No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Remove this Banner Ad

How does having eighty-four neighnoring sydney suburban teams in the comp offer in terms of expansion then?

It doesn’t.
By your comparison that would mean justifying another AFL team in Albury or Ballarat.

If the NRL was to expand it would have to be a similar one to the Storm and actually go to an area where they can grow the game outside of it's safety zone, Perth is idea and next would be Ipswich/ West Brisbane with Adelaide and CQ being rough chances.

The only way I see games being played in Gosford on a regular occurrence is to sell games and have at least three main teams play twice a season there for at least six games.

People are always saying the Sharks should move or cease but there are some other clubs with bigger question marks over them, including Manly, Penrith, Wests and the Roosters.

It doesn’t.
By your comparison that would mean justifying another AFL team in Albury or Ballarat.

If the NRL was to expand it would have to be a similar one to the Storm and actually go to an area where they can grow the game outside of it's safety zone, Perth is idea and next would be Ipswich/ West Brisbane with Adelaide and CQ being rough chances.

The only way I see games being played in Gosford on a regular occurrence is to sell games and have at least three main teams play twice a season there for at least six games.

People are always saying the Sharks should move or cease but there are some other clubs with bigger question marks over them, including Manly, Penrith, Wests and the Roosters.

I was looking at balance.
Manly is close enough to Gosford and Newcastle is close enough to Gosford that having a team in Gosford isn't important. People in Gosford could take their pick between the two in terms of regional support. Tho....having Manly-Gosford-Newcastle in terms of distance is better than having Roosters and Rabbits. Or St George and Cronulla. Or Canterbury and Tigers.

In an ideal world, regionally-thinking....Tigers to Campbelltown. Rabbits/Roosters one entity. Sharks to Wollongong, St George re-instated as standalone Dragons. No Gosford. Second Brisbane/Sth Qld team. A Perth and Adelaide team. A second NZ team.

I was looking at balance.
Manly is close enough to Gosford and Newcastle is close enough to Gosford that having a team in Gosford isn't important. People in Gosford could take their pick between the two in terms of regional support. Tho....having Manly-Gosford-Newcastle in terms of distance is better than having Roosters and Rabbits. Or St George and Cronulla. Or Canterbury and Tigers.

In an ideal world, regionally-thinking....Tigers to Campbelltown. Rabbits/Roosters one entity. Sharks to Wollongong, St George re-instated as standalone Dragons. No Gosford. Second Brisbane/Sth Qld team. A Perth and Adelaide team. A second NZ team.

I like your Campbelltown idea and Souths/ Roosters, but not to much else.
For mine it would be:
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
GC Titans ??
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
NQ Cowboys
NZ Warriors
Botany Sharks, St George and Cronulla.
Sydney Rabbitohs, roosters and Souths.
Homebush Bulldogs, Wests and Canterbury.
Western Eels, Penrith and Parra.

Add either a Sydney side that moves to Illawarra, Ipswich or Perth.

I don't mind the idea that the druggy Johns put forth for a 12 team NRL comp.

I like your Campbelltown idea and Souths/ Roosters, but not to much else.
For mine it would be:
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
GC Titans ??
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
NQ Cowboys
NZ Warriors
Botany Sharks, St George and Cronulla.
Sydney Rabbitohs, roosters and Souths.
Homebush Bulldogs, Wests and Canterbury.
Western Eels, Penrith and Parra.

Add either a Sydney side that moves to Illawarra, Ipswich or Perth.

I don't mind the idea that the druggy Johns put forth for a 12 team NRL comp.
I like this list of yours, you really put the sword on the sydney clubs, which is whats needed.

I could not believe how easy it is to get NRL grand final ticket when i checked earlier this week
I know. I wanted to go a few years back when Manly were in the GF, Tickets weren't an issue, the flight to Sydney was.

The least supported team in Sydney up against the one who invented virtually every single dirty tactic in the game and who is widely despised for it outside of Melbourne. Not hard to see why you can still get a ticket.

Meanwhile as a member of the Collingwood Football Club I forgot about any chance of going to the AFL GF a very long time ago.

The least supported team in Sydney up against the one who invented virtually every single dirty tactic in the game and who is widely despised for it outside of Melbourne. Not hard to see why you can still get a ticket.

Meanwhile as a member of the Collingwood Football Club I forgot about any chance of going to the AFL GF a very long time ago.
Even Broncos v Cowboys in 2015, everyone who wanted a ticket was able to get one.

