Roast No More Torps Goldy.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have seen this "tactic" used about 7 or 8 times now, and to my knowledge, only on one occasion has it been a success.

Last night, IT DIED.

Travis Cloke kicked a goal to get us within 3 points, the ball goes down the other end, and is knocked through for a point, this is where we "HAVE THE BALL", why waste it.

Goldsack kicks a torp, STRAIGHT TO MARIC, just a dumb idea and bad execution, and it cost us a goal.

THE TORP IS DEAD, AT LEAST WHEN KICKING IN.

When he did it for the first time, I thought it was something we might see every 3 weeks or so. Doing it two or three times a game is far too regular. It is a fairly easy play to repel if you are expecting it, it is the element of surprise which can make it devastating. I like a dash of unpredictability thrown into our matches, but it is losing its effect the more we do it.

Keep it in the bag of tricks, but spread the Pies out a little more just in case it doesn't come off. It went straight to a group of 3 Crows last night.

I think it's a great tactic, but Goldy's execution simply isn't good enough. He needs to connect to around 75% of them, whereas currently it's closer to 12.5%. He also needs to kick it somewhere where we have a numbers advantage or at least 50/50, in the event that he sprays it. This shouldn't be an impossible task, the target of the torp only needs be one player hanging out the back who is decent overhead.

He said on the Sunday Footy Show that Mick's given him licence to use it "if it's on". Which he then followed with "...clearly it wasn't on, so I'll be more careful".

A man's gots to know his limitations - I reckon he's learning his :)

I was more annoyed at the "timing" of the kick, as in when he actually did it.

We had just kicked out first goal in about 40 minutes of play, and Adelaide go forward and get a point, and he pulls that out.

I would have thought that when we were finding it hard to score, a more conservative approach may have been best.

I'm being harsh when I say "ban it", but it must be controlled, and timed perfectly, like when we are 4-5 goals up, or absolutely on fire, not in a low scoring, tight tussle where every goal was crucial.

He said on the Sunday Footy Show that Mick's given him licence to use it "if it's on". Which he then followed with "...clearly it wasn't on, so I'll be more careful".

A man's gots to know his limitations - I reckon he's learning his :)
He kicked it when no one expected it, jolly was still 15 meters away when the kick landed. If jolly, cloke, brown are no where near where the ball is going dont try and go for it

I poop a little everytime I see him position those hands for a torp, but when it comes off I feel a bit of a tingle, and I'm not blessed with boners.

Do you really want to rob me of that tingle? Do ya?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon when we do it we should our two Key Fowards spaced out in the centre and then have our two ruckman one on each wing. That way, if the torp is successful we have at least 1 Key Forward able to make a contest and hopefully either mark it or let it crumb for the other players.

If it sprays then we know we have either Jolly or Brown to make a contest.

It's not a bad tactic but as TRS said you need to be able to connect 75% of them

In fact, he needs to do about 4 this weekend. It's the threat of him doing it is what will push out the zone and allow him more of those 40m options coming out which is really what MM is doing with this tactic.
Be unlikely to see it in the finals, but you need to tease the opposition that you could do it and it'll create more space at kick-ins. I'd be positive this is the thinking.

Rose Jam.
(I sign my s*** off)

He kicked it when no one expected it, jolly was still 15 meters away when the kick landed. If jolly, cloke, brown are no where near where the ball is going dont try and go for it

They were in the right place if he'd hit it right. He didn't connect, so it fell about 15-20 short. But yeah, needs to be used sparingly and at the right time. Keep attempting it, and teams will still need to account for the possibility.

I think it's a great tactic, but Goldy's execution simply isn't good enough. He needs to connect to around 75% of them, whereas currently it's closer to 12.5%. He also needs to kick it somewhere where we have a numbers advantage or at least 50/50, in the event that he sprays it. This shouldn't be an impossible task, the target of the torp only needs be one player hanging out the back who is decent overhead.
Exactly, and also allow for the possibility of the shank - ie if it drops short it will not be to a nest of opposition - learning experience but I'd like to see it a lot, it really stretches the oppo's defensive strategy. and of course it is exciting.
Probably gets on to them 90% at training, just has to get used to doing it under game pressure.

It is a fairly easy play to repel if you are expecting it, it is the element of surprise which can make it devastating. I like a dash of unpredictability thrown into our matches

I think this is roughly where I'd have it. As well as agreeing with the people above who mentioned it is a great way to spread zones. I think it's certainly something we should presist with. If we get it right it will make it hard for teams to lock the ball in our defensive 50. Teams who set up the zones to space will leave themselves open to have the torp over the back.

I think however that if we are going to do it we need Goldsack hitting them right more often and also and most importantly he needs to be doing it when we are set up for it. Like any kick with a high degree of difficulty you need at least even numbers around where you are hoping to kick the ball.

Certainly a very good trick to have up the sleeve in case of being down a goal late in a game or to bust open a team that is locking you into your defensive 50. I think it's a work in progress and an optimistic one at that but certainly a worthwhile one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back