No Test for the WACA - WA stadium mentality comes to fruition...

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
WTF is up with WA and stadiums? The most resource rich region in the world just about, and you have two stadiums that are third world standard! SORT IT OUT! I love, LOVE watching games from the WACA, now it seems we'll have to put up with the steaming turd that is Canberra for Test matches.

I'm sure if someone was bold enough to lift up a roll of fat from Jabba the Rinehart's arse that a billion or so dollars would be found, so bloody do it!

Christ on a bike! Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast was rebuilt in less than 18 months for $144 million! How hard can it be to get an AFL/Test cricket ground and stadium built in "Australia's richest city"?

/rant over.

GST.
NAd also the roads and hospitals were more important at the time.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Trash article. The WACA is scheduled a test up to 2020.
What do you have to go on for this? Out of interest.
If the ICC said enough, made it clear that the venue is not up to the international standards they prescribe, this would change.

Spearhead

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts
If the ICC said enough, made it clear that the venue is not up to the international standards they prescribe, this would change.

You do realise the WACA is better than most of the current Test grounds in places like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies & New Zealand?

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

The ICC won't say s**t because it's not true given some stadiums that host games.

And Sam Gannon (Chairman of the WACA said it on the radio) and the Future Tours Program has Australia playing 5-6 tests a summer every year after 2014/25 until 2020

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
You do realise the WACA is better than most of the current Test grounds in places like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies & New Zealand?
The ICC won't say s**t because it's not true given some stadiums that host games.

And Sam Gannon (Chairman of the WACA said it on the radio) and the Future Tours Program has Australia playing 5-6 tests a summer every year after 2014/25 until 2020
I heard that ICC officials at the Test weren't all that impressed with what they saw.

Playing 5-6 Tests a summer without Perth would be easy.
Bellerive already hosts most summers and would happily pick up where the WACA drops off. Manuka is already back on the ODI scene as well.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I heard that ICC officials at the Test weren't all that impressed with what they saw.

Bellerive already hosts most summers and would happily pick up where the WACA drops off. Manuka is already back on the ODI scene as well.

Manuka will never get a test ahead of Perth.

This is just CA trying to coerce the WACA to go to drop ins at the Burswood.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Because?

Where will they play the Test? Given ICC doesn't approve drop-ins that aren't in the ground all season for Test matches.

Because the ACT doesn't have board members, doesn't have a shield side and doesn't have good tv time slot.
You'd get less money from gatetakings than a WACA test, less money from tv rights and bugger up the finances of one of the six main state associations.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because the ACT doesn't have board members, doesn't have a shield side and doesn't have good tv time slot.
You'd get less money from gatetakings than a WACA test, less money from tv rights and bugger up the finances of one of the six main state associations.

Bellerive wont get a major test in front of the WACA, or at least any ground the WACA play on. I'm sure they will sort things in WA. You cant not play tests in the nations 4th city. Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Townsville, Cairns will never supplant the big 5 cities.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Bellerive wont get a major test in front of the WACA, or at least any ground the WACA play on. I'm sure they will sort things in WA. You cant not play tests in the nations 4th city. Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Townsville, Cairns will never supplant the big 5 cities.

And in the same token Canberra, Darwin etc won't get tests ahead of Hobart.

This is entirely about setting up the public for a move to Burswood and a drop in

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
And in the same token Canberra, Darwin etc won't get tests ahead of Hobart.

This is entirely about setting up the public for a move to Burswood and a drop in
I'll ask again how they will play Tests at Burswood if the ICC doesn't approve venues for that format of the game unless the pitch is dropped in for an entire season.
Given no team/organisation is meant to be able to have reign over others, they can't really leave them in.
Of the two NZ venues with drop-ins (Eden Park and Westpac Stadium), only one hosts Tests. Why? Because Westpac Stadium's summers are shared between cricket and soccer. It's not able to be approved for Test matches, even big ones (whatever they happen to be in NZ)
So, how will Burswood Stadium be approved by the ICC for Test status, even Ashes/India?

Spearhead

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts

Name these so called ICC officials then? If that were the case than Test Cricket would only be played in 4 or 5 countries as most of the stadiums in Asia, West Indies, NZ are worse than the WACA!

