Multiplat No Man's Sky

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
So this was announced at the VGX's today and it looks crazy ambitious. Even moreso when you consider it's made by 4 people! No platforms's have been announced as yet.

Trailer at the link
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/7/5186774/exploration-sim-no-mans-sky-coming-from-hello-games

In the game's debut trailer, No Man's Sky was pitched as an exploration game where "every atom" is procedurally generated, from flora and fauna to the stars in the sky. Every planet and every galaxy is procedural, and filled with unexplored territories. The trailer shows that players will be able to explore underwater environments, the surfaces of planets, the skies and outer space in spaceships.

Murray said that, on planets, if you can see it — whether it be a mountain miles away in the distance — you can walk there. The game's persistent world is being created by the small team at Hello Games, and puts players into an ecosystem where they're not at the top of the food chain, Murray said. Space-based combat against other players and capital ships appears to be a major component of No Man's Sky.

no_mans_sky.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
Nov 25, 2010
Jamestown
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm very excited about this, being a 4 man team I think they will join Sonys indie dev program where by they get given assistance with development in exchange for exclusivity on the ps4 console.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
I'm very excited about this, being a 4 man team I think they will join Sonys indie dev program where by they get given assistance with development in exchange for exclusivity on the ps4 console.

Hello games has 13 employees apparently. You'd imagine more will move onto this as it could be really big if successful.

Definitely one of the most impressive showings, despite the lack of true gameplay. The game looks absolutely ridiculously gorgeous.

Seems Sony have bailed them out after the unfortunate flooding their studios got and thus have given an exclusive release period, at a guess anyway.

The devs know what they're doing and know how to make good games, so I have this one high on my anticipated list for sure.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Is this exclusive to PS4? When does it release?

I was blown away by the E3 Trailer, might need to buy a PS4 sooner than planned just for this!!!!

Is this exclusive to PS4? When does it release?

I was blown away by the E3 Trailer, might need to buy a PS4 sooner than planned just for this!!!!
Timed exclusive.

No date as of yet.

The fact that going from land to space so quickly without a load time is the main reason why i want this game.
Hope other sci-fi games follow this trend.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Starting to buy into the hype for this. Looks excellent.

But we should.

It just feels like we are talking about a game with all the info at hand, and people are making declarations. Here's what we know.

• It's got dinosaurs and spaceships.
  • It's procedurally generated content...whatever that means.
we know nothing else about gameplay, combat etc.

Apologies if my sarcasm was hard to detect.

When I made the initial query about the game's plot/genre I was at my work PC that blocks VG content (barring this forum of course), so on a slow Friday arvo I was hoping to get some info about the game.

My follow up regarding "exploration" was to address the poster's opinion about how he'd be happy with it. My opinion about it was merely a generalisation.

Just shooting the s**t. :)

But we should.

It just feels like we are talking about a game with all the info at hand, and people are making declarations. Here's what we know.

• It's got dinosaurs and spaceships.
  • It's procedurally generated content...whatever that means.
we know nothing else about gameplay, combat etc.
Procedurally generated means that every single level/world/area in the game is made from a base set of assets and randomly applied. Effectively, it means that nobody will ever get the exact same area to explore, every world will be different.

In that respect it's similar to a game like Minecraft. Of course, we're still yet to know what sort of gameplay influences will go into this world, which is the most interesting part for sure.

Back