Roast No more pre-game team warmups

Remove this Banner Ad

People going nuts over this and claiming it will destroy the game they love are massively over-reacting.

Think from memory the on-field warm up an hour or so before the bounce was something that Terry Wallace did in the early 2000s.

So it has only been going for 15 years...footy was fine in the 90s before teams did this.

If both teams have to abide by the same rules it won't have any impact to my enjoyment of the game.

People going nuts over this and claiming it will destroy the game they love are massively over-reacting.

Think from memory the on-field warm up an hour or so before the bounce was something that Terry Wallace did in the early 2000s.

So it has only been going for 15 years...footy was fine in the 90s before teams did this.

If both teams have to abide by the same rules it won't have any impact to my enjoyment of the game.
I don’t have a reserved seat, so it gives me something decent to watch while I wait. It also gives a heads up on any late change/s.

If a match is at the G we can always utilise Olympic Park, but not all clubs have a similar option.

There was also a pre-game in those days wasn't there?

I can remember that sometimes at 3 quarter time in the Reserves match (pre game) some senior players would come onto the ground for a look around...checking ground conditions, wind etc...getting a feel for it.
Some in their civies, others in track suit & runners.

Yeah obviously going back there was usually a reserve game.

Players would come out, often in slacks and leather shoes at half time of the reserves, and have a stroll and a kick.

There was no ‘formal’ full team warm-up, not until Wallace started them in the early 2000s.

There will be negligible impact to the actual senior AFL game.

I like it actually as the gladiators will now enter the field of battle for the first time and be seen by the adoring masses close to the time they get ready to rumble.

Increases the anticipation and appetite for the ensuring contest for mine and if they could get rid of the blaring music, kiss cams and fake crowd noise etc being pumped through the speakers also we could get back to the time the ever increasing masses coming from the turnstiles set the atmosphere, people could speak to and hear people surrounding them easily which was far superior to the attempted Americanization of our sport with all these artificial gimmicks.

I actually like that they just come out, get ready and then go for it. I don't need to see them warm up and then cool down before warming up again!
Its a little reminder of "old school"
Now if they'd just put on an AFLW match before the game and do it like the old ressies...then I'd love to see that!
Or a VFL game....or even a TAC match....its great to get the extra footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back