AFL Grand Final No More Excuses About Where The Grand Final Is

Remove this Banner Ad

One day it might dawn on you
That there are coalitions? Really? I thought everyone just supports their own team.

So Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton are all on one side together? You guys have joined forces?

Vics can win in any conditions, they just footy better than the rest.
Of course teams can win in any conditions. Is this news?

Do you claim some kind of vindication from other Victorian sides' success? If Richmond win a third flag in four years next weekend, will you get a kick out of that because they're based in Victoria? That seems weird to me.

If Fremantle and Sydney were in the GF, I can't imagine gleaning any satisfaction from that. I support the Eagles. I don't support a coalition that includes other non-Victorian teams.

For what is apparently a neutral ground, I imagine 90% of Geelong supporters are happy about not playing Richmond at the MCG (I certainly am.) In the end might not make a huge difference, Richmond might win anyway, but the Gabba is truly a neutral ground in this case.
Yeah this year Geelong have played more games at the GABBA, Tigers played more in Metricon.

It won’t make any difference,
So why don't we play all finals at the MCG?

It's because we accept the fairness principle that sides can earn home finals by finishing/qualifying higher. Why does that principle go out the window where the GF is concerned?
Because no gaurantee will get as many people at earlier games.

It is all about $$ and exposure.

The finals were never home ground, always G or Waverley.

But once you started having Eagles v Port at Waverley in a SF you are not gauranteed to get the bigger crowd.

So makes sense to transition early finals to the state of the competing teams.

Problem is the nuffies somehow conclude it is ‘earnt home finals’. Not the case at all.

Because no gaurantee will get as many people at earlier games.
Huh?

It is all about $$ and exposure.
So we should play them all at the biggest ground? Or do you accept that there is a fairness principle involved? That is, teams can earn home finals.

The finals were never home ground, always G or Waverley.

But once you started having Eagles v Port at Waverley in a SF you are not gauranteed to get the bigger crowd.
What about GWS v Collingwood? You'd get a bigger crowd playing it at the MCG. Look at last year's PF, when they got 77,000. You're not getting that crowd in NSW. They'd get maybe 20,000 at Giants Stadium.

But if GWS finish higher, they play that final in NSW. How do you explain this if there is no fairness principle around earned home finals?

If GWS finish 1st and Collingwood finish 4th, where should that final be played?

So makes sense to transition early finals to the state of the competing teams.

Problem is the nuffies somehow conclude it is ‘earnt home finals’. Not the case at all.
Of course it's "earned home finals". I don't know how else you explain it.

Last edited:

That there are coalitions? Really? I thought everyone just supports their own team.

So Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton are all on one side together? You guys have joined forces?

Of course teams can win in any conditions. Is this news?

Do you claim some kind of vindication from other Victorian sides' success? If Richmond win a third flag in four years next weekend, will you get a kick out of that because they're based in Victoria? That seems weird to me.

If Fremantle and Sydney were in the GF, I can't imagine gleaning any satisfaction from that. I support the Eagles. I don't support a coalition that includes other non-Victorian teams.
Yep, i know how most eagles supporters think, they couldn't give a rats about the league.

I was more talking about the Grand Final and playing at the MCG FOREVER, it shows this year, the AFL give non-Vics a leg up every year and they just aren't good enough.

Huh?

So we should play them all at the biggest ground? Or do you accept that there is a fairness principle involved? That is, teams can earn home finals.

What about GWS v Collingwood? You'd get a bigger crowd playing it at the MCG. Look at last year's PF, when they got 77,000. You're not getting that crowd in NSW. They'd get maybe 20,000 at Giants Stadium.

But if GWS finish higher, they play that final in NSW. How do you explain this if there is no fairness principle around earned home finals?

If GWS finish 1st and Collingwood finish 4th, where should that final be played?

Of course it's "earned home finals". I don't know how else you explain it.
The afl schedules the early finals in the State of the highest ranked team, it is about ensuring their will always be strong crowd interest.

Giants v Port, no point scheduling that at the MCG. And so the AFL made a ruling that for early finals they will be played in the State

They aren’t ‘home’ games, the AFL determines what ground is best fit...hence Sydney fixtures at grounds outside of SCG as an example.

Finals have never ever been about fairness, always about maximising $ and exposure for the league.

Yep, i know how most eagles supporters think, they couldn't give a rats about the league.
I don't glean satisfaction from non-Victorian sides generally doing well. Why would I?

And yeah, I think it's weird that you claim any kind of vindication from seeing two Victorian sides in the GF. Aren't Richmond one of your hated rivals? Now you're celebrating their success? When did that happen?

You're now a little cheerleader for the Tigers? You're not slightly embarrassed to be doing that?

I was more talking about the Grand Final and playing at the MCG FOREVER, it shows this year, the AFL give non-Vics a leg up every year and they just aren't good enough.
Huh? What are you blethering about?

What a weird thing to hang your hat on.

Last edited:
The afl schedules the early finals in the State of the highest ranked team, it is about ensuring their will always be strong crowd interest.
But why? They'd get a bigger crowd if they played it at the MCG.

