Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I really enjoyed the getting away from the outside world and noble silence aspects of the retreat, the whole purpose of this is to remove as much distraction as possible and I did get some good results from the long periods of self observation/meditation.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Spooky Snake, I've literally just purchased a 2 visit trial float tank pass where I take Yoga classes.

I checked them out before I went away on the Vipassana expecting them to be pods but they are actually mini pools around 7 foot long and 3 feet wide in a dark room.

I was talking to my son yesterday about my experience and was half seriously joking with him that it seems like a hell of a lot of hard work to achieve this full liberation/enlightenment/self realization thing and that maybe I should just go the express method and give DMT another try or some Psilocybin.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Spooky Snake, I've literally just purchased a 2 visit trial float tank pass where I take Yoga classes.

I checked them out before I went away on the Vipassana expecting them to be pods but they are actually mini pools around 7 foot long and 3 feet wide in a dark room.

It will save you a lot of money & time. I am not in to the woo woo aspects, but I do acknowledge the benefits of meditation.

I was talking to my son yesterday about my experience and was half seriously joking with him that it seems like a hell of a lot of hard work to achieve this full liberation/enlightenment/self realization thing and that maybe...........I should just go the express method and give DMT another try or some Psilocybin.

Yeah, I would think about that a lot more before jumping in head first. There is no ultimate spiritual destination. I have taken large doses of psilocybin and the most "enlightening" outcome was coming to terms with my death and the corresponding annihilation of my ego. It's a massive psychological jolt, so be prepared to wake up the next day a different person. It's not for everyone, and once you strap yourself in to that rollercoaster, you cannot get off..

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal

I was talking to my son yesterday about my experience and was half seriously joking with him that it seems like a hell of a lot of hard work to achieve this full liberation/enlightenment/self realization thing and that maybe I should just go the express method and give DMT another try or some Psilocybin.

There are no short cuts to this.Enlightenment is a loaded word. Don't worry about the result, keep practicing. Only you can prove it to yourself, no one else can.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...cultivating-spiritual-exercises/#11db93775f30

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
There was so much mentioned that I was not expecting, ie. vibrations, hydrogen, action and reaction, the big bang (although they say the universe is eternal), Buddhism has been corrupted over the centuries and been co opted into religious dogma. Vipassana/Buddhism in its purest form and put as succinctly as I can is merely self observation of your bodily processes down to a micro level.

You mentioned vibrations, have a read here

https://theconversation.com/could-consciousness-all-come-down-to-the-way-things-vibrate-103070

DMT does not produce the same experience as meditation, the experience you have during NDE can be replicated through meditation, which goes to show NDE is not just a fluke accident of the brain easing you into death. I pm'ed you the article a few weeks ago i think :)

You can alter the state of your consciousness in many ways, however, drugs are not recommended for this.

again, only you can prove it to yourself, cause i can't meditate for you.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1549942380779.png

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Christmas is just a mass for Christ. Go to mass to celebrate the birth of Christ. Not sure how that is based on any other pagan festivals.
Only Pagans celebrated birthdays . Simple . Only 2 birthdays mentioned in the bible were an Egyptian King . Someone lost there head then and
Also King Herod , John the baptiser lost his head as well . Birthdays have pagan origins . Jesus never ever celebrated his birthday , the only celebration he commissioned was to commemorate his death .
Plus he wasnt born in december , he was born in September .

Last edited:

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Only Pagans celebrated birthdays . Simple . Only 2 birthdays mentioned in the bible were an Egyptian King . Someone lost there head then and
Also King Herod , John the baptiser lost his head as well . Birthdays have pagan origins . Jesus never ever celebrated his birthday , the only celebration he commissioned was to commemorate his death .
Plus he wasnt born in december , he was born in September .

Jesus’s birth gets a fair run in the Bible though. I’m thinking there was probably a time in human history when no one had birthday parties.
Christmas is also about the second coming as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Question for the meditation gurus.

I did a course on mindfulness years ago, and practiced a lot with psychologists, then stopped for a few years (laziness, lack of discipline). I got back into meditating 4 weeks ago, after reading a study that suggested the amygdala in the brain can physically shrink after just 8 weeks of daily meditation, possibly leaving one with less capacity for anxiety.

