Opinion No Opp. Supporters - Ampol Sponsorship: A Bridge too Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's announcement of Ampol sponsoring the club, has made me angry in a fairly profound way.

Ampol, as you might know is a brand of Petrol Station, formerly operating as CalTex in large parts of Australia.

They are obviously a massive provider of fossil fuels in this country and a key part of the lobbying groups to maintain Australia's dependency on these fuels.

They have a clear business interest in prolonging the use of fossil fuels in personal transportation for as long as possible with no regard to the existential danger this poses to large portions of the world, particularly Australia.

While I have been no fan of many a corporate sponsor, I have never felt that any of them were so egregious as to require an active resistance.

But I cannot stomach that the Carlton Football Club will be used to try and buy any sort of complicity in the ongoing crisis.

The Oil and Gas industry are actively trying to fight progress and transition to a clean energy system.

I cannot and will not support them, our great football club should not be used to support them.

I know that the mods may feel this is "political" but I feel it is too important, and central to how Carlton presents to its members for it to be shuffled off the board.

I intend to write to the club about this, and to look at other options in trying to dissuade the club from continuing with this immoral and frankly dangerous sponsorship.

giphy.gif
I really love this meme.

It's Fuel relax mate.

I won't try and divine your motivations for this post, but thank you for posting.

Let's keep this thread moving so more people see it.

I am open to ideas around organizing some sort of collective protest to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rip up your membership

Have just advised the club.

Your posting indicates that you are threatened by this issue.

Perhaps reflect why this is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back