Roast No 'Rising Star' nomination in 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett was a monty, had a great game. Would be a deserving winner IMO even if he’s flown under the radar and Serong has surpassed him in recent weeks, but would need to really lift from here

Jackson will probably get another nomination next year if that makes anyone feel better. Might even come second to Rowell in the final vote.
That would be cool to see two second year players who were cut short in their first year due to injury go well in the RS.

Bump.

Thought it a good time to dust this one off again - not because we have picked up another nom. Mainly to highlight how rejuvinated the team looks with a handful of young guns ticking through it. Koz, Jordon, Rivers, Sparrow and Dogga have all had their moments in the first two rounds and are hungry to keep their spots. Nothing beats the enthusiasm of youth and you can tell the senior players get a kick out of watching them do well i.e. players reaction when Jordon and Kozi kicked their goals. You love to see it.

Can't wait for Bowey* to enter the mix also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably wrong but is this the first time for a while we haven't rushed draft picks straight into round 1 ?

Great question. I went back as far as Roosy's first game as coach and this year is the only year we haven't debut'd someone we picked up in the national draft the year prior (didnt do the neeld and bailey years but imagine the trend would continue considering the youthful state of the teams back then). Fritsch and Hannan were somewhat mature aged, but they still came through the draft like everyone else.

2020 - Kozzie
2019 - Sparrow
2018 - Fritsch
2017 - Hannan
2016 - Oliver
2015 - Brayshaw
2014 - Jay Kennedy Harris

Was bored so i've added the Neeld years also:

2013 - Jack Viney
2012 - Josh Tynan

Great question. I went back as far as Roosy's first game as coach and this year is the only year we haven't debut'd someone we picked up in the national draft the year prior (didnt do the neeld and bailey years but imagine the trend would continue considering the youthful state of the teams back then). Fritsch and Hannan were somewhat mature aged, but they still came through the draft like everyone else.

2020 - Kozzie
2019 - Sparrow
2018 - Fritsch
2017 - Hannan
2016 - Oliver
2015 - Brayshaw
2014 - Jay Kennedy Harris
What's fairly notable of that list is 5 of them played round 1 this year too.

I'd imagine that's fairly strong retention?

What's fairly notable of that list is 5 of them played round 1 this year too.

I'd imagine that's fairly strong retention?

Also shows the importance of Jason Taylor, who joined the club in 2013.

Heres a good throwback article on JT on how he went about shaping the list:

Probably wrong but is this the first time for a while we haven't rushed draft picks straight into round 1 ?
I’d argue that’s mostly a combination of a) picking two undersized players and one project player and b) picking kids who haven’t played more than a few hours of competitive football in 18 months

Also shows the importance of Jason Taylor, who joined the club in 2013.

Heres a good throwback article on JT on how he went about shaping the list:

I’d be curious as to what he’d have to say about the Tyson trade now (noting that we turned Tyson into Preuss into Ben Brown, and that Salem is a good but not outstanding player, certainly well below JK’s level).

I’d be curious as to what he’d have to say about the Tyson trade now (noting that we turned Tyson into Preuss into Ben Brown, and that Salem is a good but not outstanding player, certainly well below JK’s level).

Its also been interesting watching the shift away from targetting big bodied inside mids, to players that can kick and who offer a 'point of difference' with the last 2 drafts. List looks so much better balanced now but theres no denying our midfield was diabolical before JT arrived.

Its also been interesting watching the shift away from targetting big bodied inside mids, to players that can kick and who offer a 'point of difference' with the last 2 drafts. List looks so much better balanced now but theres no denying our midfield was diabolical before JT arrived.
If we’d taken Cripps over Salem we’d be laughing at that deal, but obviously everything is a butterfly effect. Cripps is physically massive now but was relatively tiny in his draft year and there was no way of knowing he’d even be a clearance player, let alone a good one. There were a couple of other big bodied inside mids who we were into that went in the teens that year, but none of them have really come on, so we probably dodged a bullet going for Salem.

Similarly they probably wish they’d just drafted Lever ahead of Brayshaw with pick 3 in 2014, and they probably would have if not for his ACL. Nothing more than hindsight but it’s still interesting in terms of list strategy and development. The big bodied inside mids are easier to find, but if you draft the skilful outside players first they’re going to struggle without anyone to win the ball for them. If you were a rebuilding club you probably wouldn’t have drafted all of Jackson, Kossie, Rivers, Bowey and Laurie.

I'm far from Salem's biggest fan, but Josh Kelly (apart from about 15-20 games over 2016-19) is one of the most overhyped and underperforming players.

My brother jumped on the giants bandwagon when they joined the afl, and used to tell me how big a star he was gonna be, and even he is off him now.

He's a Holden Captiva with a LandCruiser price tag.

I'm far from Salem's biggest fan, but Josh Kelly (apart from about 15-20 games over 2016-19) is one of the most overhyped and underperforming players.

My brother jumped on the giants bandwagon when they joined the afl, and used to tell me how big a star he was gonna be, and even he is off him now.

He's a Holden Captiva with a LandCruiser price tag.
His best is extremely good.

His best is extremely good.
Oh absolutely, it is exceptionally good.

And that's the problem. His years between 16/19 were terrific when he was on the park. And we all probably thought he was going to explode into one of the absolute best.

He was ordinary last year, not on his Pat Malone there. This year so far he's been very average, and looks like he doesn't want to hurt himself.

Jackson will probably get another nomination next year if that makes anyone feel better. Might even come second to Rowell in the final vote.
Noms for Jackson and JJ, after Kossie and Jackson were nominated last year.

Sparrow, Chandler and Rivers still eligible along with the new draftees. More importantly than the RS we do have a decent young core coming through. Easier to play well as a kid in a dominant side obviously.

Current under 22s: Spargo, Petty, Chandler, Bedford, Sparrow, JJ, Rivers, Jackson, Pickett, Bradtke, Neita, Rosman, Bowey, Laurie.

Baker, who turns 23 in two weeks, is currently our only 22 year old, and will be our only player aged 22-23 by July when Clarry turns 24 until Petty turns 22 in November, on account of trading out of the 2016 draft. But otherwise we don’t have any gaps in our list, which is hugely different to where we were at 2014-2019 or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back