No Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to the Tex interview with Roo and Ditts. Roo made mention we didn’t have a Senior Assistant Coach in 2017 or 2018. We got into the GF in 2017 without a Senior Assistant Coach, so exactly how necessary is this role anyway? Did all recent premiership teams have a Senior Assistant Coach?

So we promoted Camporeale and then sacked him 12 months later.

Nice.

Richmond realised a problem and recruited the best footy head available. Doing anything other than what they did leads to Brett Burto getting the gig. Applying your logic results in the Scott Camporeales making our club their home regardless of real performance. DO NOT tie yourself down with structure, it’s meaningless. When our footy dept recruits or elevates a Senior Assistant, we hope it will be a worthwhile appointment/promotion. Who would actually trust our decision makers to make this call right now? If the call was made it would be of the pre-existent power base, so some dimwit like Campo gets the gig. Clear air, let’s see how the club goes under Nicks.
Balme fell into Richmonds lap.

Collingwood chased Gubby Allen and inserted him above Balme, and handled the structure change poorly. Balme told Collingwood to GAGF and resigned. Richmond pounced.

Funnily enough Gubby Allen mere weeks later was caught up in the Lachie Whitfield affair, and also "resigned". Collingwood then went for some period with no GM of Football until they enticed Geoff Walsh to return to the club and take up the role

Just listened to the Tex interview with Roo and Ditts. Roo made mention we didn’t have a Senior Assistant Coach in 2017 or 2018. We got into the GF in 2017 without a Senior Assistant Coach, so exactly how necessary is this role anyway? Did all recent premiership teams have a Senior Assistant Coach?
We still had more bums on seats. My only concern with going in one down is the workload this puts on Nicks and the assistants.

Seems odd we didn't even contact him for a role.

He would be cheap and we have missed the boat in terms of luring any decent assistant coach currently in the AFL system.

I still believe that most decent AFL assistants won't move to Adelaide (affecting both us and Port) due to geography. Why work in Adelaide when you can have the same job in the epicentre of the industry. Not to mention lifestyle, partner and kids (education) etc.

The explosion in coaching group size across the industry has a knock on effect to clubs in the least desirable locations ie us.

South Australia is the last place a Football profesional wants to live unless they have had a previous positive experience living here. Or it is the only chance to stay in the industry, ie Vossy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pardon my intrusion, but I'm somewhat amazed that no poster here has commented on the bolded, even though I get that you commented in an AFL employment context.

Fact is, Adelaide is a Goldilocks city - not too big, not too small, not too hot/wet/cold/dry, with good educational facilities, close-by Adelaide Hills and villages, beaches, wineries, great restaurant precincts, and a comfortable lifestyle.

Why would a "partner and kids" of a footy player/admin/assistant earning ~6 figures have a problem with that?

And I can make that judgment of Adelaide having lived as part of my employment over 35 years in many FW cities around the planet [e.g. Houston, Los Angeles, Tokyo, London, Melbourne, Sydney, Seoul, Frankfurt].

Don't knock it.

Last edited:
Pardon my intrusion, but I'm somewhat amazed that no poster here has commented on the bolded, even though I get that you commented in an AFL employment context.

Fact is, Adelaide is a Goldilocks city - not too big, not too small, not too hot/wet/cold/dry, with good educational facilities, close-by Adelaide Hills and villages, beaches, wineries, great restaurant precincts, and a comfortable lifestyle.

Why would a "partner and kids" of a footy player/admin/assistant earning ~6 figures have a problem with that?

And I can make that judgment of Adelaide having lived as part of my employment over 35 years in many FW cities around the planet [e.g. Houston, Los Angeles, Tokyo, London, Melbourne, Sydney, Seoul, Frankfurt].

Don't knock it.
A family has a choice.to make.

Choice A live in Adelaide having never lived here before and send your kids to a.school this that is an u known quantity. Mum has to find another job and friends. Family are not within driving range.

Choice B. Take a.job at one of the ten Melbourne based clubs. Send your kids to a Melbourne private school you have confidence in. Mum keeps her career and friendship circle. Family are close by.

I personally love Adelaide. You are correct it has a great a great climate and city layout.

But can see why those who have never lived here before would not take.the risk of living in "West Horsham" when they have options in their hometown. Those options have increased in the last five years as coaching boxes in the AFL have increased.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lol, you wish Rooch!

We will remain spotless.

Well, we have a dud new coach.
No football manger
No senior assistant coach.
Lost nearly 1200 games experience.
Our best mid don't want to play for us.
We have s**t pre season facilitys
We play in every state, the travel will hurt the young players.

Were in s**t loads of trouble chappy.

Not this year

No football manger

Hard to tell if Nicks is a dud given that he hasn't coached before
Better than having Burton
Other teams don't either. Also better than having Campo
So what. They were cooked or surplus
He says he does
We have some of the best facilities in the AFL
Good experience for them

Seems to me there are two reasons coaches get Senior Assistants. Because they are new and want an experienced senior coach to be a mentor to them, or they need someone who is strong in areas they are weak.

