No Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems strange that the AFC didn't talk to Mark Stone.

Were the AFC ever that serious in hiring a senior assistant?

Surely Stone would have been in the mix of available candidates and at least worth an interview.
Hes just won a premiership at Glenelg and has stoppage/line coaching experience with Sydney and Freo .

Seems strange that the AFC didn't talk to Mark Stone.

Were the AFC ever that serious in hiring a senior assistant?

Surely Stone would have been in the mix of available candidates and at least worth an interview.
Hes just won a premiership at Glenelg and has stoppage/line coaching experience with Sydney and Freo .
Did Stone's time at Sydney overlap with Nicks.

Maybe Nick's doesn't like him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You’d think after defending the club for this long and being wrong every single time that you would have learned to pull your head in by now.

A senior assistant is about injecting some experience. Entirely appropriate given how green the coaching group is. On paper it looks bog average. A far cry from the best in the land we were promised.
LMAO. Whinge away lovey, it’s what you do best.

Oh and for the umpteenth dozen time... I wanted a review, I wanted Burton and Campo gone and have said FOR MONTHS that Chapman needs to go. I’ve NEVER been a fan of Roos. But I’m always wrong eh? 🥴

Nicks will be Sando minus Bailey. We couldn't find a decent senior assistant. We can't find a footy ops manager with a track record of success.

We have a rookie coach and a SANFL bargain basement of assistants plus Ben no one wants Hart.

Far cry from the best football program in the land we were promised.

We just have to accept we're a bit s**t with no plan and low prospects for improvement. Currently nestled in amongst the St Kildas and Norths of the world. Last relevant last century.
Hopefully this is the pivot point. Clearly there has been no forward planning, but with those responsible now at Centrelink, it will take a while for the new blood to get in and make their mark. Time will tell I guess.

I still can't quite understand why a first year rookie coach would not want a senior assistant, it's hard to comprehend. Even if it was a fill in for a year, you would want someone to bounce ideas with and take the pressure off that isn't a line coach.

Based on the amount of payouts the club has had to make, you would have to think it was a financial decision not a coach decision.

I’ve worked in organisations where assistant managers and managers give conflicting messages and the communication breakdown absolutely destroys the place.

What does having an assistant offer and is it really worth having one? Or is it just another voice/opinion for the rest of the coaching team to listen to?

Nicks was back in Adelaide at the end of 2005 as an Investment Advisor and Stone didn't start in Sydney until 2007.
Seems odd we didn't even contact him for a role.

He would be cheap and we have missed the boat in terms of luring any decent assistant coach currently in the AFL system.

I still believe that most decent AFL assistants won't move to Adelaide (affecting both us and Port) due to geography. Why work in Adelaide when you can have the same job in the epicentre of the industry. Not to mention lifestyle, partner and kids (education) etc.

The explosion in coaching group size across the industry has a knock on effect to clubs in the least desirable locations ie us.

South Austrlalia is the last place a Football profesional wants to live unless they have had a previous positive experience living here. Or it is the only chance to stay in the industry, ie Vossy.

I’ve worked in organisations where assistant managers and managers give conflicting messages and the communication breakdown absolutely destroys the place.

What does having an assistant offer and is it really worth having one? Or is it just another voice/opinion for the rest of the coaching team to listen to?
I would have thought the role is more support, mentoring, sounding board for the coaches rather than another communicator to the players.

They better get one for 2021 but I have my doubts.

So basically it’s Pyke and Campo out, Nicks in.

Nicks must be a bloody good first time coach!

Who was Blights assistants? I don’t recall seeing many people in the coaches box when they showed Blight on screen during a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what we meant by sham review. They didn't want the review. They held it far too late. And they were shocked that it found what we all knew and actually had to go looking for replacements when there was nothing left on the shelf.

Typical Chapman Crows.

Even down to the spin.

Where is the review at BTW? Have they finished? Was anything formally released?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems odd we didn't even contact him for a role.

He would be cheap and we have missed the boat in terms of luring any decent assistant coach currently in the AFL system.

I still believe that most decent AFL assistants won't move to Adelaide (affecting both us and Port) due to geography. Why work in Adelaide when you can have the same job in the epicentre of the industry. Not to mention lifestyle, partner and kids (education) etc.

The explosion in coaching group size across the industry has a knock on effect to clubs in the least desirable locations ie us.

South Austrlalia is the last place a Football profesional wants to live unless they have had a previous positive experience living here. Or it is the only chance to stay in the industry, ie Vossy.

Given we've plucked 2 coaches from the SANFL they might not want to go that route again? I know he has AFL experience, but his areas of experience as an assistant (stoppages) are what Nicks had been running with as part of his work as a senior assistant at Port and GWS, so they might see it as a duplication of roles/knowledge?

Same as how we hired Godden, but then just made him run what Campo wanted anyway.

Is that a bad thing? He obviously developed into a damn good coach without interference from others.

You want us to be crap for another 5 years?

Given we've plucked 2 coaches from the SANFL they might not want to go that route again? I know he has AFL experience, but his areas of experience as an assistant (stoppages) are what Nicks had been running with as part of his work as a senior assistant at Port and GWS, so they might see it as a duplication of roles/knowledge?

Same as how we hired Godden, but then just made him run what Campo wanted anyway.
Good point.

Stone is not really Senior Assistant calibre. And we have his specialty roles covered.

That is right. We hired Godden then moved Campo into this Senior Assistant Role. When Sando was coach he had Bickley in his first year as his right hand man and he was the forward coach. Then Campo who was the midfield coach. Godden is experienced and a premiership coach. He can be the senior assistant/Midfield coach.

I understand the "less voices" angle, it might even have its positives, but I don't believe that less voices is better than a best in the league senior assistant, not having one being a win assumes we'd get a poor senior assistant or use them incorrectly.

A "best football department in the league" goes and gets the best senior assistant in the competition and that would be a quality person who knows how to do the role successfully.

Just come out and admit we couldn't do it, admit that we weren't looking to replace Campo 12 months out, 6 months out and that it's all too late. Admit that it's hard to get people to Adelaide, but that we are working on fixing that, give us something to hold them accountable to in 12 months time.

I'd love to think it's all going to happen in 12 months time, that would probably actually get us a better result, but history has removed that benefit of the doubt. History says it's more likely Nicks is gone before our coaches box is completely turned over.

Not unsurprising, and hopefully, we're able to use this carrot (+ money) to attract someone decent next year.

We probably won't though.

Still, though no senior assistant is better than Scott Camporeale.

Does that mean it's a surprise?
A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field. George Orwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back