No Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

“Opted”

That soft cap must be tight
I'm not convinced it's a soft cap issue as we were willing to exceed it.

IMO it's a case that we have left it too late for next season as other assistants are already contracted. Why appoint someone as a senior assistant for the sake of having someone with the title.

I would be surprised if we don't appoint a senior assistant for the following season & hopefully we are sounding out potential candidates during 2020 once Nicks has settled in.

It's not helped that the club are telling porkies that the role isn't needed.

Seems to me there are two reasons coaches get Senior Assistants. Because they are new and want an experienced senior coach to be a mentor to them, or they need someone who is strong in areas they are weak.

I don't think there are any experienced coaches who are available who we would want. Brad Scott maybe but he took a job with the AFL pretty quickly so probably had no interest in moving interstate. He also probably would have wanted more money than we would be paying Nicks.

We don't know what Nicks thinks his weaknesses are and he probably needs to coach for a year to truly find that out.

I'd bet Nicks talked to a few people and with the club weighed up the options available and decided there wasn't anyone worthwhile available at this point in time.

The club is never going to come out and say that the reason we aren't going for a senior assistant is because of a lack of quality candidates, because it would be an unnecessary slap in the face to the people we talked to, people we may want to join the club in the future when they show their value. Saying "Nicks decided he wants fewer voices" is saying to those people "It's not you, it's me".

IMO it's a case that we have left it too late for next season as other assistants are already contracted. Why appoint someone as a senior assistant for the sake of having someone with the title.

I would be surprised if we don't appoint a senior assistant for the following season & hopefully we are sounding out potential candidates during 2020 once Nicks has settled in.

Is the Club telling Pokies or is that what a few want to believe.
Do we need a senior Assitant coach or do we head in the direction most of the top Club are heading in getting an opportision Strategy coaches and beefing up there development groups.
Is the use by date on senior assistants expired, Looking to 2020 and more clubs are dropping the role, Even GWS has not replaced Nicks with a senior assitant.

Do the Crows run with Heath Younie as a coaching director/ shoulder to lean on to all the Crows coaches, ie AFL, SANFL, AFLW and we beef up the development group. Few of the top clubs are heading that way, The introduction of the AFLW has changed the way some clubs are strutured with shared resources.

Agreed.

No point filling a role with the best available if that best isn't quality. Better of going without one, then working out what is needed over the next year and taking the time to target a quality person.

Of course, the club is never going to come out and say "welp we took too long to call for a review and then by the time it was completed all the remaining candidates were rubbish". So they just do the usual weasel-word thing of saying they "opted not to have a senior assistant (because all the good ones are taken)".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the "less voices" angle, it might even have its positives, but I don't believe that less voices is better than a best in the league senior assistant, not having one being a win assumes we'd get a poor senior assistant or use them incorrectly.

A "best football department in the league" goes and gets the best senior assistant in the competition and that would be a quality person who knows how to do the role successfully.

Just come out and admit we couldn't do it, admit that we weren't looking to replace Campo 12 months out, 6 months out and that it's all too late. Admit that it's hard to get people to Adelaide, but that we are working on fixing that, give us something to hold them accountable to in 12 months time.

I'd love to think it's all going to happen in 12 months time, that would probably actually get us a better result, but history has removed that benefit of the doubt. History says it's more likely Nicks is gone before our coaches box is completely turned over.
It’s amazing how we’ve moved further away from the best footy dept, to the point where it’s all no-names.

Maybe Nicks & co turn out to be guns and it all works out. Maybe.

It’d be more a case of dumb luck than shrewd appointments though. A bit like having a few 3rd and 4th round draft picks turn into champions. Not impossible but unlikely.

Richmond has Neil freaking Balme heading their football dept.

Richmond realised a problem and recruited the best footy head available. Doing anything other than what they did leads to Brett Burto getting the gig. Applying your logic results in the Scott Camporeales making our club their home regardless of real performance. DO NOT tie yourself down with structure, it’s meaningless. When our footy dept recruits or elevates a Senior Assistant, we hope it will be a worthwhile appointment/promotion. Who would actually trust our decision makers to make this call right now? If the call was made it would be of the pre-existent power base, so some dimwit like Campo gets the gig. Clear air, let’s see how the club goes under Nicks.

No problem going without one, but it’s hard to imagine there aren’t better options than Ben Hart out there. Having a senior assistant hasn’t translated to any genuine success for us, so interested to see if the head coach having more responsibility works better.

Mattner and Godden are green at AFL level but are experienced coaches at the lower level, hopefully without the Campo handicap both can improve as coaches again next season. Already like what I’ve seen from the defense under Mattner, Godden is the big question given it looks like Campo had all the power over his area (midfield).

Hart is just terrible though, the forward line was a shambles last season. Can only hope that was down to Pyke’s game plan and Hart will now thrive... have serious doubts though.

there’s likely better than Hart out there. But I doubt that any forward coach in the league had to deal with a list wide toxic culture, incompetent senior coach, incompetent senior assistant slash GAME DAY STRATEGY coach and a disastrous forward ball movement game plan. Look, I‘m happy to nail Hart to the same cross as every other counterproductive person on our org chart. But, identifying Hart as a significant issue when the top 3 of our coscjing hierarchy have either been terminated or paid out seems simplistic to me.

I still can't quite understand why a first year rookie coach would not want a senior assistant, it's hard to comprehend. Even if it was a fill in for a year, you would want someone to bounce ideas with and take the pressure off that isn't a line coach.

Based on the amount of payouts the club has had to make, you would have to think it was a financial decision not a coach decision.

pretty obvious that you’d need the right assistant.

there’s likely better than Hart out there. But I doubt that any forward coach in the league had to deal with a list wide toxic culture, incompetent senior coach, incompetent senior assistant slash GAME DAY STRATEGY coach and a disastrous forward ball movement game plan. Look, I‘m happy to nail Hart to the same cross as every other counterproductive person on our org chart. But, identifying Hart as a significant issue when the top 3 of our coscjing hierarchy have either been terminated or paid out seems simplistic to me.
Oh I agree, that’s why I can live with one more season with him under a new coach and footy ops manager.

Just listened to the Tex interview with Roo and Ditts. Roo made mention we didn’t have a Senior Assistant Coach in 2017 or 2018. We got into the GF in 2017 without a Senior Assistant Coach, so exactly how necessary is this role anyway? Did all recent premiership teams have a Senior Assistant Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back