Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he just claimed to speak for him :drunk:

Joshua belongs to the Islamic faith as well. Nobody worships him.

He's not a founder of either faith though. If he were the founder of Christianity it would be a different world.
Funnily enough he only surmised that he talked to the Jewish arch angel Gibril or Gabriel,who told the great prophet that the Jews were lower than dogs and swine.
Joshua was hitler.

Huh?

We're talking God's kid here & not Donald Trump's.

I'm talking about Muhammad. He claimed to speak for God, and often to his immediate favour. I suppose that's a bit Trumpesque.

No s**t. Why do you think I added the last sentence?

To draw some sort of false equivalence, no doubt. Trump again.

So Moses and the ten commandments are irrelvant too?

Joshua isn't irrelevant, but he's not the central figure of Christianity or Islam. Same with Moses.

Besides, Jesus didn't "found" anything. If it was up to him we'd know nothing about him. Apparently not blessed with the skill of writing.

He started the religion even though he didn't necessarily mention anything about doing so or write about it. I'm glad we live in a world where Jesus is the founder of Christianity rather than someone like Muhammad. It's a much better message for over 2 billion people.

America is not a Christian Nation,it’s founders and the authors of their Constitution and Declaration of Independence were all secular atheists,but you keep believing that “one nation under god” lie!

Say what?

Most, if not all of the early settlers to the U.S, comprised evangelical congregations & sects, seeking both a fresh start & an escape from persecution for their protestant beliefs....Hence the significance & focus upon the notions of freedom & tolerance.

The Founding Fathers were comprised of mostly Deists, who believed in God, but not the Supernatural interventionist aspects of Christian belief....Ideas that were especially prevalent at the time in the works of Boyle, Locke & Newton.

The Declaration is pure John Locke.

Would you like to try again?

It's interpretation. You choose to interpret simple ancient stories in a way you choose to interpret them.

And I see that now the Old Testament is important? I wish you'd make up your mind. One minute it's important, the next it isn't.

I didn't choose to how to interpret any part of the bible , I gave you meaning of fig tree story. Its totally stupid to think that people in the middle east that lived 2000 years ago and spoke in a language that no longer exists today would communicate they way we would today . That's why we have historians who can study social norms and the environment in which Jesus lived in who can easily work out what he meant . The fig tree is an easy one .

I didn't say the OT was not important , I said it was superseded by the NT . The OT sets the scene for the NT .

I dig poetry,I like prose,song lyrics etc.,but if you’re the son of god and trying to teach us,why the **** not just speak the truth and dribble bullshit about leaves and trees and fruit and burning bushes and just say “hey dickheads,there are these microscopic beings that outnumber us by trilllions to one,so wash your ******* hands and keep your hygiene in order or we will all get sick and ******* die”
No no no,he reckons we could consume arsenic and all would be fine,didn’t believe in washing our hands after taking a dump,cause our love for him was enough to dismiss bacteria and poison.
Cool Aiders
Stoopid prophet is stupid

Would you explain something to a 3 year old the same way you would to a 30 year old ?

Parables were a very common way to explain things in Jesus time, if he were alive today he would obviously explain things very differently .

Say what?

Most, if not all of the early settlers to the U.S, comprised evangelical congregations & sects, seeking both a fresh start & an escape from persecution for their protestant beliefs....Hence the significance & focus upon the notions of freedom & tolerance.

The Founding Fathers were comprised of mostly Deists, who believed in God, but not the Supernatural interventionist aspects of Christian belief....Ideas that were especially prevalent at the time in the works of Boyle, Locke & Newton.

The Declaration is pure John Locke.

Would you like to try again?
Nonsense

Would you explain something to a 3 year old the same way you would to a 30 year old ?

Parables were a very common way to explain things in Jesus time, if he were alive today he would obviously explain things very differently .
If jesus we’re alive today he’d either strap a bomb to himself or get the s**t beaten out of him by right wing conservative Christians.

See its stuff like this second line that is deliberately provocative and divisive. While the prior poster may have a different interpretation of this particular Bible story it does not mean he has no understanding of the bible "absolutely none"

Mate sorry but if you don't know that bible frequently explains things in parables often featuring animals, crops and trees to do so than you don't have a good understanding of the bible.

The culture and environment that Jesus lived in has been studied to death, we have a very clear picture about what his message is so it really isn't up for interpretation because we know .

