NO TROLLS NO JAB NO PLAY POLICY

Remove this Banner Ad

This topic is worthy of sensible discussion. Take your trolling to Bay 13 and your conspiracy theories to the relevant boards.
This thread is about the AFL, staff and players, not about politics and anti vax rants.

Thank you

Last edited:
What kind of society will we become if we decide not to give anti-vaxxers (as ignorant and misguided as they are) medical treatment if they contract Covid19.

That would almost make the medical industry monsters, deciding who gets to Iive and or possibly die because that said person was fearful and ignorant about getting the jab.

Read up on the Hippocratic Oath Folks.
Only if hospitals fill. If there is capacity, everyone should get access to medical facilities. But an unvaccinated, non-exempt person with coronavirus shouldn't get a bed if it means someone else misses out.

What kind of society will we become if we decide not to give anti-vaxxers (as ignorant and misguided as they are) medical treatment if they contract Covid19.

That would almost make the medical industry monsters, deciding who gets to Iive and or possibly die because that said person was fearful and ignorant about getting the jab.

Isn't this what triage is though?

If you refuse to get the vax and then contract Covid, then why the feck should you be eligible to be treated in the public system which is funded by taxpayers money ??

Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too with this one.

You are straight out advocating for jungle law here.

Get a hold of yourself. Seriously.

I think the answer to this is either a yearly medicare tax you have to pay if you're not vaccinated or some sort of tax that applies every time you check into a non essential service if you're not vaccinated.

Similar to the tobacco and alcohol taxes we already have to help offset the drain on the health system that these choices create.
the government taxes us for not having private health insurance, which is a ******* joke given how much of a scam it is sometimes and the access to the universal healthcare system. taxing people because they refused simple, free and instant preventitive treatment (ie vaccines) is entirely reasonable.

this. we cannot refuse people treatment, we are not bloody america. but we can tax them extra (like with private health insurance, tobacco, alcohol etc) to account for the additional risk and workload they put on the system.

Only if hospitals fill. If there is capacity, everyone should get access to medical facilities. But an unvaccinated, non-exempt person with coronavirus shouldn't get a bed if it means someone else misses out.

Isn't this what triage is though?

You decide who gets the bed based on who needs it most in their current state of health. That is and should always be the way. If the unvaccinated person is in desperate need of medical attention while the vaccinated person could wait a little while and be OK... the unvaccinated person must and will always be seen to first.

Triaging is not a decision of who lives and who dies. It's who needs help the most.

It's great that the AFL have mandated it. 100% correct decision.

Regarding the refusal to treat, I'm pissed off as much as the next person for those who are choosing not to get vaccinated (Not at those who can't due to the very limited medical conditions), but you need to treat them too.

If anything, throw a treatment levy for those who have made the insane choice not to get the vaccine and end up in hospital. Also Medicare levy increase regardless of income.

I don't think the Hippocratic Oath holds much weight to be honest.

The head of the Victorian AMA said the following today: Those do not believe Covid-19 is real or a threat should update their advanced care directives and inform their relatives that they do not wish to receive care in the public health system if diagnosed with the virus

Quite rightly both the national AMA and the Victorian Government have pointed out this isn't going to happen - treatment will be provided regardless of belief or vaccination status. The AMA noted: “Doctors will always provide care to patients considering their right to make their own decisions, even bad ones like not getting #vacced,” and James Merlino: “I can understand the sentiment but that’s not the way we operate. We need to care for every single Victorian,” .

I get the frustration but the bottom line is people get treatment regardless of whatever stupid decision they've made.

Good work by the AFL.

I don't think that there's any case for a debate on this one, there's no reasonable opposing view, or even a shade of doubt that can be cast.

Clearly disappointing that they have to implement what the government should have mandated for everyone.

Right?

Any truth to the rumour Eastern Wood retired due to the vaxx mandate? Heard from a pretty reliable source, but it wasn’t mentioned through the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the Hippocratic Oath holds much weight to be honest.

The head of the Victorian AMA said the following today: Those do not believe Covid-19 is real or a threat should update their advanced care directives and inform their relatives that they do not wish to receive care in the public health system if diagnosed with the virus

Quite rightly both the national AMA and the Victorian Government have pointed out this isn't going to happen - treatment will be provided regardless of belief or vaccination status. The AMA noted: “Doctors will always provide care to patients considering their right to make their own decisions, even bad ones like not getting #vacced,” and James Merlino: “I can understand the sentiment but that’s not the way we operate. We need to care for every single Victorian,” .

I get the frustration but the bottom line is people get treatment regardless of whatever stupid decision they've made.

HO relevant in functioning healthcare, however IF overrun (ie war) expect discrimination to apply. ie HO would imply Aus/Ger injured soldiers from 1 battle got = care via Aus Army medical in WWII, but not the practical reality given limited resources). This is the possible reality the AMA is trying to communicate.

I don't agree with this personally. I'm a chubby man because I like food and I don't like exercise and I wouldn't want my medicare to be torn up because of choices I've made.

In saying that, if I go to a hospital and I'm in a waiting room, and some otherwise fit and healthy patient requires a bed, they should be entitled to it before I am because I've made my choices.
Well, it is a reality. For example, two candidates for a liver transplant. Candiatate A) A fatty, drinks a dozen beers a night. Candidate B) Fit, healthy (except for a dodgy liver), eats well blah..... who do u think gets the liver hey?

HO relevant in functioning healthcare, however IF overrun (ie war) expect discrimination to apply. ie HO would imply Aus/Ger injured soldiers from 1 battle got = care via Aus Army medical in WWII, but not the practical reality given limited resources). This is the possible reality the AMA is trying to communicate.
Actually, a great example to illustrate the point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back