No television in the home?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have not had a television in the house for well over five years. If I watch something I just watch on my laptop. If I put something on for the kids they watch off a monitor (24 inch I think).

I don't like televisions because they take up so much space and attention for so little utility (for me). The same goes for beds, such a waste of space. I haven't watched FTA channels asides from football finals for a decade or more. TV sucks!

Would love to know what it was like having to live with a TV license as they had in the UK

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know what it was like having to live with a TV license as they had in the UK

Funny you say that, the Boomers in my family were discussing TV licenses yesterday and I was reading up on them. Good idea in theory as it would have boosted the ABC's funding, but fairly stupid making people pay the government for TV. It also means that there was no such thing as FTA until 1974 when the licenses were abolished by the Whitlam Government

As a kid in the UK I can remember mum running upstairs to turn off my little black and white tv and hide it in the cupboard for an hr

Hadn't paid a licence for the second tv.

Tv detector man would drive around the streets.....detecting tvs

What was the penalty if found out? A fine or time served in a pound me in the ass prison?

Well I was about seven years old so my interest in why was far inferior to nearly everything else in my life at the time
I'd say it would've been a fine shell
She even used to put a blanket over the tv in the cupboard like it emitted some alien space signal
Id say they only detected them when they were on tho.

Dunno if they still charge them for a licence over there???

In Britain they pay a tax on bedrooms apparently. Like the more bedrooms your house has you gotta cough up
I read in Ukraine you don't pay property tax on apartments unless they are more than 60sqm (120sqm for standalone dwellings). If an apartment is well designed you could get one within that size with three rooms (2 bedrooms).

I read in Ukraine you don't pay property tax on apartments unless they are more than 60sqm (120sqm for standalone dwellings). If an apartment is well designed you could get one within that size with three rooms (2 bedrooms).

Thats a good idea. I didnt have to pay stamp duty tho as its my first property saved like 20k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back