No Test for the WACA - WA stadium mentality comes to fruition...

Remove this Banner Ad

This is all speculative on the belief that the WACA wont be redeveloped. If they can secure funding though and redevelop the ground to 28000, then tests will never leave. CA dont control where the games are played. They give the games to the state cricket associations and they pick the venues.

This is all speculative on the belief that the WACA wont be redeveloped. If they can secure funding though and redevelop the ground to 28000, then tests will never leave. CA dont control where the games are played. They give the games to the state cricket associations and they pick the venues.
So then they do control where the games are played. They give a game to the WACA, who chose to hold it at the WACA Ground. If they don't give a game to the WACA, then the Ground doesn't get a game.
Same deal in SA. Don't give SACA a game and CA has thus chosen to not play a game at AO.

This is true, but it's unlikely the WACA will get the funding for the sort of redevelopment they need. You're looking at a couple of hundred million or so given the Inverarity stand is about to fall over and needs replacement and the increase in capacity of 10,000.
Given the likelihood of getting that sort of funding it's fair to assume it aint coming given it's a venue with only a handful of event days that will draw more than a fraction of the capacity. Governments aren't interested, private sector isn't interested, and the WACA can't generate enough money to finance it themselves. That's why every other major cricket ground in the country hosts football. If they didn't, then they'd probably all look something like the WACA.

A rule that doesn't appear to exist outside a Dennis Lillee interview.

But if it does, somehow it affects the incoming Perth stadium but not the MCG or Adelaide Oval.

The ICC rules for minimum ground sizes for ODI's for example apply to new ground applying for such honours. Existing grounds that have already hosted ODI's previously are exempt. Perhaps the same applies, existing grounds fine, but any new ground must comply to the new minimum standard.

But if it does, somehow it affects the incoming Perth stadium but not the MCG or Adelaide Oval.

But at both those grounds, once footy ends doesnt a drop in pitch immediately get laid and remains right up until footy returns? So it would comply with such a rule that may exist.

The rule being discussed (whether it exists or not) is that a Test pitch must be laid in the ground for the entire season. At the MCG and AO as soon as footy is over they drop all 8 pitches in and they stay there for 5 months. At Westpac Stadium in Wellington it's dropped in for an ODI, taken out for an A-League game, etc etc, all summer.
If the rule exists then it precludes WS from hosting a Test.

But the WAFC wont have control of the ground, like they do of Subiaco now. Likewise the WACA wont be allowed control of the stadium, which means no drop in for the whole summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/waca-apologises-over-big-bash-final-chaos-20140208-328hr.html

is there really a stadium anywhere that can deal with a gargantuan crowd of 21k? Sounds like sorcery to me.

The WACA has too MANY outlets if you ask me.

At least the new stadium design cracks down on the frivolous, excessive facilities that subi and the WACA overindulge in. The spec for the new stadium only includes one 150 dining room and one 500 seat dining / function room.

I am so excited i can't sleep waiting for our new glorious era of austerity.

Nothing to do with the facilities. The WACA werent expecting to host the final and it was clear they were not prepared for it. Severely understaffed, ran out of kegs of beer and they were running low of bottles too. During the Test match where they had more people service was fine.

Nothing to do with the facilities. The WACA werent expecting to host the final and it was clear they were not prepared for it. Severely understaffed, ran out of kegs of beer and they were running low of bottles too. During the Test match where they had more people service was fine.

Well people need to be fired. NOW. That is incompetence of a truly magnificent scale.

WTF were they doing?

Not sure about the last comment in the OP article. The Gabba is nowhere near as friendly a stadium for the punter as they'd like to make out...good for footy, but awful for cricket...

Not sure about the last comment in the OP article. The Gabba is nowhere near as friendly a stadium for the punter as they'd like to make out...good for footy, but awful for cricket...
Except for the fact it is a stadium, which from a commercial POV makes it pretty awesome in the books of people like CA.

Never had anywhere near as much fun at the Gabba after the hill was gone...the grandstands were good for a season or two, then the novelty was gone...the real problem though was management. When I attended the 2006-07 test, I went on the worst day ever - Australia batted so slowly they were accused of deliberately trying to take the test into day 5, and the crowd were simmering a bit. Super strict ground rules on what you could bring in, what the Barmy Army could entertain us with (virtually nothing, including the trumpeter), mixed in with incredibly lame lunch entertainment and incessant 3 Mobile advertising, saw mexican wave after wave ripple through the ground by about 3pm...one was started a few metres from me, and I kid you not, an army of armed SWAT team members were posted at the gates around that section...horrendous effort which unfortunately has been duplicated since...

Thinking of the drop-in pitch and our belief that it may have to be in all season for ICC to approve for Test matches.
The New Zealand vs India Test at Eden Park was played on a drop-in pitch on 6-9 February. The centre-line was visible either end of the pitch (painted over in green) from the A-League game between Wellington and Adelaide on 1 February. Following this Test Match the NRL Auckland 9's was played yesterday and today (15-16 February) at the same venue.

So I'm guessing you don't have to keep a pitch in the ground for a full season to play a Test.

Might have been the case in the past though as I remember the 2005/06 season when the MCG was being prepared for the Commonwealth Games and only hosted the Boxing Day Test, the pitch was in the ground when I visited in October for the Super Series. Possibly more to do with having to transport the pitches over the incomplete surface before they laid the track and covered it with grass for the Test.

Drop in pitches are ghey and the WACA's natural pitch is arguably the best in the world, needs to be kept.
Please don't. You wouldn't say "drop in pitches are Jewish" or "drop in pitches are negro". Why? Because it's racist and oppresses those people by your associating them with something which you consider bad. So don't do it to women, homosexuals, dwarfs, blind people, left-handers or any other group of people. There are many many other words you can use to describe your opinion of drop-in pitches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back