Roast No 'Rising Star' nomination in 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did a little digging into our recent history of rising star nominations after noting how bare the cupboard was in our VFL team on the weekend (apologies to James Jordon).

I was shocked (but then again not really..) to discover we haven't had a single nomination since 2016! Yep. Not Rising star 'winner'.. an actual nomination... or to put that another way, not a single nomination while Goody has been senior coach of the MFC.

This might seem trivial to some, or just a reflection of the stage of development we were at after a period of rebuilding through the draft under Roos (FYI; in Roosy's last year of coaching we had 4 RS nominations), but i think it actually paints a pretty damning picture of our recruiting and development of players under Goody. It also, I think explains in some way the 'stale' feel this team has had to it in 2019. The spark that only youthful exuberance can bring, is virtually non-existent.

I think it's also worth noting that both last year's premier and the runner up in West Coast and Collingwood had 2 RS nominations each in 2018.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this? I think it's vital we pick up a gun 18yr old in this years draft to keep the wheel turning and hopefully spark some excitement in the team for 2020.

Last edited:
I've actually buried my own lead here.. and its worse than i thought.

Did a little more digging and discovered that from Rd 21, 2016 to the game just gone, we are in fact the only team in the AFL to not receive a single nomination.

Yikes.
Thats ugly stuff, also coincides with not having had a draft pick inside the top 25, the club would have been lucky to have had 10 to 12 picks total in that time, from memory most of them would have been taken after 40 when the success rate goes to s**t across the board.

That’s a big three year hole in the list that’s going to be hard to fix

Did a little digging into our recent history of rising star nominations after noting how bare the cupboard was in our VFL team on the weekend (apologies to James Jordon).

I was shocked (but then again not really..) to discover we haven't had a single nomination since 2016! Yep. Not Rising star 'winner'.. an actual nomination... or to put that another way, not a single nomination while Goody has been senior coach of the MFC.

This might seem trivial to some, or just a reflection of the stage of development we were at after a period of rebuilding through the draft under Roos (FYI; in Roosy's last year of coaching we had 4 RS nominations), but i think it actually paints a pretty damning picture of our recruiting and development of players under Goody. It also, I think explains in some way the 'stale' feel this team has had to it in 2019. The spark that only youthful exuberance can bring, is virtually non-existent.

I think it's also worth noting that both last year's premier and the runner up in West Coast and Collingwood had 2 RS nominations each in 2018.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this? I think it's vital we pick up a gun 18yr old in this years draft to keep the wheel turning and hopefully spark some excitement in the team for 2020.
Spargo was very stiff last year.

I don’t think it’s as big a deal as you make out. Most of our young/new contributors have been out of RS contention due to the rules. Fritsch, Lockhart, Hore, even Wagner would all have been an option based on form, yet outside of the age limit on the RS.

I’m actually not uncomfortable with it.

Helps if players debut. Pretty sure we had the least debutants if not bottom couple the 2 previous years. I went on about it a while ago

Spargo was very stiff last year.

I don’t think it’s as big a deal as you make out. Most of our young/new contributors have been out of RS contention due to the rules. Fritsch, Lockhart, Hore, even Wagner would all have been an option based on form, yet outside of the age limit on the RS.

I’m actually not uncomfortable with it.

The four you mentioned all show promise I would agree. But it does also highlight how unadventurous we have been at the draft (perhaps in part due to our lack of first round picks), taking three of those from our own backyard at Casey where they already know "the melbourne way", and the other from down the road at the Lexus centre. It's all very cosy.

Hore looks an extremely good player as does Fritsch. Lever was a 21 year old AA squad member.
Sparrow has had a season ending injury, Petty just kicked 3 goals.

Maybe our development and drafting just isn't that good? Plenty of noms for players taken outside the first round

In fact the bloke who tore us a new arsehole on the weekend was taken at pick 25, maybe if our development wasn't so s**t we wouldn't have this problem.

Reckon Brendan McCartney will get the bullet for that at the end of the year, whether hes to blame for it or not. Personally I think the lack of development is due in large part to Goodwins special ability to turn confident, creative players into soulless automatons like himself

To be the only team not to get a RS nom in three years would also suggest to me that the coaches/josh mahoney have severley overrated the list.

Thats ugly stuff, also coincides with not having had a draft pick inside the top 25, the club would have been lucky to have had 10 to 12 picks total in that time, from memory most of them would have been taken after 40 when the success rate goes to s**t across the board.

That’s a big three year hole in the list that’s going to be hard to fix
That's right and this is why we payed thru our backsides for Lever. 2 x 1st Rnd picks, too highly. I'm not knocking Lever, but I am those who nutted out the that deal. Weak-kneed, if you ask me.

We were rolled over in flour, and rooted to the side of a barrel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right and this is why we payed thru our backsides for Lever. 2 x 1st Rnd picks, too highly. I'm not knocking Lever, but I am those who nutted out the that deal. Weak-kneed, if you ask me.