Without a Perth Test CA's TV rights deal would be halved.
By the year 2020 on current population trends Perth will be the 3rd biggest city in Australia overtaking Brisbane. With the new Burswood Stadium hopefully open by then with a capacity of 60k+ it might be AO that misses out in future 4 Test Series summers like next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'll ask again how they will play Tests at Burswood if the ICC doesn't approve venues for that format of the game unless the pitch is dropped in for an entire season.
Given no team/organisation is meant to be able to have reign over others, they can't really leave them in.
Of the two NZ venues with drop-ins (Eden Park and Westpac Stadium), only one hosts Tests. Why? Because Westpac Stadium's summers are shared between cricket and soccer. It's not able to be approved for Test matches, even big ones (whatever they happen to be in NZ)
So, how will Burswood Stadium be approved by the ICC for Test status, even Ashes/India?

In a practical sense it could be done. Drop in the pitch in October ready for a Test in December, followed by domestic T20 and an ODI into early January. After which the pitch can be removed and the ground made ready for a return to footy.

It ties up the stadium for about 3 months. The question is what other events would miss out on using the stadium during this period when it is configured for cricket? I can't see there being too many alternatives that would draw big crowds. Music events will generally go to the new Perth Arena than opt for a large outdoor venue. The way I see it, without cricket the stadium will be largely empty over the summer months anyway, so having it configured for cricket for a few weeks isn't going to bump another code out of the venue.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
It ties up the stadium for about 3 months. The question is what other events would miss out on using the stadium during this period when it is configured for cricket?

International soccer comes to mind. The new stadium will be the 3rd biggest in the country, and Perth has more favourable TV times for Asia, so it makes sense to play a Socceroos game in Perth every now and then. They wont let the Socceroos play on a cricket pitch though.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
In a practical sense it could be done. Drop in the pitch in October ready for a Test in December, followed by domestic T20 and an ODI into early January. After which the pitch can be removed and the ground made ready for a return to footy.

It ties up the stadium for about 3 months. The question is what other events would miss out on using the stadium during this period when it is configured for cricket? I can't see there being too many alternatives that would draw big crowds. Music events will generally go to the new Perth Arena than opt for a large outdoor venue. The way I see it, without cricket the stadium will be largely empty over the summer months anyway, so having it configured for cricket for a few weeks isn't going to bump another code out of the venue.

Cricket and football should attempt to work together, they seem to be able to do it at community level everywhere across the country with minimum hassles, in fact many local club cricket committees are involved in the football side of things, and vice versa.

I agree that without cricket the stadium will be largely empty over the summer, withstanding a few huge concerts.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
International soccer comes to mind. The new stadium will be the 3rd biggest in the country, and Perth has more favourable TV times for Asia, so it makes sense to play a Socceroos game in Perth every now and then. They wont let the Socceroos play on a cricket pitch though.

Would they be likely to be playing big games in the October- December window?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Name these so called ICC officials then? If that were the case than Test Cricket would only be played in 4 or 5 countries as most of the stadiums in Asia, West Indies, NZ are worse than the WACA!

Well I don't know! Never heard. Doesn't mean they weren't there and doesn't mean there's not a double-standard (as I mentioned in a previous post). Was mentioned on the radio commentary during a break from memory.
Compare WACA to other Test venues in Australia. Pretty sure people at the ICC would do that, deliberately or not.
The defence of "the ground is better than half/most of the grounds in many other countries" doesn't hold water IMO. Makes it really seem like you'd rather have a venue at less than world-class standards because you can.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Would they be likely to be playing big games in the October- December window?

They've played some WC qualifiers at home during this time in the past. Not against big teams, but against Asian countries who would benefit more from a game in Perth than on the other side of the country.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
i'm not getting perth as a good network TV slot for anything but 20/20 cricket games. great for AFL games. afternoon games in perth are twilight EST and twighlight perth games are prime time EST. best of both worlds. sun twilight afl games are actually afternoon games in perth, win win.

the commercials love a good lead in to their flagship news services and i'm afraid cricket in WA isn't it. there will be programmers at 9 who hate the perth test match. probably not especially fond of Adelaide and Brisbane either to be perfectly honest.

