News Noble confirmed as North HC

Remove this Banner Ad

..and if Caro is to be believed, he will have to contend with Glen Archer as well. She said on FC that Archer was a major voice at North etc...
What has Ben Buckley been drinking ? What he said sounded like an ultimatum. It wouldn't make me feel warm and fuzzy if I was Noble.

Club Presidents really do come out with some dumb sh** don't they. This interview will be forever regurgitated now as they try to rebuild.

Charging Noble with rectifying all the mistakes that they have made in super quick time.

Was Just answering the post about being a troll, if he's organised rosters so be it maybe just stick to that then, as his posting is embarrassing.

Free speech is a commodity of a Democracy IIRC.....agree or not he is entitled to his opinion.

He and I have had our disagreements but there are things also we have both posted that the other agrees with.

I think some of the posters objecting to his posts have been personal attacks rather than pointing out where those posters think he is wrong etc..

Just ignore if you disagree with his posts..

There are two different approaches to goal setting in sport (and life in general):

1. Process goals that the individual/team can control and are based on how to achieve that goal. eg If you want to run a 5k PB in a particular race you set up process goals such as setting an achievable and ambitious training schedule, not missing a single session, always bringing your best to training sessions, eating a specified diet to support improved performance, completing all physio/gym/massage sessions, getting sufficient sleep, developing race tactics. If you do all these things and run your race you have a chance of a PB.
In AFL, a process goal is to develop a set kick routine and apply it at every set shot.

2. Outcome goals. I will win the 5K race, I will always convert a set shot. These don't work - you can run a PB so you meet your process gaol, but someone else can still beat your outcome goal. You can stick to your routine and meet your process goal, but still miss the outcome goal of scoring due to fatigue level/injury in game/wind/rain/position on field.

In the Fagan/Noble era we have clearly employed process goals and not outcome goals. We've all heard the players talk about developing their kicking routines as they are the way to improving conversion rates.

I find it very odd that Noble has accepted a position with a clear outcome goal. Even if he gets everything set up perfectly the outcome can be wiped out by injury, other teams having better talent, loss of key players to family/health/outside club issues and even (though I hate to say it) a single umpire decision.

Hope it doesn't destroy him like it has other coaches.

Leppa spent 3 years turning over our list. Fagan continued for another two really. Even then we have probably outperformed expectation. I don’t see the Roos having the same spine and list profile that we had to make a claim that they’ll be regular top 4 contenders in 2 years.

I don’t mind the executive/board setting a vision for fans but putting these types of timeframes out there does no one any good. It handicaps you at the start of the race to an expectation. Now, if Noble somehow manages to get them to top 4 in two years he will have simply met that expectation. Anything less and he has missed.

My hope is that what what Buckley said and what he meant are two different things. Hopefully what he meant is that in 2-3 years they will have the list to see them compete in the top 4 consistently, eg in year 5.

The noises coming from North are already worrying. Not giving the coach a fixed contract and setting unrealistic KPI's and expectations. Has all the hallmarks of a delusional hierarchy refusing to accept the reality of the true state of their club and list.

The noises coming from North are already worrying. Not giving the coach a fixed contract and setting unrealistic KPI's and expectations. Has all the hallmarks of a delusional hierarchy refusing to accept the reality of the true state of their club and list.
Maybe fortunate for Noble that he has Roos in the background who can provide some unemotional input when required.

Free speech is a commodity of a Democracy IIRC.....agree or not he is entitled to his opinion.

He and I have had our disagreements but there are things also we have both posted that the other agrees with.

I think some of the posters objecting to his posts have been personal attacks rather than pointing out where those posters think he is wrong etc..

Just ignore if you disagree with his posts..
Why ignore his posts thought you said freedom of speech, I'll reply as it's my right like everyone else's like you say. If I disagree I'm going to say so.

I quite enjoy reading Dylan's posts and I think he's sincere in what he posts at the time.

People need to loosen up and just take it as the extreme end of a range of views . No matter whether completely misguided there's always food for thought there.

We all have different emotional reactions to our support for a footy club. Some people see problems in everything ,others see nothing but blue sky.

It's only a blog with opinions and banter. He seems to take criticism reasonably well, even if it doesn't change his opinion.
I'm all for different opinions, that's what the forums for, but I have the right to say I don't like the way he talks about the club I've followed for 45yrs Fitz/briz and member for 30yrs. We all have a whinge about something but most of us say positive stuff when warranted, and for those that are always negative I'll speak up simple as that.

I'm all for different opinions, that's what the forums for, but I have the right to say I don't like the way he talks about the club I've followed for 45yrs Fitz/briz and member for 30yrs. We all have a whinge about something but most of us say positive stuff when warranted, and for those that are always negative I'll speak up simple as that.
That's cool isn't it.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with that ,as he shouldn't

Sounds like Paul Roos was the one who convinced him to apply for the gig according to the AFL article posted today.

Wasn't around to see Roosy play for Fitzroy, but in my lifetime, anything involving him and the Lions seems to result in s**t for us. I can't recall him saying anything positive about the Lions or Fitzroy either (other than his admiration for Fitzroy players who played without knowing if they'd be paid).

