No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I think expansion into SA will work. Adelaide is Aussie rules yes but they love their sport. The state won't face the same problems as NSW in regard to attendance. They go to games and purchase memberships. As mentioned above somewhere, League is about 15 yrs behind. That doesn't mean League in SA will be the same. They have a different mentality. Being an AFL state will work in their favour big time. No offense to nsw/qld league fans

Ipswich should be the next Qld NRL team, worked there numerous times back when I worked in sales and can confirm it is very much league territory, can see an Ippy NRL team being an NRL equivalent of the Wanderers very quickly

All of Qld is league territory. The next team needs to be Central Queensland, the fastest growing area in the state.

All of Qld is league territory. The next team needs to be Central Queensland, the fastest growing area in the state.
Goes without saying but Ipswich is even more league if that makes sense.

Reckon CQ also deserve a team FWIW

http://www.insidesport.com.au/league/news/bears-bid-to-buy-titans-454598

News this morning that the Bears are looking the buy the Titans. Unless they get permission to move the team to Sydney, then I'm not sure what benefit there would be to the Bears in owning the Titans, other than getting their name back in the NRL. Bears have never been well supported north of the border, and doubt the old north shore Bears fans would follow them to the GC

Also worth noting, that the website mentions that the Titans have been around since 1988 under a few different names, which is false

I seen that the other day.

Wonder how the name Northern Bears is going???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw a post in this thread and got excited that it might be some news about Perth :(

Arent the NRL running the titans at the moment?

Yes, but we all know how good the ARL are at running a truly national league.

Read somewhere yesterday that if Norths are successful the Titans will become the Bears, wear red and black, play 3 games at Gosford, 1 at Norths and the rest on GC.
Reported that some of the other CEO's think $7 million is not enough???? Not enough for a club that failed and was broke, at least the Chargers had money when the ARL wound them up.

One thing that's been overlooked in this.............. What happens with Burleigh Bears?

Read somewhere yesterday that if Norths are successful the Titans will become the Bears, wear red and black, play 3 games at Gosford, 1 at Norths and the rest on GC.

The issue I have with this is that it's deliberately setting up the "Gold Coast" Bears to fail. If it's for all intents and purposes the North Sydney/Central Coast Bears playing out of area, then it isn't really representing the GC, and you can't really expect the GC to continue supporting the club (inasmuch as they do now). People aren't all stupid (though a lot are), and they'll see through it - and the CC Bears know this.

The medium-to-long term goal hear would clearly, in my opinion, be to have them fail so badly on the Gold Coast they eventually start moving more and more games to the Central Coast.

Which I've come to think is a bad thing. For most of the last decade I've really supported the Bears being rewarded for their ongoing attempts at readmission. But, much as the GC is a graveyard for sport teams, and much as I think the Bears were treated poorly to begin with... I just think the competition has passed the Bears by, and I don't think the NRL can afford to effectively lose a Qld team. If anything, Qld needs more teams (Brisbane 2 and maybe Rocky), it doesn't need less. And I think we need a Perth team before the Bears too.

It's certainly not that I don't value the Bears and appreciate the work they've done - it's just that I can think of at least 3 teams (maybe 4 depending on how you see NZ 2) that the NRL needs before the Bears.

The ARL/NRL set up a lot of teams to fail when they rationlised the league. Heck, one can argue that Newtown should have never been booted out but rather merged but that's a totally different debate.

St George/Illawarra is currently the only successful merger (*cough* joint venture * cough* takeover). Wests Tigers are a shambles, and the Manly/North Sydney JV was utter bollocks.

Should never have lost Adelaide or Perth given both got decent amount of support. So much for a "National" Rugby League, eh?

The issue I have with this is that it's deliberately setting up the "Gold Coast" Bears to fail. If it's for all intents and purposes the North Sydney/Central Coast Bears playing out of area, then it isn't really representing the GC, and you can't really expect the GC to continue supporting the club (inasmuch as they do now). People aren't all stupid (though a lot are), and they'll see through it - and the CC Bears know this.

The medium-to-long term goal hear would clearly, in my opinion, be to have them fail so badly on the Gold Coast they eventually start moving more and more games to the Central Coast.

Which I've come to think is a bad thing. For most of the last decade I've really supported the Bears being rewarded for their ongoing attempts at readmission. But, much as the GC is a graveyard for sport teams, and much as I think the Bears were treated poorly to begin with... I just think the competition has passed the Bears by, and I don't think the NRL can afford to effectively lose a Qld team. If anything, Qld needs more teams (Brisbane 2 and maybe Rocky), it doesn't need less. And I think we need a Perth team before the Bears too.

It's certainly not that I don't value the Bears and appreciate the work they've done - it's just that I can think of at least 3 teams (maybe 4 depending on how you see NZ 2) that the NRL needs before the Bears.

I'm of a similar opinion, you can't have one side playing games in two or three different locations (yes you Dragons, and bulldogs and rabbitohs)

Saying that GC should never have been let back in before, Ipswich, CQ, Sunshine Coast, Gosford, Perth, the GC is such a transient fickle place that doesn't support anything besides it's own interests. The Gold coast is such a mix up of people and beliefs that they really don't give a toss about much but the sun, beach and babes. Unless they commit to the community similar to what the Suns have i don't see it going anywhere but down.

Burleigh Bears are the Gold Coast feeder team, if I'm not mistaken? And don't North's have some sort of ownership stake or whatever? (Probably wrong here)

Not sure, but Burleigh is the Titans feeder team now.

The ARL/NRL set up a lot of teams to fail when they rationlised the league. Heck, one can argue that Newtown should have never been booted out but rather merged but that's a totally different debate.

St George/Illawarra is currently the only successful merger (*cough* joint venture * cough* takeover). Wests Tigers are a shambles, and the Manly/North Sydney JV was utter bollocks.

Should never have lost Adelaide or Perth given both got decent amount of support. So much for a "National" Rugby League, eh?

Newtown got the same as Norths, it was their own fault for not adjusting to the future quick enough. Realistically any club that doesn't support itself shouldn't be in the league, it's the way all of us local and country clubs are.

may as well rename the league to the tasman rugby league.

the sheer fact that some nrl officials are entertaining another qld/nz or a new team from png over western or south australia shows how ****en stupid they are

PNG........... yeah that'll ease the burden of the NRL's money problems.
WA should get a relocation side, SA should wait until the NZ get 2nd side.

Wests Tigers to Perth. Calling it.
how bad are the tigers doing financially?

theyre already a merger itself.

the fact is even if its a relocation a lot of the identity will have to be stripped in order for the perth folk to take it on. dont get me wrong theyll have the support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back