the lead into the news is very important. 7 news sat after the AFL GF 1.6m, 9 less than a mill. normally both sit at 1.1 - 1.2m. huge win for 7 there. Sunday nights are usually the highest rating news services. so anything that takes away viewers or messes with them is looked upon with hate. being the highest rated TV channel is no idle boast, it correlates directly in $$$$.

so cricket from WA, the last session runs from 5 - 7.30 EDT. unless the cricket is rating thru the roof, the programmers are not happy campers. and unless it's an ashes series you can bet anything you've got that they could charge more for the news than the cricket because it is a known quantity, with a broader demogrpahic. ashes series, different story, but like AFL / NRL GFs and SOO, they rate high enough to be left alone.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
i'm not getting perth as a good network TV slot for anything but 20/20 cricket games. great for AFL games. afternoon games in perth are twilight EST and twighlight perth games are prime time EST. best of both worlds. sun twilight afl games are actually afternoon games in perth, win win.

the commercials love a good lead in to their flagship news services and i'm afraid cricket in WA isn't it. there will be programmers at 9 who hate the perth test match. probably not especially fond of Adelaide and Brisbane either to be perfectly honest.

the lead into the news is very important. 7 news sat after the AFL GF 1.6m, 9 less than a mill. normally both sit at 1.1 - 1.2m. huge win for 7 there. Sunday nights are usually the highest rating news services. so anything that takes away viewers or messes with them is looked upon with hate. being the highest rated TV channel is no idle boast, it correlates directly in $$$$.

so cricket from WA, the last session runs from 5 - 7.30 EDT. unless the cricket is rating thru the roof, the programmers are not happy campers. and unless it's an ashes series you can bet anything you've got that they could charge more for the news than the cricket because it is a known quantity, with a broader demogrpahic. ashes series, different story, but like AFL / NRL GFs and SOO, they rate high enough to be left alone.
They don't interrupt the news anymore. Send you to the news and put the cricket on GEM.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Wow you couldnt be more wrong. Why are 9 heavily pushing CA to replace Brisbane with Perth as the first test of the summer jusy so prime time test gets aired during the ratings period if they hate the Perth test. The Monday evening session of the Perth test rated 1.6 million nationally.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Well I don't know! Never heard. Doesn't mean they weren't there and doesn't mean there's not a double-standard (as I mentioned in a previous post). Was mentioned on the radio commentary during a break from memory.
Compare WACA to other Test venues in Australia. Pretty sure people at the ICC would do that, deliberately or not.
The defence of "the ground is better than half/most of the grounds in many other countries" doesn't hold water IMO. Makes it really seem like you'd rather have a venue at less than world-class standards because you can.

So it comes down entirely to whether this rule about cricket pitches being in for the whole season actually exists?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
So it comes down entirely to whether this rule about cricket pitches being in for the whole season actually exists?
That, and, if it does, whether the Ground Authority is willing to leave pitches in for an extended period if it removes the potential of other sports using the venue during that time.

Remember also that although the facilities at the WACA may be considered better than some subcontinent/Caribbean venues, CA may not be willing to use a venue of a lower standard than the others. Play Tests at the 'Gabba, AO, MCG, SCG and, "Oh God, look at the WACA, I thought we were in Australia, not [insert country with worse grounds]!" Doesn't look good from CA's POV.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
That, and, if it does, whether the Ground Authority is willing to leave pitches in for an extended period if it removes the potential of other sports using the venue during that time.

Remember also that although the facilities at the WACA may be considered better than some subcontinent/Caribbean venues, CA may not be willing to use a venue of a lower standard than the others. Play Tests at the 'Gabba, AO, MCG, SCG and, "Oh God, look at the WACA, I thought we were in Australia, not [insert country with worse grounds]!" Doesn't look good from CA's POV.

I'd imagine it would come down to how much the WACA were prepared to pay in rent. If they want to reserve the venue for 4 months of the year, then you'd expect a pretty hefty rental charge, irrespective of whether or not they choose to host matches there.

Such a scenario would probably make the use of the venue uneconomic. Assuming the season doesn't change much in 2018/19, they'd only need a wicket in place from early December to early February (or even late January). If some obscure ICC rule prevents the ground from hosting a test match, then it's cricket's loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back