Disappointed to see Noble go. While we have the systems in place to ensure we don't rely on any one individual (thanks largely to his contribution), his loss cannot be overstated. A quality operator and leader, I hope we can get someone at least half as good as him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why ignore his posts thought you said freedom of speech, I'll reply as it's my right like everyone else's like you say. If I disagree I'm going to say so.

Fair enough. Be nice about it though. It is a forum where opinions for and against are/should be allowed, but this one is not Facebook.

For the most part we try to be nice to each other. We are all Lions, lets stay that way..

..and Dylan is a Lion too, like it or not, so imo he is welcome to give his opinion just like you are.

It's worth remembering that maybe the most pivotal element of our turnaround was having complete alignment and unity across each level of the club - the CEO, the GM of footy, the senior coach, and the board. From the moment Fages & Nobes both got here, it was an entirely new vision with everybody on the same page.

Today's comments by Buckley might've just been a poor choice of words, but it does suggest from the very outset that there may not be the same sort of unified approach across all levels as we had here.

Lovely to see Noble say so really nice things about the club and Fages from about 2:40 in his presser:

At 3.10
‘ . from the initial time I spoke to him (rages) when norths first touched base ‘

Supports his initial statements that he wasn’t going anywhere, and then he was specifically targeted.

Reading what ben buckley said in the press conference reminded me of angus johnson's ambitious expectations for us a few years ago.

Haven't seen a hell of lot of north Melbourne games but i can't see them cracking finals in the next 3 years yet alone top 4. Happy for them if I'm wrong

Reading what ben buckley said in the press conference reminded me of angus johnson's ambitious expectations for us a few years ago.

Haven't seen a hell of lot of north Melbourne games but i can't see them cracking finals in the next 3 years yet alone top 4. Happy for them if I'm wrong

At least Ben Buckley might actually employ Roos, rather than just getting the runaround / lip service from him.

Anything can happen in footy I guess, but finals in three years would be an astounding accomplishment let alone being a top 4 contender.

What the Lions accomplished from 2017 to 2020 is a very rare feat.

In my opinion a bit of a perfect storm of right staff, right management, right leadership and the right players at the right time. Wouldn't have the foggiest if the Kangas are in a similar position. It sure as hell won't just come down to one appointment of Noble.

I think Noble was a great part of the Lions team, did a fantastic job & thanks very much for that service.

Now he has left to go to another club, there are zero warm fuzzies for his future, I wish him absolutely zero success.

Noble left us right in the middle of our premiership window. I understand the need to challenge yourself and an opportunity like this might have been hard to pass, but the last thing the club needed was to lose its vital cog when we needed him the most. I'm not sure he will even return to the club again, tbh. What are they going to do. Hire a replacement only to tell him. Oh, we might only want you for two years? It isn't happening and this is probably the last we will see him in our club. On the brightside, we'll likely keep swanny now (unelss he decides to go to the Broncos). If he does that, then we're in big trouble.

On another note, noble could have done way better than north. That rabble of a club will fold by the end of the decade, unless they are relocated to Tasmania. I would feel sorry for that state if that happened.

I hate to be a little cynical but every time I see all the heavyweights of a club lined up for a new coach's presser and the way they all present themselves and the compliments , commitment and ambitions they fling around reminds me of the Rodriguez song ' It started out so nice '.

Noble is a great choice however because he seems like a people person vastly experienced in all the aspects of footy that impact on a club's performance.

The best of luck to them. Except when they play us.

I hate to be a little cynical but every time I see all the heavyweights of a club lined up for a new coach's presser and the way they all present themselves and the compliments , commitment and ambitions they fling around reminds me of the Rodriguez song ' It started out so nice '.

Noble is a great choice however because he seems like a people person vastly experienced in all the aspects of footy that impact on a club's performance.

The best of luck to them. Except when they play us.

Good song.

noble signed off on that.... he's fine with it. Trust me... this isn't some sort of new expectation they've suddenly dropped. Noble would be privy to all of this before he signed. He's a savvy operator.

Sounds like Paul Roos was the one who convinced him to apply for the gig according to the AFL article posted today.

Wasn't around to see Roosy play for Fitzroy, but in my lifetime, anything involving him and the Lions seems to result in sh*t for us. I can't recall him saying anything positive about the Lions or Fitzroy either (other than his admiration for Fitzroy players who played without knowing if they'd be paid).

Disappointed to see Noble go. While we have the systems in place to ensure we don't rely on any one individual (thanks largely to his contribution), his loss cannot be overstated. A quality operator and leader, I hope we can get someone at least half as good as him.

Wasn't around to see Roosy play for Fitzroy, but in my lifetime, anything involving him and the Lions seems to result in sh*t for us. I can't recall him saying anything positive about the Lions or Fitzroy either (other than his admiration for Fitzroy players who played without knowing if they'd be paid).

Sadly I agree with your comment about Paul Roos. Great player, extremely well paid (acknowledging sometimes late), understand he is making professional decisions re Noble. Don’t understand why he often feels the need to make negative comments about Fitzroy.
Hopefully we can find a great replacement for Noble and continue to move forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back