no ufc for melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

cuzzy_bandwagon

Debutant
Dec 11, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
did any of you guys see the report on ten news last night about ufc coming to melbourne later in the year?

It's not looking good, Brumby has come out and said he will never let it happen down here because its "barbaric and not inline with community standards"

wtf can we do? i dont mind going on another road trip to see it again but it would nice to have it in melbourne next time.

Dana said in the press conference that Melbourne is on his hit list and that he has legislation overturned in most places they visit. Said that with a bit of education something will be arranged, even if I didn't love MMA, the tourism benefits are very beneficial. He also said that when an event is as successful as this Australian tour, it will probably be done annually. Good times..

Once Brumby see the dollars and the money that it will generate the city and state, he will overturn his decision and welcome UFC with open arms.

Money talks for him.

I was a boxing fan in the glory days and I don't usually come on to forums
that don't interest me, but feel strongly that UF is wrong on many levels
and I for one hope it never comes to Melbourne or any other city in
Australia. Bashing a bloke who is on the ground is not a sport.

Why isn't fighting on the ground a sport, yet stand-up is? Please explain that one to me. You feel strongly that "UF is wrong on many levels"? That's fine. Completely ignorant, especially from a boxing fan, but fine. I feel strongly against nuff-nuffs like yourself who think they are the moral center of the universe and want there beliefs imposed on an entire nation, even after the success of last sundays event.

Pull your head out of your arse. Your ignorant view of the sport (and yes, it fits every definition of the word "sport" possible) is the epitome of selfishness:thumbsdown:

Bashing a bloke who is on the ground is not a sport.

Surely you can see that many would say the same thing about boxing: Bashing a bloke is not a sport. I can understand your view re the early days of UFC, but the sport has cleaned itself up. Don't forget that the two guys start on their feet, if you don't want to cop a ground and pound, then stay upright. Don't compare "bashing on the ground" to the kinds of news reports we hear of violent drunken yobbos in the cities of Australia.

And apart from some contentious decisions in recent times (eg. Machida), UFC is here to stay and boxing is in trouble. Who gets excited about a boxing card these days? But whatever people's opinions are, such as those expressed against Twenty20 a few short years ago, the public will be the arbiters of what will and won't succeed. Twenty20 is here to stay. MMA is here to stay.

Surely you can see that many would say the same thing about boxing: Bashing a bloke is not a sport. I can understand your view re the early days of UFC, but the sport has cleaned itself up. Don't forget that the two guys start on their feet, if you don't want to cop a ground and pound, then stay upright. Don't compare "bashing on the ground" to the kinds of news reports we hear of violent drunken yobbos in the cities of Australia.

And apart from some contentious decisions in recent times (eg. Machida), UFC is here to stay and boxing is in trouble. Who gets excited about a boxing card these days? But whatever people's opinions are, such as those expressed against Twenty20 a few short years ago, the public will be the arbiters of what will and won't succeed. Twenty20 is here to stay. MMA is here to stay.

That's what they said about 50 over cricket, now on its knees.
And you're right about boxing, it is in trouble.
Maybe it's just me (doubt it) but there is something either not sporting/undignified in pinning someone on the ground and laying into him as there is with kicking someone. Kicking is the lowest of low.
Something a bit more nobler about waiting for someone to get up off the canvas.

Why isn't fighting on the ground a sport, yet stand-up is? Please explain that one to me. You feel strongly that "UF is wrong on many levels"? That's fine. Completely ignorant, especially from a boxing fan, but fine. I feel strongly against nuff-nuffs like yourself who think they are the moral center of the universe and want there beliefs imposed on an entire nation, even after the success of last sundays event.

Pull your head out of your arse. Your ignorant view of the sport (and yes, it fits every definition of the word "sport" possible) is the epitome of selfishness:thumbsdown:

Who the **** wants to impose on the entire nation??!! IMO i hope it dies in the arse and is never shown in this country again. If others want to watch then go ahead.

EDIT : maybe this needs to be moved to new "UFC criticism thread"

Who the **** wants to impose on the entire nation??!! IMO i hope it dies in the arse and is never shown in this country again. If others want to watch then go ahead.

