No Longer the Comeback Kings?

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by BuffDog, Oct 3, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. BuffDog

BuffDog Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fulham FC
    The Essendon sides I remember were renowned for never giving up and resulted in some famous comebacks such as the 93 prelim and of course the 69 pointer against the Roos.

However it seems this current side have lost that ability

Our largest comebacks this year were against:

RD 18 V North Melbourne 15pts
    RD 1 V Hawthorn 13pts
    RD 16 V Collingwood 13pts
    RD 22 V Gold Coast 13pts
    RD 20 V Carlton 12 points

So effectively once we are 3 goals down we are done. Perhaps theres an issue halting momentum or the players simply drop their heads

Conversely we have squandered some big leads including

RD 7 V Fremantle 27pts
    RD 15 V Brisbane 27pts
    RD 14 V Sydney 19pts
    RD 19 V Footscray 19pts
    RD 10 V Richmond 18pts

Sydney and Brisbane especially were games we had no right to lose and we also nearly surrended big leads against Geelong and Brisbane away.

Does anyone else see this as a major problem or perhaps just a quirk of the season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Loonerty

Loonerty Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think comparing to the 2001 and 1993 Essendon sides are the best to compare to.

Also, 19/18 point leads being lost are not that much more than the 15 point comeback.

Lore and mike14 like this.
  3. mike14

mike14 Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    NYR
    I don't know if you can use two incidents 8 years apart to claim that we were ever the 'comeback kings', but regardless (or irregardless for some of you...) of that; the current side have been together for one season, and was a mix of young footballers and experienced guys coming back after 12 months out of the game (and more than that mentally in lot of cases). It stands to reason that there is a higher possibility that they will be 'overrun' late in games, or not have the fitness required to get over the line.
    Looking forward, if the inability to either hold off opponents, or occasionally come from behind a win (especially against teams towards the bottom of the ladder) continues then yes it will become a problem because it simply means we won't get enough wins to make the top 4.

BuffDog likes this.
  4. BuffDog

BuffDog Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fulham FC
    I was just highlighting the two famous ones but I certainly do recall some epic comebacks recently such as west coast 2014, Fremantle Carlton and west coast 2013 and Adelaide 2011 :)

5. Towno78

Towno78 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Tbf we won something like 17/22 first quarters. Hard to come back when you're in front. Agree though, would love to have a side that you feel is always still in the game. Not too far away I hope.

Despair likes this.
  6. maskmcgee

maskmcgee Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    everyone knows west coast are the comeback kings

7. JayJ20

JayJ20 Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    OP has a point. Something that I've noticed as well. We were able to come back from big margins before the suspensions. We didn't seem to be able to turn the game as much this year.

8. Bomberbuzz1

Bomberbuzz1 All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    We're one of the worst teams in terms of fitness. There may have been a few games against the bottom teams where we came in with big heads but overall our intent and gameplan were there however we lacked the fitness. I'd be surprised if this cannot be improved. Players coming back from a year off and the younger blokes would have been fatigued from 2016 as more was asked/ required from them. The goal over preseason would be to become the pinnacle of fitness across the league. This may not be achievable but the intent and drive will hopefully be there.

The positive I take from stats provided is that half the games we actually lost we had a 3 goal lead or more at some stage. If we had the fitness and had won those games we would of won more games than any other team. This lead me to the question, why should we focus on come backs when it seems retaining leads is arguably more important?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Lore likes this.
  9. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC, Melbourne City FC.
  10. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC, Melbourne City FC.
    fwiw I think being able to come back is all in the head, the same way as giving away leads is... or losing/winning close games.

I think early each season, if you have a big comeback and win - it gives a belief and it stays with you that year, you seem to still be alive from any position, likewise if you are ahead in a game early in the year then give up a lead and lose... you will be shakey all year in last quarters. like wise with the win or lose tight games.. they all seem to go the same way each year as an early one goes.