Multiplat No Man's Sky

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't find zinc anywhere goddammit

You find it in plants.

thamium9-no-mans-sky.jpg

I'll have another crack tomorrow, two hours wandering around getting spoooked by animals and plants that spray toxic gas has me exhausted, difficult starting planet but am loving it

You don't have to keep your Atlas stones though really. From what I understand, without getting too spoilery, you need 10 for when you get to the centre of the universe. But that might take years and there should be plenty of opportunities to get more Atlas Stones on the way.
Not quite true. Yes, you need 10, not for the centre but for the final interface. I don't want to give away too much but my advice remains the same. Don't sell your stones.

If you're interested:
The final interface is absolutely nowhere near the centre! Going there may change what happens when you get there (can't confirm yet) but it doesn't at all come close to it. Just opens up a bunch of blackholes for you to use, which still takes ages to get through given s**t breaks every time you go through one. I've spent 2 solids sessions bee-lining for the centre and I'm still not even close to half way!

Another tip, don't stress about getting to the centre too quickly. I guarantee you'll never ever feel like you rushed the journey!

I have to say I really, really like the idea of this. But I wonder if it would just be too repetitive and grindy after a few hours.

While there are billions of plants and animals to discover there's really little difference between them. They all produce the same few resources. I'm in two minds from what I've seen. Love the grand scale, love the concept, just not sure there is enough variety for me to spend the money on.
Then again, most games are repetition to large extent.

After 47 hours, I feel like the end is in sight. I don't mean the centre of the galaxy, I don't mean the final Atlas Station, I am just running out of purpose and getting to the centre doesn't motivate me. Crafting enough hyperdrive fuel would be trivial, it would all just be time consuming and pointless. You do get to a point where you have all the recipes, nothing to really spend money on, and so that moment where you discover a cave littered with Vortex Cubes is mostly robbed of its glory. I mean it's cool but I have no use for them or the money I could sell them for. I've made my way to some O0 class star system that are full to the brim with rare resources, but it's pointless because I have no use for them. I can craft most of the alloys but there doesn't appear to be any reason to do so.

A lot of the enjoyment of the exploration is driven by the value of the things you find. The practical use of it all. Finding interesting animals is cool, but one giant dinosaur is much like another. Until you find one that is aggressive. But again - that's only a unique experience the first time. The gathering/crafting game just abruptly ends, you just get to the top tier all too quickly and that's it. For me, the game got a lot less compelling after that.

It would be not quite so bad if wasn't that you could get every single rare resource you need to build everything from simply farming crashed ships and dismantling them. So when you finally find a planet with Radnox, it's not a 'I can finally build that super-weapon!!!!' moment, it's an 'oh, that's what it is. Huh,' moment.

I could spend my time just searching for that one planet where I'd really like to build a base some day, but without knowing how or if that will work, it seems like a crap-shoot. Plus if I find it I'd have to just save and quit there and then not play until base-building is in, because * if I want to go searching for a system I went to once upon a time again on the galactic 'map'. That thing is a mess.

I loved most of the time I've had with the game so far despite its many shortcomings and I think there is a lot to work with here. Potentially a lot we simply haven't discovered yet since nothing is actually explained or documented. For example there actually are different kinds of ships with hidden attributes but it isn't mentioned anywhere in the game. You have to notice that some ships have more HP than others and then determine that it isn't because of your installed upgrades through experimentation to find this out. So who knows what else is in there that no one's figured out yet?

One review I saw described the game as a glorified tech demo and there is something to that. The actual game attached to the procedural generation is pretty thin. It's enough to drive a player forward for a while, but not for long. I'll probably do a little more relaxed space tourism and find myself a ship that I really like, but I'll be playing a handful of hours a week rather than the 9 hours a day I played for the first 2 or 3. Mostly I'll be waiting to see if they attach a more complete game, because I fee like this game could be glorious if they keep working on it for another year or two.

As it is, I'm definitely happy with my purchase and with the time I spent on the game. I didn't spend the last two years watching every single interview and reading every single preview, so I didn't notice most of the 'missing features' until I read about them elsewhere. I might have had a more sour experience if I'd expected much more before I got the game. I would cautiously recommend it to anyone who has watched a few videos (post release gameplay only, not trailers or first look videos) of it and thought it looked fun. I'd confidently recommend it to anyone who likes space games and sci-fi generally when it's on sale.

It's either the best 6/10 game ever or the most flawed 9/10. Not sure which, or that it really matters. First 20 hours were an absolute blast, next 30 were fun but less compelling.

I also think they've cheapened the experience of finding life. Life should be extremely rare. Finding it should be a "eureka" moment, that rewards your exploration. Instead it's a dime a dozen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are these planets undiscovered when they have building from other races on them?

It's the return of colonialism. You don't recognise the original owners rights.

"I pronounce this Planet "New Footypie land!"

Alien race: "but we found this planet ages ago. We even named it and built things on it!"

"That name is stupid. All hail Footypie land!"

Had a distress signal in the middle of space and couldnt find them...

Also had elite sentinels go nuts because I touched a flower.

Bought a bloody ugly ship as well, for an extra 8 slots.

Still no Atlas key.
Had that recently, I have a feeling it is some sort of timed space battle.

From what I've read elsewhere it is between pirates and a freighter but having ignored it and then returned to it later on I can't confirm it.

So after my last post, the very next planet I found is a Lush Planet with trees, grass, lakes, mountains, looks amazing. It's located in a system that is jam-packed with resources. Would be the *perfect* place to build a base some day. A screenshot:

20160823202702_1.jpg

So after my last post, the very next planet I found is a Lush Planet with trees, grass, lakes, mountains, looks amazing. It's located in a system that is jam-packed with resources. Would be the *perfect* place to build a base some day. A screenshot:

View attachment 280185
hows-the-serenity-The-Castle.gif

Game is actually growing on me a bit. Just found a 23 slot ship to repair so got a bit more room. Just cruising around at low altitude looking for suit upgrades. Might jump to another system soon, although one of the planets has little red cube spawns that sell for a decent amount, even if they piss off the local sentinels when I grab them.

I really really need to upgrade my Graphics Card though. Ive dumbed down every graphical setting you can think of so my GTX560 doesnt melt itself down in my case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back