Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Hey GD,

About a year ago I moved out of home into a small apartment. Without even giving it much thought, I naturally took my television with me and arranged the living area with it as the focal point. I think this is a very common thing to do.

However, I have probably only turned it on two or three times. I only really watch sports these days and I'll just stream it onto my laptop.

I'm thinking if I got rid of the tv I could do more interesting things with the living area.

Anyone not have a TV in their home?

I have friends that don't have a TV. But they're always watching things on Netflix, ABC iView etc. so I don't get it. Not like they're outside being active or anything. I'm old fashioned and if I'm going to watch something I'd rather have a comfy seat and a big screen than watch it on my laptop and get agitated with buffering.

I like the idea of the TV not being the central focus of a living area. I've only got a small place but if I had a bigger house with multiple living areas I'd prefer to have a main living area with couches facing etc. and then the TV elsewhere. Had a look at an older place a while ago that had a formal lounge plus the usual kitchen/dining/living area all in one. Perfect. My TV is on the wall but I still have a small cabinet under it for AV receiver, Foxtel box etc. If none of that was there the layout of the room would be different and I'd probably put up some more photos or paintings or whatever.

Other friends of mine have a big entertaining area with a big TV and couches pointed at it and everyone always ends up being distracted by whatever sport is on rather than playing on their phones and not talking to each other.

I have friends that don't have a TV. But they're always watching things on Netflix, ABC iView etc. so I don't get it. Not like they're outside being active or anything. I'm old fashioned and if I'm going to watch something I'd rather have a comfy seat and a big screen than watch it on my laptop and get agitated with buffering.

Tend to agree. I am just accustomed to watching things on the laptop, I guess I enjoy that I can take it from the bed to the couch to the loo without interrupting my watching. Like I said I'm not a huge watcher anyway. If I frequently watched movies or shows then I'd just have a TV and stream Netflix through there. I guess this thread is more about interior decorating than disconnecting from TV altogether, but I am interested to hear from people who have stopped watching TV altogether as well.

I like the idea of the TV not being the central focus of a living area. I've only got a small place but if I had a bigger house with multiple living areas I'd prefer to have a main living area with couches facing etc. and then the TV elsewhere. Had a look at an older place a while ago that had a formal lounge plus the usual kitchen/dining/living area all in one. Perfect. My TV is on the wall but I still have a small cabinet under it for AV receiver, Foxtel box etc. If none of that was there the layout of the room would be different and I'd probably put up some more photos or paintings or whatever.

Yeah agreed, would love to be in a big enough place to have a dedicated lounge area and a dedicated entertainment area.

I reckon a lot depends on the size and layout of your house/rooms. If you've got room for 3 couches in a U shape around a coffee table with the TV on the wall you can all sit around and talk or you can all focus on the TV if it's on. I've got a small, narrow space so it's either couch opposite TV or couch opposite another couch and no TV.

If I ever have kids I want to maintain the tradition of an evening meal at the table without the TV on.

Can’t you wall mount it to give you more space to do other “stuff” with

My current tv console doesn't take up lots of space, it's moreso that the TV is the focal point of the living room and in a small space can feel a bit oppressive, especially since I don't turn it on all that much.

I was thinking of putting a larger bookcase against the wall instead, and have a 2 seater + 2 chairs in a sort of 'circle' around the coffee table.

Things are changing, devices and screens are morphed into one thing. A TV is hardly just a TV any more.

I’d still have one because no matter what I’m watching, id like to be able to watch it on a big screen.

As above, wall mounting is a good option. It’s there if you want it and doesn’t take up any space. You can get brackets so you can move, slide and switch it any which way to face wherever you are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I drove a combi around Europe and a car around the US for a year and had no TV and did just fine........... but at home I need TV

I like to watch one game of AFL on TV and watch another on the laptop next to me on a little table.
If one game gets more interesting, it gets put on the TV and the lesser game gets relegated to the laptop.
Also watch a lot of movies
Wouldnt mind a bigger screen but theres a little problem with windows and views

I've been away for a couple of weeks camping with no TV or mobile reception and survived. I've also been traveling overseas for months at a time without a TV (with laptop/phone) and survived. If you've got a TV you'll watch it. If you don't then you'll get by.

TV is the major brain-washing tool of the crony-capitalist corporate establishment.

Orwell's depiction of it's purpose in 1984 was bang on the moula.

It circumvents our rational faculty & debilitates our emotional resilience & maturity.

It is Plato's myth of the cave par excellence.....Haven't turned mine on in yonks.

TV is the major brain-washing tool of the crony-capitalist corporate establishment.

Orwell's depiction of it's purpose in 1984 was bang on the moula.

It circumvents our rational faculty & debilitates our emotional resilience & maturity.

It is Plato's myth of the cave par excellence.....Haven't turned mine on in yonks.
If you haven't turned it on in yonks,why have one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back