No more free streaming on AFL app for telstra customers

Remove this Banner Ad

wolvesRoos

Premium Gold
Sep 13, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just had a note to update my AFL app with it is a note to say no more free streaming. Thats annoying. didnt use it much but could solve an argument if the wife wanted me in another room

Harpergun

Debutant
Mar 7, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Telstra customers can get Kayo for $5 per month for 12 months and then $25 per month after the initial 12.

Ive had Kayo for around a year now and found its pretty good value for any sport lover.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i get it through my digital membership addon, iam with aldi anyway so didnt qualify for telstra deal.

The Anvil

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Telstra customers can get Kayo for $5 per month for 12 months and then $25 per month after the initial 12.

Ive had Kayo for around a year now and found its pretty good value for any sport lover.
I've had Kayo since it started, has been great. If it somehow started televising the newly revamped VFL comp I'd be ecstatic.

Hearts to hearts

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

The Telstra streaming wasn't great - only phone size, even if you watched on something larger. Better than nothing and free with my account, I've used it pretty often anyway.

Kayo is much better and for $5 a month well worth it. But jumping to $25/month after that is a lot if you only really want to watch football. I couldn't justify it, and there will be more and more weekends I just don't see games at all.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Telstra streaming wasn't great - only phone size, even if you watched on something larger. Better than nothing and free with my account, I've used it pretty often anyway.

Kayo is much better and for $5 a month well worth it. But jumping to $25/month after that is a lot if you only really want to watch football. I couldn't justify it, and there will be more and more weekends I just don't see games at all.
strictly speaking afl live is 700 lines which is just below DVD. however it like netflix and other streams can reduce quality when it detects latency. with the old MHL and plugging in after the stream begins trick i can generally get the full 700 lines playback on our 60" tv.

as you say kayo for a fiver a month is a fair deal but for $25/mo they can stick it.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What happens to my Club Digital membership?
You will need to contact your Club to discuss details of your Club Digital membership.
hmmm looks like i wont be having a digital subscription anymore......wonder if the digital addon will be refunded?? muchess questions...

giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
I keep on getting an error when even trying to sign up but it looks like I cant use my existing Kayo subscription and have to make a new account?
I saw this comment posted under the Ozbargain link. Give this a crack.

Log into existing account, reactivate ($25month), enter TLSLP20 code, brings down to $5 month, then will take you to sign in page to Telstra, SMS verification, then entire details for payment to activate $5 a month.

Mar 29, 2010
¯\_(シ)_/¯
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LAL-MMA-Victory-CFC-Seahawks
I saw this comment posted under the Ozbargain link. Give this a crack.

Log into existing account, reactivate ($25month), enter TLSLP20 code, brings down to $5 month, then will take you to sign in page to Telstra, SMS verification, then entire details for payment to activate $5 a month.
No go. :(. Thanks though mate.

I get this through the kayo site

1612243461198.png

and this through the telstra site

1612243471469.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gasometer

TheBrownDog
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
And so dies the AFL App.

Won’t be going there anymore.

Anyway, you have to feel sorry for Telstra when they had all those people on the Internet in 2020 using all those devices for everything. Probably only made $800 trillion more than 2019. Give that they may grow!

Footy Focus Podcast

Actually support NMFC
Jun 8, 2020
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS

SunnyBoner

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I only watch AFL and A League so i swapped from Fox to Kayo to save a few bucks and it's been pretty disappointing. Does anyone else have a problem with Kayo buffering all the time. It's incredibly annoying. I'e been told it might be my internet or our server. Anyone got any ideas?

Gumble Frankieton

Premium Gold
Jul 3, 2007
The North
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I only watch AFL and A League so i swapped from Fox to Kayo to save a few bucks and it's been pretty disappointing. Does anyone else have a problem with Kayo buffering all the time. It's incredibly annoying. I'e been told it might be my internet or our server. Anyone got any ideas?
I’ve signed up with Kayo for the footy season the last couple of years. The first year it was pretty good, with only minor buffering. But it was pretty much a stinking turd of buffering last year. Kind of strange as we are on a good NBN plan and have no issues streaming any other service.
Swapping from HD to SD might help. Moving the modem closer to the TV and complaining to Kayo didn’t help.

Hazey1977

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2008
Dili, Timor-Leste
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FFC, Wimbledon Hawks, Hudi Laran FC
Run a speedtest. www.speedtest.net

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Anvil

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Buffering is due to your connection speed, not the app. You need a minimum of 15mbps to avoid that.

The standard NBN should be near enough to crystal clear at around 45mbps.

Apps like Netflix automatically reduce your resolution on buffering, you can do this manually if you need to with Kayo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SunnyBoner

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Buffering is due to your connection speed, not the app. You need a minimum of 15mbps to avoid that.

The standard NBN should be near enough to crystal clear at around 45mbps.

Apps like Netflix automatically reduce your resolution on buffering, you can do this manually if you need to with Kayo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah no problems with buffering on Netflix or any other streaming services, just Kayo.

Remove this Banner Ad