No Test for the WACA - WA stadium mentality comes to fruition...

Remove this Banner Ad

If the WACA can get its redevelopment over the line it'll survive. Dennis Lillee again reiterated on radio that 28000 is the target capacity of the redevelopment. For the majority of international matches, that is more than enough for a boutique cricket ground. The only matches that might exceed that capacity is the first 3 days of an Ashes test, potential world cup games and Big Bash, and Lillee has already flagged that BB games and large drawing ODIs would be moved to Burswood. Tests never would however, no need when a test against anyone other than England probably won't draw close to 30000 outside of day 1. People need to remember than the WACA owns the WACA ground and the land it's on. It doesn't pay rent nor does it lose any % of ticket sales to anyone else in a stadium deal. Moving any games to Burswood is dependant on whether the extra revenue gained from more ticket sales would exceed the losses of renting out the stadium in a stadium deal enough to make it worthwhile.

Scaremongering from Hughes. Only 4 tests next season is because of the World Cup. After that it'll go back to at least 5, and some years 6 to include Tasmania. It does set a precedent that when if the season does get culled to only 4 tests Perth misses out, but I dont think channel 9 would be too happy losing their only prime time test match on a regular basis after paying a record amount for the rights.

basashi = Great post mate :)
Them facts presented are somewhat scary.

the only thing I do not understand is that 2 out of the other wickets are drop in wickets, while the WACA is A cricket ground.

^^ That i do not understand

On the flip side, Cricket is now a buisness just like the AFL. So it is not that much of a surprise

You say this like you don't have your own extensive mining industry.

its no where near as extensive as WA or Qld, or prob even NSW. From what I know we have huge deposits of expensive rocks but they aren't close to the earth's surface so its easier and cheaper to concentrate on the WA and Queensland ones. If technology allows our mining sector to really develop, then I hope we will rightfully regain our status of Australia's third most important city;)

I'm in the "sell up and move to Burswood" camp... drop-in pitch or not. There's no point having a non drop-in pitch if it's not going to be used for test cricket.

This whole "staying for tradition" mindset is going to send them bankrupt... and every time they go running to the government for money it just reinforces how much money they could make if they redeveloped the WACA area into complete residential area.

Don't even get me started on the proposed redevelopments which will add apartment buildings around the ground. Name another test cricket stadium that has that.

The WACA are quickly becoming a joke and losing the test match this year is one of the least surprising news stories of the week. The only surprising bit is that it didn't happen earlier.

I can count 9 major ones in early construction, planning and approvals stages at the moment. Ibis Hotel (Adelaide Trc), Holiday Inn Express (Adelaide Trc), Crown Towers (Burswood), Amara Hotel (Adelaide Trc), Milligan Hotel (Milligan St), Oaks (Wellington St), Le Meriedien (Hay st), Duxton Hotel extension (St Georges) and Perth Waterfront Hotel (RSD).

Swan/ Canning River isn't the Sydney Harbour. It's not as deep and doesn't have anywhere near the number of protected bays.

Different sized venues serve different purposes. The State Theatre is a replacement for the the Playhouse Theatre (700 seats) which got demolished for the Cathedral square development.

WAAC are incompetent. They've really been slow to act and only planned for the short term.

I will take your point on the hotels. If they are all in progress then is something - albeit too late.

In general, WA has a very strong tendency to underspec things.

I also think the only thing holding the state back from winning the occasional major event is the "keep it small / this isn't Hollywood" mentality.

Don't even get me started on the proposed redevelopments which will add apartment buildings around the ground. Name another test cricket stadium that has that.

No other cricket stadium can do that because no other cricket organisation actually owns the land the stadium is on. The WACA is in a unique position as it does, so they can build apartments, sell them, and they get all the profits.

Just picking up on the shitty drop-in pitch arguments. Is there any reason why a decent drop-in pitch can't be produced?

The new stadium is only going to be 2km away from the WACA, so it has exactly the same climate conditions. I understand that the WACA truck in the soil and clay used for the pitch square, so we should be able to use the same source for the drop-in pitches.

Any reason why we can't have a half-decent drop-in pitch at Burswood that will have similar characteristics to a traditional WACA wicket?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just picking up on the shitty drop-in pitch arguments. Is there any reason why a decent drop-in pitch can't be produced?