If jesus we’re alive today he’d either strap a bomb to himself or get the s**t beaten out of him by right wing conservative Christians.

The odd thing is that Jesus actually was far more popular when he was alive with progressive people when he was alive rather than conservatives . If you read the gospels you will notice he gets into more and more trouble as they go on, this is because he starts of in very progressive towns and than moves into more conservative areas .

Well he at least doesn't claim to be a god (or part god)

I can respect that.

But in terms of war criminals none hold a candle to Joshua. He not only killed every man, women and child, he killed their livestock and salted the ground so nobody could survive. The ancient equivalent of a nuclear attack.

Muslims are as screwed up in the people they worship as Christians are.

Jesus never killed anyone and told his followers to love their enemies and turn the other cheek . It was a very different story with Muhamad .

Mate sorry but if you don't know that bible frequently explains things in parables often featuring animals, crops and trees to do so than you don't have a good understanding of the bible.

The culture and environment that Jesus lived in has been studied to death, we have a very clear picture about what his message is so it really isn't up for interpretation because we know .
There is a difference between saying not a good understanding and no understanding. This was and still is my point.

And we don't "know" we are partly using interpretation made by various theologians OR interpretation oneself which IMO is better

And we don't "know" we are partly using interpretation made by various theologians OR interpretation oneself which IMO is better

Do you really think a good theologian can not interpret the bible better than someone who has most likely just read a few passages ? true we cant be 100% certain but that's the same with nearly everything in life and we can reach a number of conclusions with a degree of confidence .

Also keep in mind that studying the bible is not exactly like studying Shakespeare in high school , there is a true meaning that we want to get too in the bible as its intended to be guide for how to live our lives .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The odd thing is that Jesus actually was far more popular when he was alive with progressive people when he was alive rather than conservatives . If you read the gospels you will notice he gets into more and more trouble as they go on, this is because he starts of in very progressive towns and than moves into more conservative areas .
Lucky we have the gospels,outside of which there is no historical evidence for the existence of the nazarene whom was “supposedly” born in Bethlehem,to make certain he followed the correct bloodline.

Anyhoo,don’t follow old fables,smoke ice,be violent or drive cars into innocent people and we can all get along just fine.
Merry christmyth!
I have kids to put to bed,presents to wrap and a missus to slap(nicely of course,within reason,if she’s been a bad little girl) and food to prepare!
Have a good day with your families guys and gals.xox.

Do you really think a good theologian can not interpret the bible better than someone who has most likely just read a few passages ? true we cant be 100% certain but that's the same with nearly everything in life and we can reach a number of conclusions with a degree of confidence .

Also keep in mind that studying the bible is not exactly like studying Shakespeare in high school , there is a true meaning that we want to get too in the bible as its intended to be guide for how to live our lives .
I wouldn't trust the possible agenda a theologian would have, just like I don't trust organised religion.

I wouldn't trust the possible agenda a theologian would have, just like I don't trust organised religion.

When someone with a good understanding of the bible explains it to you it becomes very clear what's going on, its not a mystery at all as the answers right in front of you . You could say the author is lying but the message they are trying to get across is crystal clear .

When someone with a good understanding of the bible explains it to you it becomes very clear what's going on, its not a mystery at all as the answers right in front of you . You could say the author is lying but the message they are trying to get across is crystal clear .

Read this through a couple of times and I'm still not sure of what angle you're coming from.

Someone of a 'good understanding' of the bible can be of polar opposites. You know that don't you?

Interestingly, I knew a practicing theologian and she openly told me that she knows that the average IQ of those that didn't subscribe to a religion were significantly higher than for those that did.

She immediately lost her strength in the argument, but gained my respect for being honest.

Interestingly, I knew a practicing theologian and she openly told me that she knows that the average IQ of those that didn't subscribe to a religion were significantly higher than for those that did.

She immediately lost her strength in the argument, but gained my respect for being honest.

There’s also seems to be link to atheism and autism.

The significant factor between those that believe they speak to god or are prophets,are schizophrenia,delusions of grandeur or epilepsy,regardless of the the timeframe they appear in history.

Nonsense all zionist propaganda and you are quoting the US MSM. Brainwashed by the CIA and the establishment aren't you? show me a link from RT and veternstoday then i will believe. Alternatively you can quote Alex Jones or Jimmy Dorr too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back