EDIT : maybe this needs to be moved to new "UFC criticism thread"

So you hope it "dies in the arse and is never shown in this country again" and yet you are happy if others want to go and watch it?. Nice contradiction. If you don't care if others want to go and watch it, why couldn't you just ignore MMA's existence? Why did you come on here to comment about it? Why did have to create such a fuss? You won't simply ignore it because you believe your beliefs hold more weight than others. There's no other explanation for it.

I want to seriously educate you on the matter. If you are open minded enough to hear me out, which I doubt.

MMA is a legitimate sport, extremely technical and skillful, and fine if it's not your cup of tea, but to say it's not a sport and spout on about the "wrongs" of 'bashing someone on the ground' reeks of pure ignorance.

We get it you're a jaded boxer, be let me tell you this, its far more brutal to watch a man get up after a standing 8 count, almost unconsious only to fight again. At least in MMA, the fight is over and brain damage is minimal.

IN any case, have you the guts to be open minded and learn about MMA or are you happy to be ignorant? I am willing to educate you. You may not like it, you may not even see anything poditive about it, but at least you'll have enough information to make a sensible conclusion rather than running your mouth in ignorance.

the way i see it in regards to mma vs boxing is really that anyone can learn to stand around punching someone with some training. but correct me if i'm wrong but aren't most mma fighters particularly ufc ones highly trained in at least one if not more of the various martial arts or wrestling. It takes alot more skill to participate in ufc than it does for boxing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes to compete at the highest level of MMA, whether it be the UFC or other organisations, you need to be skilled at every aspect of the fight game, at least have the basics of wrestling, striking and ground fighting covered, or you are going to be exposed quick smart. Most wont be 'world class' in any of the disciplines, but will be very good at each. The very best MMA fighers will be 'world' class in one and very good at the others.

It still takes a crazy amount of skill to get to the top of food chain in boxing, but in terms of being an overall fighter, a straight up boxer would get punished in MMA, even if it was the likes of Manny Pacquiao, just because they have stacked all their eggs in one basket.

Manny Pacquiao would not need to learn "ground skills" or wrestling for that matter because he would destroy these guys within the first round, as would most quality boxers.

None of these guys would be national class boxers or wrestlers.

Boxers skill level >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UFC skill level.

p.s of course the size of these blokes would trouble smaller boxers

Manny Pacquiao would not need to learn "ground skills" or wrestling for that matter because he would destroy these guys within the first round, as would most quality boxers.

TGBB, I really like your work in the NFL forums and you are one of the AE brotherhood but you are way off the mark here. Whether you like it or not, MMA will be around and in your face for a very long time.

Either keep your head in the sand or become informed and then have a respected and calculated opinion.

As for the highlighted text, quite obviously you don't watch MMA. Many participants were Div 1 All-Americans in Wrestling. MMA has given these fine athletes a career path that really didn't exist 15 years ago.

are you kidding me theres plenty of blokes in ufc that have been all american and champion wrestlers, and any boxer would be in trouble because the ufc blokes would come in knowing his strengths and have the bloke on the ground before he could even throw more than one punch. and in ufc there's no ref to break the fighters up when they start hugging

Neddy, you're probably spot on mate. But the little I have seen makes me wince at how......what's the word....gutter-looking the whole thing is. Just my opinion of course.

Love this article on Floyd Mayweather talking up boxing against UFC.

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
April 18, 2007

Floyd Mayweather stands almost 5-foot-9, weighs 154 pounds, has a 72-inch reach and can drop most mortals with a single swing of either hand.
He's fast, athletic and dodges punches as well as anyone, maybe ever. In 13 world title fights, he won all 13. His next one is May 5 in Las Vegas, this time as a junior middleweight, against Oscar de la Hoya, as big a fight as boxing has seen in years.
His nickname may be "Pretty Boy," but he is one bad, bad man.
On Cinco de Mayo we'll find out if Mayweather can beat de la Hoya he's the heavy favorite but could he beat a snarling, menacing, multi-skilled champion of the Ultimate Fighting Championship?
How about lightweight (155 pound) champ Sean Sherk, who may stand just 5-foot-6, may suffer from a distinct reach disadvantage, but as a mixed martial arts master is schooled in "interdisciplinary forms of fighting that include jiu-jitsu, judo, karate, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling."

