No non-Vic team has defeated a Vic team in the Grand Final without list or salary cap concessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Our drafting in the early rounds wasn't as bad because we rarely, if ever got early draft picks. The earliest draft picks Geelong have got in the last 20 years are Pick 7 (Joel Selwood), and two Pick 8s (Jimmy Bartel and Andrew Mackie). So we hadn't done too bad there.

I do like to see teams who have had long droughts win. I would have loved to see St. Kilda have won it in 2010 and was happy the Bulldogs won it in 2016. I would have been happy for Richmond, if their supporters didn't call up on "Hungry For Sport" and brag about how they were going to win the flag, how they were sure things, and how easy it was to beat the other teams (the way Richmond talkback callers spoke about Geelong both before and after that Qualifying Final was a disgrace). If Richmond fans had shown humility, and had a "wait and see" attitude, being excited but cautiously optimistic, rather than carrying on like dicks (such as a talkback caller called "Mario From Doncaster"), then I might have gone for you in the GF, and been happy that you won.

Also, I got sick of the jerking off that the media did over Richmond. Come on, 20 pages on Richmond in the H-S one day, 25 pages the next. It was over-saturation levels, and I don't remember that for other teams (The Bulldogs only got that Grand Final week, but not for the whole final series). The media gave you guys heaps of coverage, more than any other premiership team has ever gotten.

Also, I didn't like the whinging that your supporters did towards playing at Symons Stadium, instead of the MCG. It was OUR home game in Rd 21, and we also should have played there in the final, because we finished higher than you. What can't you get about that? If Richmond were the home team in the H&A season, I wouldn't complain about playing at the G, as it is your home game. And if you finish top two next year, and play us first week, then I have no problem playing you at the 'G. Why? Because you would have "earned" it. Instead, Richmond supporters didn't leave the 'G for the whole finals series, because they moaned and complained about having to play a final against us, and weak Gil caved and put money ahead of what is right.

I hope your gameplan gets figured last year, and you miss finals. Maybe that might deflate some of your supporters' heads.
It's envious, salty posts like this from sore losers that keeps me coming back to this thread :thumbsu:

By the way, the only reason Geelong makes the finals is because of the biggest home ground advantage in VFL/AFL history. Your club was quickly found out on the big stage.

To all the other posters winging and moaning and bitching and complaining that the AFL isn't doing enough to win your flags for you: To win an AFL premiership, you need to do it at the G. If you can't accept that, write to your club and demand it leave the AFL for a 2nd tier comp.

It’s the attitude of Richmond posters and fans that annoys people, not the fact you won. And being cocky after being given a home Final you didn’t shows how ridiculous and arrogant your fan base is.
Yes. Richmond fans should accept that, despite one of the most dominant finals series this century, they are undeserved premiers. Anything else is unacceptable arrogance.

To be brutally Honest, I don't think the Umpiring in the 2017 GF wasn't that bad. Sure, Richmond got a couple of fortunate frees and betts was held on to 10 metres out in front of goal. Even then Half way in to the 3rd quarter, the scoreline was 9.5.59 to Richmond to 4.9.33 to the crows. Richmond made most of their scoring shots while the crows did not. Could of easily of been the other way had the crows been accurate at the goals and Richmond wasn't.

But that was nothing compared the to Bulldogs vs Crows game in 2016 at docklands. That was when Troy Pannell gave away 18 free kicks in the 1st 3 quarters in that game: 17 to the dogs, 1 to the crows. Some umpires are good at trying to make it too obvious that the free kick count wasn't lop sided. But that crows vs Dogs game in 2016, Troy panel mad it obvious he had money on the Dogs that day.
Um.... Demons have not played finals in the last 10 years. Not since 2006.

Your team has played finals in the last 10 years. just got beaten in elimination finals. And here is another thing, They had Mark Neeld as a coach in 2012-3. Neeld put the demons back 5 years with his "development".

As for the Crows, I wasn't convinced they were as Dangerous as people thought on here. Chatting to a Few regular people at My local Pub at the Exeter in SA. When the crows were 5-0 or 6-0, they were premiership favourites. It was too obvious that they were going to get over confident and get a shock loss. Then the crows got belted by North at Tassie then Demons at Adelaide oval, Despite beating GWS, Port, and Richmond at Adelaide oval.

Tigers beat the crows the exact same way North and demons Beat them: Strangle the crows midfield and you starve their forward line and hey can score. Plus kicking a few goals in a row with out the crows replying helps too.

The 2nd and 3rd quarter in the 2017 GF is a good example of this and the 1st quarter of the North vs Crows game at Tassie too.
So we won because we were better? Haven’t heard that one yet

Yes. Richmond fans should accept that, despite one of the most dominant finals series this century, they are undeserved premiers. Anything else is unacceptable arrogance.
Nothing wrong with a dose of arrogance. And if you can't indulge after a flag when can you.