We were rolled over in flour, and rooted to the side of a barrel.
The picks were 10 and 15 for * sake, hardly guaranteed to be riding star nominated superstars.

We also turned the 2 picks we got back from Adelaide into Petty, Jordan and Sparrow.

The picks were 10 and 15 for fu** sake, hardly guaranteed to be riding star nominated superstars.

We also turned the 2 picks we got back from Adelaide into Petty, Jordan and Sparrow.

You really have no idea. I don't think I'll stay here long. My leave is almost done.
no idea. .

Do you think exclaiming with exaggerated profanity makes you stronger or something or simply childish in your ways.?
Maybe you like being a big fish in a tiny pool. So try to throw some sort of status weight around. Well you come up short TK.
But keep going with your fantasy land footy chat, because that is all it is.

When you reckon you can do a gig with an AFL club, then you can rethink your cred's.

You know why you don't get it, understand the way clubs do things, and why you think you know better than these guys... its because you think too idealistically, and too simply, and in a way, 'naively'... about preparing a list and a club, to get them somewhere near the top of the pile to contest for a prize.
But don't let me disturb your 'fantasy-land', and your dreaming's.

Did you notice the other day, the club talk about building the team base, that the platform is built the right way. And really that is, 'the Melbourne way'.... see 'culture'.

I don't know if you would take notice, of even the words club people use, when making little responses in the media. Remember talking about building it the right way, and in the right order, starting with a contested ball hard base, initially, and then adding layers onto that.

Read what Goody has said in the past few days . He reads some of the social media I'm sure. Or others at the club do, and let him know of what is being thought, felt, and said, in social footy land.

I don't think so, because you don't want to.

You really have no idea. I don't think I'll stay here long. My leave is almost done.
no idea. .

Do you think exclaiming with exaggerated profanity makes you stronger or something or simply childish in your ways.?
Maybe you like being a big fish in a tiny pool. So try to throw some sort of status weight around. Well you come up short TK.

When you reckon you can do a gig with an AFL club, then you can rethink your cred's.

You know why you don't get it, understand the way clubs do things, and why you think you know better than these guys... its because you think too idealistically, and too simply, and in a way, 'naively'... about preparing a list and a club, to get them somewhere near the top of the pile to contest for a prize.

Did you notice the other day, the club talk about building the team base, that the platform is built the right way. And really that is, 'the Melbourne way'.... see 'culture'.

I don't know if you would take notice, of even the words club people use, when making little responses in the media. Remember talking about building it the right way, and in the right order, starting with a contested ball hard base, initially, and then adding layers onto that.

Read what Goody has said in the past few days . He reads some of the social media I'm sure. Or others at the club do, and let him know of what is being thought, felt, and said, in social footy land.

Congratulations on the most insane, mouth breathing dribble of a post for the season.

I'm super glad though you've come along yo teach me how our expertly built inside core pyramid has taken us to 16th this year.

When you reckon you can do a gig with an AFL club, then you can rethink your cred's

I can't wait to hear you explain what the * this means?

no idea. .

Congratulations on the most insane, mouth breathing dribble of a post for the season.

I'm super glad though you've come along yo teach me how our expertly built inside core pyramid has taken us to 16th this year.

When you reckon you can do a gig with an AFL club, then you can rethink your cred's

Please explain what this means, I eagerly await.

no idea. .

Really, can't you stay longer?

no idea. .

Ohh, that is so sad, can't you stay longer?

i wouldnt be against trading our first pick for 2 lower first rounders if we can use one on a good kick and one on an established player that we need

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

we've used 3 first rounders on May + Lever. and drafted 3 mature agers in Hore, Fritsch and Hannan (surely all 3 would receive noms if eligible) Spargo could have potentially got one last year. I don't think its that big a deal, but we need to draft some more kids in the top 25 of the draft.

we've used 3 first rounders on May + Lever. and drafted 3 mature agers in Hore, Fritsch and Hannan (surely all 3 would receive noms if eligible) Spargo could have potentially got one last year. I don't think its that big a deal, but we need to draft some more kids in the top 25 of the draft.

Remember when Gysberts received not one but two nominations.....he is a good player for us o_O

Remember when Gysberts received not one but two nominations.....he is a good player for us o_O
Haha, I thought about going through a few years of nominations to show that it's hardly a guarantee of a gun player, but I realised I couldn't be bothered.

What I can note with minimal effort tho, is the final results of the award in 2016, the last time we had a nomination (when we had 4 of them meanwhile)

Callum Mills was the consensus winner, followed by Caleb Daniel, Jacob Weitering and Darcy Parish.

Oliver got 1 vote along with Lachie Weller, and wasn't even the highest placing Demon, with Trac getting 2 votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back