Could the best pound-for-pound fighter in the old combat sport (boxing) handle a champion in the new combat sport (UFC)?
"UFC's champions can't handle boxing. That's why they are in UFC." Mayweather said Tuesday from Las Vegas during a break in training. "Put one of our guys in UFC and he'd be the champion. Any good fighter, he'd straight knock them out."
Dana White, a one-time boxer and boxing instructor and current UFC president, laughs at that.
"Boxers couldn't become mixed martial artists. That's why they're boxers," White countered Wednesday from England where UFC has an event Saturday. "They are one trick ponies. Our guys can do everything. They can box, they can kick box, they can wrestle and do jiu-jitsu. They are much better athletes than boxers."
Mayweather may be right, but he'd have to be. Any boxer stepping into the UFC octagon would have to knock his opponent out before the mixed martial artist got a hold of him, because once the fight fell to the mat, where things get nasty, the boxer is all but finished.
But, as Mayweather points out, the often (by boxing standards) clumsy and lead-with-their-face UFC guys would have to walk through a hail of vicious jabs, crosses and hooks to get there.
"Take Chuck Liddell," Mayweather said of the UFC's biggest star and light heavyweight champion (about 205 pounds). "Put him in the ring with a (boxer) who is just 10-0 and Chuck Liddell would get punished."
So you'd punish a UFC champion, too?
"Come on, man. What'd you think? Am I just 10-0?"
Mayweather is 37-0.
Liddell, with six inches and 50 pounds on Mayweather, isn't possible, but someone like Sherk, someone his size? With that insane reach, unreal punching power and by UFC rules aided by small, light 4-ounce gloves would Mayweather carve up Sherk instantly? Or would Sherk fight throughout the barrage and get Mayweather in a clutch no ref will save him from?
"They wouldn't have a chance to grapple (us) because we'd knock them out," Mayweather said in general. "(The fighter) would be knocked out before he even touched us."
Of course, perhaps no punch is strong enough to stop a charging opponent.
No one really knows what would happen at such an elite level.
"I used to talk like Floyd Mayweather when I was involved in boxing," White said. "I talked just like him, until I educated myself about this sport. These guys are amazing athletes, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, (and) Sean Sherk will whoop his ass in under two minutes."
"Any day that Mayweather wants to put his money and his ass where his mouth is, I'm ready," White continued. "If he wants to step up, let's do it."
First off, Mayweather was talking mostly in general about his disdain for UFC "Boxing is an art, UFC is a fad." But Mayweather has spent almost as much time this spring ripping UFC as de la Hoya, who he seems to consider as little more than a matinee idol useful for only increasing the purse.
"I never knew popularity to win any fight," Mayweather said. "I'll beat him and come home and watch basketball."
The UFC, though, is clearly on his mind. He brought it up on his own Tuesday. Earlier this month he cracked that "anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight."
Mayweather may be a talker loquacious doesn't begin to describe the 30-year-old but he isn't dumb. So maybe he is setting up another big pay day in the event he dusts de la Hoya and boxing has little to offer. Or maybe he just wants to promote a fight involving others.
Of course, the economics of UFC would have to change to get Mayweather to participate. UFC fighters make a fraction of top boxers. As part of the family business, Mayweather, his dad and his uncle handle all aspects of his career. For the de la Hoya fight he'll earn millions.
"Why would I go into a sport paying hundreds of thousands when I'm in a sport paying $20 million?" Mayweather said.
Mayweather knows full well, though, that the pay per view money is there for the taking on something like this, a battle that would be intriguing at nearly every level. White would just about kill for this to go down, preferably with Mayweather involved as a fighter.
"I'm willing to put together a fight for Sean Sherk and Floyd Mayweather with numbers that would make sense for Floyd," White said. "And I guarantee you he would not accept it. Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off."
Yes, he would. But only if Sherk didn't get his head ripped off first.

Mate, just quit. You don't know s**t about the sport, therefore the points you argue aren't worth the time it takes to read them. I love how you conveniently ignore arguments as well and go straight to a post of money ****ing mayweather as if he doesn't constantly talk complete s**t.