I don't think there are any experienced coaches who are available who we would want. Brad Scott maybe but he took a job with the AFL pretty quickly so probably had no interest in moving interstate. He also probably would have wanted more money than we would be paying Nicks.

We don't know what Nicks thinks his weaknesses are and he probably needs to coach for a year to truly find that out.

I'd bet Nicks talked to a few people and with the club weighed up the options available and decided there wasn't anyone worthwhile available at this point in time.

The club is never going to come out and say that the reason we aren't going for a senior assistant is because of a lack of quality candidates, because it would be an unnecessary slap in the face to the people we talked to, people we may want to join the club in the future when they show their value. Saying "Nicks decided he wants fewer voices" is saying to those people "It's not you, it's me".
Or, unthinkably, we could consider the straightforward explanations.
  • Nicksy learned at GWS that their large coaching team resulted in "too many voices" and more effort created than value added; AND/OR
  • The Review may have had those words in the form of feedback from players, and Nicksy picked it up and ran with it because he saw it at GWS.
cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks didn't rule out having a senior assistant in the future. He pretty much said, he didn't want to get one for the sake of having one. Nicks wants the right person and if we have to wait 12 months to get the right person, so be it.Thats my take on it.

100% this.

If we don't think anyone worthwhile is available to fill the role, then why employ someone you don't want for the sake of it.

Mick Godden keeps getting talked up from different sources, I've noticed.

Nicks is saying all the right things, and exciting times ahead next year. Can't wait to see what Jones and McHenry offer next year.

We still had more bums on seats. My only concern with going in one down is the workload this puts on Nicks and the assistants.
Or it could actually save Nicks some time not to argue back and forth with a Senior Assistant. If we made a GF without one (2017) and did poorly with one (2019), then it suggests currently it’s not something of an absolute necessity.

No football manger

We already know you have a dud coach as that is old news.

Hopefully Nicks turns out OK though...

I really don't think it's a no senior assistant issue, it's more a no extra experience into the club issue. We still have a very unproven group of AFL assistants. Had we said no senior assistant but new assistant with successful club experience, then great.

If we actually do make changes next year, then also great, it was best to wait for the right people, but the club does not have a track record of adding proven successful people to our coaches box.

Other than Nicks, our entire coaching panel's outside experience is Mattner's 2 years at Sydney and Harts time at Collingwood and a heap of SANFL experience.

Last year GWS had someone of Nicks quality in their box. Who do we have that is even in the potential senior coach conversation?

Do we have to just accept that we are now the place for the best of the SANFL and ex-players?

Maybe we do? Every single person we want, that is in demand, will have better options in Melbourne or wherever they are from. If I don't have connections here, I'm not coming here when I can take a job at a Melbourne club, jumping from club to club over there to build the resume.

Can we do anything to change this? I thought if we landed a big-name coach or football manager we might be able to use them to call in every favour and connection they've got to get the right people in but maybe that's not even enough?

I was pretty angry that we believed we had a premiership side the last 2 years, but failed to bring in premiership coaching experience, at least somebody that was putting their hand up for senior coach positions, instead having to turn to the SANFL and risking our window with untried people at the level.

If we couldn't even attract them after 2016/17 when we were on the up and then peaking, when will we? Would love to know if we even think this is a problem, if it is, we've not shown any ability to fix it in our mission to have the leagues best coaching box.

Nicks said:

• We are putting a 'pause' on the senior assistant so we didn't rush it and make the right choice
  • Not to say we aren't going to look at that in 12m
Sounds like this will be a development year for us, including the coaches. I hope the top 5 in next year's draft is good

So Nicks changes the narrative again.

Firstly the club says we don’t need a senior - too many voices, we want to give the assistants more responsibility.

Nicks today -doesn’t want to make the wrong appointment just for the sake of it.

Nicks gives an honest answer - perfectly plausible and reasonable. A good call.

What was the rubbish that Roo and the club were spinning?

Or it could actually save Nicks some time not to argue back and forth with a Senior Assistant. If we made a GF without one (2017) and did poorly with one (2019), then it suggests currently it’s not something of an absolute necessity.
As usual you don't get the point...

So Nicks changes the narrative again.

Firstly the club says we don’t need a senior - too many voices, we want to give the assistants more responsibility.

Nicks today -doesn’t want to make the wrong appointment just for the sake of it.

Nicks gives an honest answer - perfectly plausible and reasonable. A good call.

What was the rubbish that Roo and the club were spinning?

Roo and Chapman need to be gagged from speaking to the media, like we did with Burton.

Those two arseholes couldn't lie straight in bed.

Let Fagan do the talking.

Roo and Chapman need to be gagged from speaking to the media, like we did with Burton.

Those two arseholes couldn't lie straight in bed.

Let Fagan do the talking.

That's why it's important to get a footy manager who is good in the media and talks with no spin. Roo and Chapman, have lost supporters trust. We can't rely on them to set the narrative. Whenever they speak, we don't know what is truth and what is spin. So we doubt everything they say. Not good for us supporters and not good for the club. If we want a fresh start, they really need to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back