I felt like I was a complete rookie starting over, but am feeling better about it all now halfway to my initial goal of 8 weeks (I hope to continue indefinitely after that). About 75% of my meditations have been guided, mostly by the Headspace or Smiling Mind apps.

Questions: is there are problem with most medications being guided, particularly when starting out? Any pointers for good resources in this regard?

Are there specific styles outside of mindfulness that I should be engaged in? My goals are mostly related to improving mental illness and wellbeing, rather than it being a spiritual thing per se.

Finally, how long did it take you to reach certain "milestones", ie obtaining new notable benefits/improvements to your lyfe? I already have felt a change for the better, but I assume that this will continue happening in different ways as I continue through the months.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shares tips.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Question for the meditation gurus.

I did a course on mindfulness years ago, and practiced a lot with psychologists, then stopped for a few years (laziness, lack of discipline). I got back into meditating 4 weeks ago, after reading a study that suggested the amygdala in the brain can physically shrink after just 8 weeks of daily meditation, possibly leaving one with less capacity for anxiety.

I felt like I was a complete rookie starting over, but am feeling better about it all now halfway to my initial goal of 8 weeks (I hope to continue indefinitely after that). About 75% of my meditations have been guided, mostly by the Headspace or Smiling Mind apps.

Questions: is there are problem with most medications being guided, particularly when starting out? Any pointers for good resources in this regard?

Are there specific styles outside of mindfulness that I should be engaged in? My goals are mostly related to improving mental illness and wellbeing, rather than it being a spiritual thing per se.

Finally, how long did it take you to reach certain "milestones", ie obtaining new notable benefits/improvements to your lyfe? I already have felt a change for the better, but I assume that this will continue happening in different ways as I continue through the months.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shares tips.
I meditate on does God care about us ?
I meditate daily about creation how every living thing has so much intelligent design , giving honour where it is due , i meditated on an article about how infants do better if they are held and comforted in the 1st moments of life . The mother once she has given birth has hormones released in her body , oxytocin being one of them , the mother then needs the baby in her arms and breastfeeding releases more oxytocin. Its like the mum is drugged to take care of her baby . This in turn tells me Jehovah ( yes this is his name and it is important , mentioned over 6000 times in the bible , but thats another meditation topic ) cares about us . I am super super happy because I know the truth and meditate on good things every day .

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have a similar question to FireKraquora, my partner has been struggling with anxiety for a few months now, she is booked in with a psychiatrist Monday actually but does anyone have any recommendations on where she could start meditation wise? She does a bit of yoga and has some free trial of a rather expensive meditation app but I was more thinking of a book I could get her to get the ball rolling. I know nothing about meditation or spirituality so this could be a completely ignorant question, just thought it was worth asking. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I have a similar question to FireKraquora, my partner has been struggling with anxiety for a few months now, she is booked in with a psychiatrist Monday actually but does anyone have any recommendations on where she could start meditation wise? She does a bit of yoga and has some free trial of a rather expensive meditation app but I was more thinking of a book I could get her to get the ball rolling. I know nothing about meditation or spirituality so this could be a completely ignorant question, just thought it was worth asking. Thanks.

Your partner should look no further than their psychiatrist for such advice.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

There's so much info out there. It can be a bit overwhelming.

For stress and anxiety, there is a really simple and easy(and free) technique that anyone can use, at any time. It's a form of meditation.

Mindful breathing - putting the attention on breathing and the breath. It sounds so simple and it is, but it can be very beneficial. Just focus on the breath for the inhale and then the exhale.

When we get stressed and consumed by swirling thoughts and anxiety, we tend to breathe shallow and faster. Focusing on the breath can help to calm the mind and give it a bit of a break.

Start with allocating a small amount of time. Can lay down, or sit. Thoughts will still pop up but it's just a case of reverting the attention back to the breath. And then throughout the day, if feeling stressed or overwhelmed just dedicate the attention on breathing for a few minutes.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Except I didn't make the thread.
Fair enough. Although you still did post this:

"From time to time I look at the numbers of responses and peek inside assuming that there must be something interesting/revelatory going on.

But there never is."

I agree with your original post. We should just stop posting so this thread falls off the front page.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I agree with your original post. We should just stop posting so this thread falls off the front page.

Apologies, but a heavy responsibility has been placed upon me by the BF gods to seek out and expose charlatans wherever I find them.

It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

Back