I'll ask one of the questions you ignored from another poster: What would a boxer do to a top-wrestler?. The boxer doesn't train take down defence, he will be on the ground within 20 seconds. Then what? what will he be able to do off his back to reverse his fortunes?. The greatness of boxing comes from the refinement of the stand-up. MMA striking will never be anything close to boxing, but that's simply because the boxer doesn't have to spend his time learning multiple arts.

Here's a classic video for a few laughs and to kind of prove a point:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zI2N2hivnAs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zI2N2hivnAs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

oh, and how about a rebuttle to the fact that your knowledge of MMA is so embarrassingly low (considering you love bashing it) that you didn't even realise that MMA is home to some of the absolute best wrestlers in the world? Please man up and answer some of these questions or just go away and forever live in ignorance. Maybe you can get the Today Tonight crew to rally behind for that next UFC that you want banned...

It'd be foolish to suggest there's no boxers out there who couldn't succeed in MMA if they truly dedicated themselves to the sport. There's been world-class wrestlers, BJJers, kickboxers and judokas who have competed and succeeded at a top level in MMA.

Of course, for every kickboxing success like Cro Cop in MMA there's several flops like Stefan Leko. For a BJJ ace like Maia or Jacare there's someone like Vinny Magalhaes who can't strike or take a punch.

There's never been a high-level boxer try and move into MMA because, unlike in the grappling martial arts, there's huge money to be made as a world champion boxer. A crossover will happen sooner rather than later though. Ricardo Mayorga's making his MMA debut against Din Thomas in May, he'd be right up there as the best boxer to try his hand at MMA.

Maybe you can get the Today Tonight crew to rally behind for that next UFC that you want banned...

Surprised I haven't seen an MMA piece from the geniuses at Today Tonight yet. The level of ignorance most people have with MMA is absolutely staggering. Same s**t, different country, right now as far as I'm concerned though. Some of us here in the Combat Sports forum would have been following MMA for a long time now and would be pretty familiar with the education process the UFC has gone through in America. The ones with their heads in the sand about MMA should continue to enjoy their "dignified" boxing with all the brain damage and deaths that come along with it though.

I'll ask one of the questions you ignored from another poster: What would a boxer do to a top-wrestler?. The boxer doesn't train take down defence, he will be on the ground within 20 seconds. Then what?

I did answer this. I said a decent boxer wouldn't give the wrestler a chance to get him down. Unless of course the wrestler fell on him while falling on to the canvas unconcious.

Don't get me wrong guys, I could write a thesis on what's wrong with boxing and ways to improve it. The majority of it these days is anything but dignified. It's corrupt on so many levels and many many fights should never have gone ahead which could have saved quite a few lives.

In fact in an ideal world maybe banning both boxing (or let them box only with head guards) and MMA wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Anything that stops promoting violence in an unfortunately already violent society. That's my last word. I probably should not have come on here, don't like kicking other people's interests but seeing it on TV, online, it just doesn't look right in my eyes.

Good luck following your 'sport'

Dana has said in the past that trying to sell MMA to virtually anyone over 40 is futile they are set in their ways and that's it. I'm guessing you're an older person tgbb your opinion isn't an isolated one and we'll come across all sorts of s**t slinging from ignorant people like you along the way...but it won't stop the growth of mma. Ignorant people with an opinion are dime a dozen, the UFC has never needed or had any help from mainstream media and mainstream media will not be able to stop the UFC. This isn't like soccer, the afl and all their simpleton media infantry can bash mma till the cows come home and it will just feed the beast. And if they ignore it, it'll just keep growing too. It's not everyone's cup of tea but neither is heavy metal...and people used to call that the devil's music once a long time ago.

I did answer this. I said a decent boxer wouldn't give the wrestler a chance to get him down. Unless of course the wrestler fell on him while falling on to the canvas unconcious.

Ha ha i missed this one could you be any more ignorant mate? These are world class athletes I'm not saying a wrestler could out box a boxer but if you think a great MMA fighter couldn't get anywhere near a boxer or be able to take him down (and then ground and pound this turtle into oblivion) then you'd be in for a bloody big shock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back