Giants v Port, no point scheduling that at the MCG. And so the AFL made a ruling that for early finals they will be played in the State

If it's about maximising crowds, that should be played at the MCG, right?

They aren’t ‘home’ games, the AFL determines what ground is best fit...hence Sydney fixtures at grounds outside of SCG as an example.

They could get four times as many people at the MCG so why wouldn't it be played there?

I don't glean satisfaction from non-Victorian sides generally doing well. Why would I?

And yeah, I think it's weird that you claim any kind of vindication from seeing two Victorian sides in the GF. Aren't Richmond one of your hated rivals? Now you're celebrating their success? When did that happen?

You're now a little cheerleader for the Tigers? You're not slightly embarrassed to be doing that?

Huh? What are you blethering about?

What a weird thing to hang your hat on.
Haha, you seem a hate inspired person, if you would like to know, my wife supports Richmond, so that is who i will go for in the final, some don't hate you know.

You enjoy the eagles, i will enjoy the league.

Haha, you seem a hate inspired person, if you would like to know, my wife supports Richmond, so that is who i will go for in the final, some don't hate you know.
That's great that you have a second team. Do you have a Richmond scarf you can wear?

And there are another 8 Victorian sides so you've got plenty of choice besides Richmond and Collingwood. That must be exciting to be a fan of so many teams.

You enjoy the eagles, i will enjoy the league.
What kind of a weirdo supports the whole league?

All I see here is non vics going waah waah waah, and vics telling them that they are, and always will be inferior.

It’s childish.

Unfortunately so am I. Go suck a tube sandwich you foreign rent boys.

One day you too will invent the best game in the world and us vics will look on enviously and try to destroy your competition from within.

Nah. Just kidding. We will go start our own so you can join it

But why? They'd get a bigger crowd if they played it at the MCG.

If it's about maximising crowds, that should be played at the MCG, right?

They could get four times as many people at the MCG so why wouldn't it be played there?
If ANZ stadium is available for AFL games it would be schedule there.

It ain’t a GWS home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ANZ stadium is available for AFL games it would be schedule there.
Says who? They've played finals at Giants Stadium, which has a capacity of 24,000.

Why do they do this if it's all about maximising crowds?

It ain’t a GWS home game.
It's a home final, earned by virtue of finishing higher on the ladder.

Nah. Tigers finally have a decent opponent and the refs won't know who to shaft.

Crows were smashed by the refs and simply weren't good enough to cover that. GWS simply didn't turn up.

Geelong will turn up so no soft opposition this year.
refs?

Says who? They've played finals at Giants Stadium, which has a capacity of 24,000.

Why do they do this if it's all about maximising crowds?

It's a home final, earned by virtue of finishing higher on the ladder.
Yeah they play some their if they don’t think the crowd would warrant moving elsewhere.

In 2016 AFL scheduled Sydney v GWS at ANZ, not the SCG because they knew demand warranted the shift...they were right as it got 60k+

They ain’t going to bother to shift GWS v Eagles, as it didn’t even get 75% capacity anyway with just 15k

And why would you bother playing that at the G?

It isn’t a home final, it is home state final and the AFL picks the stadium they think is best.

Yeah, what's your point?

Why do teams get the right to host finals in their home state?

Is that where you sit, so you can cheer for both teams and the league as a whole?
I know you wouldn't understand, as most of WC supporters just abandoned their 100+ year league, but i support this league, i support Collingwood in this league, but all you care about is WC.

If you Victorians think hubbing for 15 weeks in Queensland is the equivalent of traveling every 2nd game for:

34 years like West Coast Eagles

30 years like Adelaide Crows

26 years like Fremantle

24 years like Port Adelaide

Then you really do have your heads up your own arses.

And by the way the Eagles and Dockers both hubbed for 10 weeks in Queensland this year also.
And yet for a year when it all was stacked in the interstate teams favour .....here you ain't

Yeah they play some their if they don’t think the crowd would warrant moving elsewhere.
So if GWS finished 1st and Collingwood finished 4th, where would they draw the bigger crowd? ANZ Stadium or the MCG?

Presumably the bigger crowd would be in Melbourne? So they should play it there?

I mean, the Giants have never drawn more than 21,000 to a home final. So if GWS come up against a Victorian team in the finals, surely they should play those games in Victoria where they'd get at least 30,000?

Or do you accept that teams can earn the right to host a final in their home state?

In 2016 AFL scheduled Sydney v GWS at ANZ, not the SCG because they knew demand warranted the shift...they were right as it got 60k+

They ain’t going to bother to shift GWS v Eagles, as it didn’t even get 75% capacity anyway with just 15k

And why would you bother playing that at the G?
Last year GWS hosted the Bulldogs at Giants Stadium in an EF. That drew just 19,000 people.

If it's all about maximising crowds, why didn't they play that in Melbourne? They'd have got more than 19,000.

It isn’t a home final, it is home state final and the AFL picks the stadium they think is best.
Sure, it's a home state final. And you accept that teams can earn the right to play those games in their home state?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back