Other All things Snooker

Remove this Banner Ad

World championships began overnight at The Crucible.

Selby out! Lost 10-4 to Joe Perry; can't say I'm sad to see that.

More worryingly, Ronnie is behind 6-3 to Stephen Maguire going into tonight's second session. Losing the top two seeds would be a blow for the tournament.

few of the big guns already gone so world's will be an interesting affair.

an interesting view from the head of snooker.

World championships began overnight at The Crucible.
Pretty much watched the whole tournament last year.

Only got a chance to watch a couple of frames last week. Finally sitting down for my first full session tonight.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to time it to go up to Sheffield next year and watch a bit live.

Terrible timezone for those back in Oz.

Night session between WIlson and Higgins was incredibly high quality. Higgins 94%, Wilson 95% pot success.

It's getting harder for me to stay up and watch the matches - there's an upside to the expansion into China - but the final, what I saw of it was pretty good. I wish I could have seen more, but at least I did get to see Williams's closed-eyes pot and him spanking the table.

few of the big guns already gone so world's will be an interesting affair.

an interesting view from the head of snooker.

Barry Hearn, was the manager of one of the best safety players of all time in Steve Davis.
Thought he would have known that good safety play can be as entertaining as just going for pots.

While I loved watching the exciting play of Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry ect. I also learnt to appreciate the Steve Davis’s, John Parrot’s and Willie Thorne’s ect with their exquisite safety shots. Forcing a mistake.

Hearn needs to relearn that Snooker isn’t 8-ball or 9-ball.

Barry Hearn, was the manager of one of the best safety players of all time in Steve Davis.
Thought he would have known that good safety play can be as entertaining as just going for pots.

While I loved watching the exciting play of Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry ect. I also learnt to appreciate the Steve Davis’s, John Parrot’s and Willie Thorne’s ect with their exquisite safety shots. Forcing a mistake.

Hearn needs to relearn that Snooker isn’t 8-ball or 9-ball.

It's not safety that Hearn's worried about, it's players taking a long time to make a shot (safety or otherwise.) He's talking about shot times, not pot times.

It's not safety that Hearn's worried about, it's players taking a long time to make a shot (safety or otherwise.) He's talking about shot times, not pot times.

So a bit like the 30 second rule in 8 ball.
Still hope it doesn’t come down to the amateur ranks, like the miss rule did.
In low grade competions , imo put a lot of players off. Where once, if it was seen that you was making an effort to get out of a snooker, a free ball or the four points was sufficient. Then it was if you missed, it’s replay the shot over. It put a lot of newer players off. I can understand it for higher grade competitions where the standard of play is better, but for grass roots, it was a deterrent.

In low grade competions , imo put a lot of players off. Where once, if it was seen that you was making an effort to get out of a snooker, a free ball or the four points was sufficient. Then it was if you missed, it’s replay the shot over. It put a lot of newer players off. I can understand it for higher grade competitions where the standard of play is better, but for grass roots, it was a deterrent.

Miss rule for lower standard players is demoralizing and no good for average leagues.

When i play on my table at home against blokes that are mostly Pool players and not bad at potting a ball but lack the finesse that is needed in Snooker i explain to them the miss rule when i snooker them and they are dumbfounded when they realize what the ramifications are when they are totally snookered with no way to hit a Red at all if the miss was enforced! Instead it is a foul and the the other blokes shot to take or leave etc.

Good safety players will maul good potters at lower levels if the miss rule is enforced as 1 good Snooker can nearly end a frame very early when your opponent cannot get out of a good snooker and gives you 40 odd points trying and failing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think many, including Hearn, really want to see a shot clock introduced across the/a board (it works OK in the Shootout, but then again many don't like that that's now a ranking tournament). Hearn is more worried about players who have a long average shot time. I don't think he has a problem with anyone taking 2-3 minutes to work out how to get out of a tricky snooker or safety position, but he is worried about players that have an average of more than 30 seconds across a match or matches.

As he says (in the article linked above):

"Unlike Golf, we're not going to tap someone on the shoulder and say 'you're on the clock'.
"We're going to look at their shot times over a three-monthly period and if we feel at the end of the season that we need to incorporate this in the rules of play, then we will take that decision.
"We set ourselves a target and we cannot understand that over a long peroid of tournaments why 30 seconds should ever be consistently exceeded, but it is."

