No Night Grand Final, Say Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

TV channels will eventually rule and there will be a night GF ...Money talks
I actually prefer night games like state of origin etc cause you can get on the piss The viewing audience is huge. Also many people work Saturdays

IMO players and coaches have too much say in the running of the AFL.

owww, no night grand final, owwww only 22 games a year.

Not many other sports are this soft on players.

The night grand final is a commercial decision to be made by the AFL weighing up return dividends vs supporter (in)convenience vs many other factors.

FFS, the AFL love to pick and choose which traditions stay and go don't they? It's almost a lottery in which they support and which they don't

Night GF?
MCG GF?
Changing the rules that have stood for 150 years?

It's getting to be beyond a joke now and something needs to be done ASAP befor ethese monkeys ruin the Australian Sport and grand final day and turn it into something quasi american/european with night grand finals.

It's not on.

an afl night gf isnt the way to go. if the tv networks want it because of ratings. they will still get the same amount of viewer if it was a day gf. the networks want it at night so they can stuff the fans around and not have it live on tv lik they did with last years prlim final and semi final, broadcast by 10. 10 wont show the gf live if its at night

I hate the idea of a night grand final, nothing better than a Saturday arvo game at the home of footy, don't think the players would like it either, an extra 5 hours of sitting around with a stomach full of butterflies doesn't sound pleasant.

Except it's only 12.30 over here - and I've barely gotten out of bed by that time on a Saturday. And then by 3.30 the whole thing is over before you know it after such a big build up all week.

I've got no problem with a night grand final.

Pity the game is played in Melbourne, I think how it affects the players is more important than some bloke from Perth who wants to sleep till 2 o'clock on Grand Final day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The day grand final is out dated. If we want Australian football to dominate the entire country one strategic move has to be making the AFL Grand Final a prime time event.

Millions of people still work Saturday and Australians (and I refer specifically to NSW/Qld audiences) who aren’t big on their Aussie rules footy wont, and don't, bother watching the 2pm AFL Grand Final.

A Prime time Grand Final will give the event a massive boost in terms of eyeballs and nation wide interest.

Saturday night, say 6pm Eastern Time bounce is a more convenient time for the whole country to sit around the TV and watch the showpiece event on the Australian sports calendar.

Surely a Night/twilight GF is a win/win.

Pity the game is played in Melbourne, I think how it affects the players is more important than some bloke from Perth who wants to sleep till 2 o'clock on Grand Final day

I'm not saying they should change it necessarily, but I'd have no problem with it if they did.

the networks want it at night so they can stuff the fans around and not have it live on tv lik they did with last years prlim final and semi final, broadcast by 10. 10 wont show the gf live if its at night

Well that's a rather ludicrous claim.

Changing the rules that have stood for 150 years?

I'd love to know which rules have been part of the game for 150 years.

i dont think it is. channel 10 would do something like that. last year every saturday night game was on live here in brisbane. the last 2 weeks they put those 2 games on at 8:30 and the game didnt start till 9.

10 want it at night so they can parade their hopeless contestants in the biggest loser or australian idol before the game. they dont care about the game or the fans

Whch coach favoured night ?

I reckon the cats go better aginst the hawks under lights. Couldnt be bomber could it ?

(Thats right, make it about Hawthorn)

I'd love to know which rules have been part of the game for 150 years.

I bet that if we had the kind of infrastructure we have now (MCG, lights, TV networks, etc) back 150 years ago when all these immovable traditions started, they would have played a night grand final from day one.

Anyway, my point is, either way, what the hell do coaches viewpoints have to do with it ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back