Enjoy the moment i say

Surely you are taking the piss? The hawks team in the 1988 Grand final had guys that had won flags from the 1976, 1978, 1983 and 1986 teams, they were a finals hardened side. Hawks opponents were Melbourne. Demons Made the grand final that year and played 3 finals in 1987. Didn't play in a grand final since 1964. They also had a Finals drought from 1965-86.
So the better team won then? Regardless of the ground.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/dd26db5f59740617c8e4847d13e5294b

Many contentious decisions robbed the Swans, who were hurt by a number of wrong calls, especially on the sliding/contact below the knees rule.

The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals. The winning margin blew out late to 22 points after the Bulldogs kicked the final two goals in time on of the final quarter.

The trio will be under closer than usual scrutiny after last year’s below-par performances.

Do the AFL and the umpires ever admit they are wrong? No, because that would be a PR nightmare for them. Basically they went as far as they felt comfortable with so as to not have to admit that the umpires gave the game to the Bulldogs. They’ll never come out and say yep the Swans should’ve won. They got their fairytale for their Vic side and the Swans who they unjustly slapped with a trade ban didn’t get to win it again. The AFL got what they wanted and they did it again this year.
Hahaha what a brilliant article, unfortunately no quotes from the AFL or anyone with half a clue about how football actually works to back it up (Costing four goals? How does that even work?).. embarrassing that a journalist wrote that.

Just as long as they have home state advantage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm curious...If the home state advantage is such a compelling, unconquerable advantage, why do we even bother having a competition where teams have to travel between states?

I'm also curious as to how, if it's such a big deal, Vic teams aren't acknowledged as being significantly disadvantaged during the year due to not having that nearly as much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm curious...If the home state advantage is such a compelling, unconquerable advantage, why do we even bother having a competition where teams have to travel between states?

I'm also curious as to how, if it's such a big deal, Vic teams aren't acknowledged as being significantly disadvantaged during the year due to not having that nearly as much?

So missed the wink there eh? Oh well.

We do have a competition that plays home and away. Which all 18 teams have.
We also have a gf thats held at 10 teams home ground/state no matter what.

We also have a proper away game as well.
So vic teams arent significantly disadvanataged by that.

So missed the wink there eh? Oh well.

We do have a competition that plays home and away. Which all 18 teams have.
We also have a gf thats held at 10 teams home ground/state no matter what.

We also have a proper away game as well.
So vic teams arent significantly disadvanataged by that.

Meh, wasn't really directed at you so much as the thread. Your post was just convenient....I probably should have just added the comment without a quote I suppose.

Meh, wasn't really directed at you so much as the thread. Your post was just convenient....I probably should have just added the comment without a quote I suppose.
All good.

So still celebrating? Must admit i thought your fans would pilage me in a Giants outfit on GF day.
Besides some good natured ribbing was a very welcoming place Melbourne.

All good.

So still celebrating? Must admit i thought your fans would pilage me in a Giants outfit on GF day.
Besides some good natured ribbing was a very welcoming place Melbourne.

Sports fans (especially footy fans) in Melbourne tend to be pretty good...There are 'bad' Vic fans are there of course, but as often as not, excesses get pulled up by fans of their own club. My theory is that the footy going culture is based on the idea that with so many Vic clubs, its likely that opposition fans will be alongside you, and maybe even outnumber you much of the time, so while you cheer your side on, and give them bit of a ribbing, you generally know not to go so far as to provoke them too badly (back in the day it was the threat of violence if you did so, now its more social media and shaming).

Places where the fans are almost always 90% one way tend to be more likely to go over the top as they're less likely to be called on it....Conversely, fans from these places tend to be more likely to get their noses out of joint at another venue, because they're used to it all being their way and consider that to be fair/normal.

At the end of the day, that leads to the fans at the more one sided venues going out with an attitude of them going to join a mob at the Colosseum to see the bloobath, while those used to more balanced venues tend to appreciate the 'fun' and the banter in the crowd more.

Not feasible when all the stadiums are already built.

An actually possible alternative given the MCG is the biggest, is to let the higher ranked team choose their dimensions and have them painted that way on grand final day.
Adelaide have won at the G before so why not GF day, maybe you celebrated a little early?

The support concession what u call it for crows and wc during inception were nothing like cola or the lions additional tpp, imho their flags were well earned. GF won’t shift , the afl would concede millions going to an inferior size venue , millions that are req to stump up half the clubs on AFL life lines

If this is your version of 'an excellent job' then we should just drag members of the public out of teh stands to umpire on GF day as even they'd do a better job than this. Oh but it wasn't a one off, two of those umpires also umpired last year and guess what? yep the Swans got screwed as well. They actually had the balls to kick up and got an apology out of the AFL. The Crows are too nice and classy to say anything however (unfortunately).

This is actually pretty bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back