Miss rule for lower standard players is demoralizing and no good for average leagues.

When i play on my table at home against blokes that are mostly Pool players and not bad at potting a ball but lack the finesse that is needed in Snooker i explain to them the miss rule when i snooker them and they are dumbfounded when they realize what the ramifications are when they are totally snookered with no way to hit a Red at all if the miss was enforced! Instead it is a foul and the the other blokes shot to take or leave etc.

Good safety players will maul good potters at lower levels if the miss rule is enforced as 1 good Snooker can nearly end a frame very early when your opponent cannot get out of a good snooker and gives you 40 odd points trying and failing!

I agree with everything you say. Which is why I think if you want to entice new players to a competition, you need to relax some of the more stringent rules, like the miss. As they develop the confidence and progress, then introduce that rule. I remember playing as a 16 year old, where you had a good night out, as it wasn’t taken that seriously. Just a beer with mates more or less!

I agree with everything you say. Which is why I think if you want to entice new players to a competition, you need to relax some of the more stringent rules, like the miss. As they develop the confidence and progress, then introduce that rule. I remember playing as a 16 year old, where you had a good night out, as it wasn’t taken that seriously. Just a beer with mates more or less!

Miss rule is not enforced in a lot of leagues i use to play in a few years ago but if you find yourself in Divvy 1 it will be to my knowledge now.

It just takes the fun off the game the miss rule for ordinary blokes and not to mention trying to put the balls back to where they were prior to the foul and with TV and professional refferees it makes it easy.

When i play with a mate who is quite good and slightly better than me we play the miss rule between us but if we know we are about to break the balls up trying to get out of a well played snooker we take a photo of the table with our phones so we can easily put the balls back where they were etc. We have had many 4am finishes on weekends with 7pm starts Snooker session wise!

Last edited:
882FD58B-22D0-4DB1-B655-257624374C6A.png

Also has a new Cue which is weird cause Neil has played with the same Parris Cue his dad brought him when he was about 17yo and players rarely change much.

Seems to have worked though and I think he also went down in ferrule size from 9.5 to 9.3mm which does not sound like much but it is.

Good news for us in Oz who have Foxtel.

Many of snooker’s biggest tournaments will be televised live by Eurosport in Australia for the first time this season.

Fans throughout Australia will be able to watch huge events including the World Championship, UK Championship, the Masters and the Home Nations series. Coverage will start with next week’s Shanghai Masters (September 10-16).

Eurosport already broadcasts snooker to 137 million homes in 54 countries and will now grow its reach by televising the sport in Australia. World Snooker has a long term partnership with Eurosport which runs until 2026.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “This is fantastic news for fans in Australia, who have been asking us for years for live coverage of our biggest tournaments. We know there is demand in the region and we hope that regular broadcast of snooker will help our sport grow in Australia.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/eurosport-to-broadcast-live-snooker-in-australia/

Kicks off this arvo 4:30pm Vic time live on Eurosports channel with the ranking Shanghai masters event.

Robertson on atm. Up 1-0

Dominant win from NR but Ronnie is waiting for him now. :(

Needs to play lights out to beat O'Sullivan but anything can happen.

Also my favourite non Aussie player in Stewy McGill is in good form and kept his opponent to 0pts in the first 3 frames which is virtually unheard of at this level and McGill will win the world championship one day. ;)

Been loving the snooker from Shanghai and Belgium. Looking forward to the final tonight.
Been a tournament of upsets and I thought Mark King would be a Monty to win with what was left of the field yesterday and he got rolled by Jimmy Robertson in a shock loss.

Still think Joe Perry has it in the bag if he does not beat himself but who knows!

Been a tournament of upsets and I thought Mark King would be a Monty to win with what was left of the field yesterday and he got rolled by Jimmy Robertson in a shock loss.

Still think Joe Perry has it in the bag if he does not beat himself but who knows!

Who knows indeed. I don't think I've seen so many frames where a player gets to a 60+ point lead and still get rolled on the black ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back