Edited: No player currently 30 or younger has won a major

Who will be the next 20-something to win a major title?

• Dominic Thiem

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Daniil Medvedev

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alexander Zverev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stefanos Tsitsipas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you high? Nadal is an absolute champion and the greatest claycourter of all time. He is also a 32-year-old with busted knees.
Yeah I’m probably more inclined to listen to the guy who actually faced him on court a few weeks ago.

But thanks for your input, informative as always.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you broken?

You returned to the thread pretending to have something to say. But here we are, and you can't even string a sentence together.

Better luck next time.
Hahaha I was hoping this convo would keep going

I take back what I said earlier about you, you are genuinely humorous. I am actually getting a kick out of alternating between this conversation and watching our man - with busted knees and all - march into the Quarters at the US. Are you watching?

Hahaha I was hoping this convo would keep going
Well, assuming no one breaks through at the US Open, it probably will.

I am actually getting a kick out of alternating between this conversation and watching our man - with busted knees and all - march into the Quarters at the US. Are you watching?
I'd be fascinated to hear you actually make your point at some stage.

Is it simply that Nadal is a great player? Because that's not really a point worth making.

Plenty of people in this thread have identified the continued greatness of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic as an obstacle to these younger players breaking through. But if you look at someone like Zverev, who is unanimously regarded as the most promising of the new breed, he's no closer to challenging at a major than he was last year. Granted, he made a QF in Paris but it was third-round exits at the other three. So you can't just point to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to explain that. He's getting outlasted at majors by the likes of Cilic and Del Potro. On the other hand, Zverev is still ridiculously young.

The same goes for someone like Dimitrov, who looked dangerous in Melbourne, making a QF. But then he was bundled out in the third round in Paris, then the first round in London and New York. That lack of performance at the majors cannot be attributed to the greatness of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

These younger guys – perhaps with the exception of Thiem, who at least made a final in Paris and is still alive in New York – aren't getting to the last four and then losing to an all-time great. If that were the case, you could say "well, they're getting closer". But the reality is they're more often getting beaten in the first week of majors. They're not even getting the chance to have a crack at the top guys at the pointy end.

Plenty of people in this thread have identified the continued greatness of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic as an obstacle to these younger players breaking through. But if you look at someone like Zverev, who is unanimously regarded as the most promising of the new breed, he's no closer to challenging at a major than he was last year. Granted, he made a QF in Paris but it was third-round exits at the other three. So you can't just point to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to explain that. He's getting outlasted at majors by the likes of Cilic and Del Potro. On the other hand, Zverev is still ridiculously young.

The same goes for someone like Dimitrov, who looked dangerous in Melbourne, making a QF. But then he was bundled out in the third round in Paris, then the first round in London and New York. That lack of performance at the majors cannot be attributed to the greatness of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

These younger guys – perhaps with the exception of Thiem, who at least made a final in Paris and is still alive in New York – aren't getting to the last four and then losing to an all-time great. If that were the case, you could say "well, they're getting closer". But the reality is they're more often getting beaten in the first week of majors. They're not even getting the chance to have a crack at the top guys at the pointy end.
Did you read safin's latest interview about the younger generation. He probably agrees with you lol

Did you read safin's latest interview about the younger generation. He probably agrees with you lol
"Players used to retire by the time they got to 30. At 32 you were a dinosaur," he said. "Now you see players who are still running at the age of 38. The upcoming young guys just aren’t at a high enough level. If you can still manage to run at the age of 38 and still be No 1 in the world, it means there must be something wrong with the other players."

Our friends in this thread will simply insist that "the game has changed"!

I like how Thiem (indifferent form since the French) and Goffin (indifferent form and continuity for much of the season) suddenly pop up for a QF/SF run at the USO, whilst the others come up short against their ought-to-be-winning-slams-by-now potential.

Goffin is even older than Raonic, both turn 28 in the off-season. Would laugh if they both support the thread's premise and start winning big titles (or peaking, if nothing else).

I like how Thiem (indifferent form since the French) and Goffin (indifferent form and continuity for much of the season) suddenly pop up for a QF/SF run at the USO, whilst the others come up short against their ought-to-be-winning-slams-by-now potential.

Goffin is even older than Raonic, both turn 28 in the off-season. Would laugh if they both support the thread's premise and start winning big titles (or peaking, if nothing else).
The thread's premise is a few weeks away from changing to "no one in their 20s has won a major". Cilic and Del Potro turn 30 at the end of September. They are the youngest Grand Slam winners running around.

Of course, even in that event, we still won't be able to infer anything about the quality or competitiveness of those players in their 20s. It will merely be evidence that "the game has changed".

Last edited:
Isner is so consistent and has been better post 30. Anderson is playing as well as he ever has this year, del potro has also had an excellent year. I would say the quality of players in the 24-28 bracket is very poor at the highest end (except for thiem on clay).

Back