The new stadium is only going to be 2km away from the WACA, so it has exactly the same climate conditions. I understand that the WACA truck in the soil and clay used for the pitch square, so we should be able to use the same source for the drop-in pitches.

Any reason why we can't have a half-decent drop-in pitch at Burswood that will have similar characteristics to a traditional WACA wicket?

Because there isn't actually much clay of the right composition I have heard.

Though the WACA definately should experiment with drop ins and see if it can.
The traditional WACA wicket is pretty much the main arguement for keeping cricket at the ground.

If the WACA can get its redevelopment over the line it'll survive. Dennis Lillee again reiterated on radio that 28000 is the target capacity of the redevelopment.

I still just can't see where that's coming from. Stage 1 includes the demolition of the Inverarity stand and a big chunk of the outer filled with an apartment block. Capacity will drop another 3-4000. Other developments will use up more land, yet capacity will increase by 10,000? Having seen the sketches of it, the Prindiville stand will go, to be replaced with a reasonably modest stand on that side similar to the Lillee Marsh (which is unlikely to get built unless they get significant government funding - which they won't). Even if it all goes to plan, I can't see 28,000 in there. It looks like a 20k capacity venue.

disappointing the perth test match is the best timing... you can actually watch most of the game

personally i prefer cricket @ smaller venues, like in england

If the WACA can get its redevelopment over the line it'll survive. Dennis Lillee again reiterated on radio that 28000 is the target capacity of the redevelopment. For the majority of international matches, that is more than enough for a boutique cricket ground. The only matches that might exceed that capacity is the first 3 days of an Ashes test, potential world cup games and Big Bash, and Lillee has already flagged that BB games and large drawing ODIs would be moved to Burswood. Tests never would however, no need when a test against anyone other than England probably won't draw close to 30000 outside of day 1. People need to remember than the WACA owns the WACA ground and the land it's on. It doesn't pay rent nor does it lose any % of ticket sales to anyone else in a stadium deal. Moving any games to Burswood is dependant on whether the extra revenue gained from more ticket sales would exceed the losses of renting out the stadium in a stadium deal enough to make it worthwhile.

If they really can get 28000-30000 at the WACA + plus the number of people who can watch from surrounding apartments, than I'm happy with it to remain as a test venue.

Domestic and International Twenty20 must be played at the biggest venue possible though (ODIs will be dead by the time Burswood is completed) . Scorchers final could pull 60 000.

If they really can get 28000-30000 at the WACA + plus the number of people who can watch from surrounding apartments, than I'm happy with it to remain as a test venue.

Domestic and International Twenty20 must be played at the biggest venue possible though (ODIs will be dead by the time Burswood is completed) . Scorchers final could pull 60 000.

ODIs won't be dead.
Most popular format in the sub continent and still the highest rating in Australia.

https://soundcloud.com/6ix-perth/dennis-lillee-13-09-13

You can listen to Lillee's interview straight after the decision here. Says they're about to press the button on starting the redevelopment which is great to hear. Interesting that he says that Tests wont be able to be played at Burswood because of the ICC rules on drop in pitches, that it has to be in the ground for the entire season.

Interesting that he says that Tests wont be able to be played at Burswood because of the ICC rules on drop in pitches, that it has to be in the ground for the entire season.

Well, that's a bloody fly in the ointment. Who the hell do the ICC think they are?

*shakes fist*

https://soundcloud.com/6ix-perth/dennis-lillee-13-09-13

You can listen to Lillee's interview straight after the decision here. Says they're about to press the button on starting the redevelopment which is great to hear. Interesting that he says that Tests wont be able to be played at Burswood because of the ICC rules on drop in pitches, that it has to be in the ground for the entire season.

Doesn't this mean that tests won't be able to be played at most grounds?

Doesn't the MCG have a drop in? Will Adelaide Oval? What about the SCG?

They way I read it, the drop-in need to be installed at the start of the cricket season, and stay in place till the end of the season. Basically locking the ground away from any other use for a few months. Not exactly what you want for a multi-purpose stadium, or for a sporting organisation like the WACA - to play a test match at the new stadium they'd have to book it out for the whole summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back