I haven't been to a (mens) AFL Grand Final yet but every multi-code fan I've spoken to says the NRL Grand Final experience shits all over the AFL one due to the fact the NRL GF is full of mostly competing fans and the AFL GF is just neutrals.

Even Broncos v Cowboys in 2015, everyone who wanted a ticket was able to get one.

I haven't been to a (mens) AFL Grand Final yet but every multi-code fan I've spoken to says the NRL Grand Final experience shits all over the AFL one

I've been to one of each 02 and 10, and the difference was entirely about the result.

That's a cop out.
League does not draw to any match in Sydney including the Grand Final, the capacity was 84,000 until this season when they changed it to 75,000 and yet it never had a sell out once.

That's a cop out.

Nope, it's actually an opinion. A cop out would be blaming the weather or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the lowest drawing GF's in years.

League does not draw to any match in Sydney including the Grand Final

Well, that's simply not true. It might not draw to expectations with being the biggest sport in NSW and QLD, but it does draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, it's actually an opinion. A cop out would be blaming the weather or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the lowest drawing GF's in years.

Well, that's simply not true. It might not draw to expectations with being the biggest sport in NSW and QLD, but it does draw.

It does not draw well compared to other locations, including league in Brisbane, Melbourne, NQ etc.
If you look at the crowd records you will see it for yourself.

No matter how many times people say things like league is bigg
er in NSW and QLD it does not make it 100% true. Aussie Rules is just as big in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and is growing in Sydney every year. Due to the numbers of players on an Aussie Rules side compared to League I think you'll se that one senior team of AR is equivalent to two League teams. So if you have 50 League teams in Sydney and 25 AR teams then that's even.
Ok Aussie Rules isn't as big in some areas like Newcastle or out west or CQ and other parts of QLD but it's getting closer than it was.

It does not draw well compared to other locations, including league in Brisbane, Melbourne, NQ etc.
If you look at the crowd records you will see it for yourself.

Well, you said it doesn't draw in Sydney which simply isn't true. If you want to shift the goal posts then fine, I agree the crowd average in Sydney for some teams is disappointing compared to other places in Australia.

We do have a ratings and crowds thread to discuss ideas to improve it.

Plenty of other places on the forum to beat your chest over AFL numbers.

I've been to one of each 02 and 10, and the difference was entirely about the result.
I've been to both AFL women's GFs and 2015 and 2016 NRL GFs (in 2016 I booked flights and tix early thinking Broncos would make it)

I've been to both AFL women's GFs and 2015 and 2016 NRL GFs (in 2016 I booked flights and tix early thinking Broncos would make it)

Used to drive to Sydney 2-3 times a year when petrol was cheap. Not anymore, but gee it was fun.

honestly I dont think they need expansion maybe getting a side to Perth would be better but meh. prob is cant fill the stadiums as it is. Sydneysiders just dont turn up unless its origin or GF
I think a Perth team would get decent crowds compared to the sydney teams tbh.

I think a Perth team would get decent crowds compared to the sydney teams tbh.
ID like to hope so its hard to Tell, Perth people are a funny bunch I think a minority sport would have to be successful but with force gone might fill the void. I still think if WCE was such a huge success on field how heavy it would be supported. eg if they went 8 plus years not making finals ect 20 years no flag.

wildcats the other example have been pretty good never had a bad run of years would it drop off hard to tell

ID like to hope so its hard to Tell, Perth people are a funny bunch I think a minority sport would have to be successful but with force gone might fill the void. I still think if WCE was such a huge success on field how heavy it would be supported. eg if they went 8 plus years not making finals ect 20 years no flag.

wildcats the other example have been pretty good never had a bad run of years would it drop off hard to tell

As a Norths supporter you've seen the glory years of the late 90s coming strongly out the 70s, followed in the 80s by the boys from Mt Barker, with many believing a strong 3 decades to end the 90s would produce strong membership growth.
My view is the travellin' Dilberry era has done nothing for the future: here, there, everywhere, we're the Kangaroos give us your money, nudge nudge its going back to the top paddock off Arden Street, & Hobart is just more of the same failed strategy.

As for Perth, its soccer that has a proven following, sure it is like soccer nationally, big following but the A-League hasnt delivered the crowds that the Glory saw in the NSL GF era of 40k+ at Subi. The support is there, just not for the A-League, & that structure is under review heading up to Xmas.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back