Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Well need you man on the ground for starters. It all stems from actual people who followed a man called Jesus. It’s not from people just sitting around smoking pipes. “
The Holy Spirit for some people is much more that just an idea .. it’s a tangible presence.

Irenaeus
“For the Church, although dispersed throughout the whole world even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and from their disciples the faith in one God, the Father Almighty . . . and in one Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who became flesh for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit” (Against Heresies 1:10:1 [A.D. 189]).

Etc etc etc

Your not going to have much luck finding holes in the Trinity.. it’s had 1500 years of brightest and the best nutting it out.
( I think it all boils down to infinite love between the three)
Irenaeus or Erroneous?

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Most cosmologists agree that the universe began with a big bang 13.7 billion years ago. Stephen Hawking proposed that the Big Bang created an equal amount of positive and negative energy. And it could all have come from a result of quantum mechanics where energy can randomly appear from nothing. He argues that there’s no need for a creator to explain how the universe came into existence because if there was no time before the Big Bang there was no time for a cause to exist in.

But Hawking also proposed that eventually the amount of matter in the universe will slow down its expansion and lead to a Big Crunch. So he was kind of having his cake and eating it that the universe could have a spontaneous beginning but also cycle through creation and destruction.

Those arguing that the universe has always existed need to explain why there is something rather than nothing.
My argument is that all we know of (the known universe) has likely existed in some form forever. That's an opinion based on limited knowledge rather than an absolute statement, so I don't feel any need to justify it.

Introducing the hypothesis of a creator with far greater complexity than anything existing in the material world creates more problems than it solves. Who created the creator is a valid question that even children will ask. The arguments made by creationists are self-contradictory.

If there is no scientific means of testing for or falsifying the god hypothesis, there is no accurate method for people to guage whether god exists. In that case, the null hypothesis (atheism) is the only valid conclusion.

I prefer to think of the world in the form of what we know and what we don't know. I see no reason to conclude that anything we don't know leads to god.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
My argument is that all we know of (the known universe) has likely existed in some form forever. That's an opinion based on limited knowledge rather than an absolute statement, so I don't feel any need to justify it.

Introducing the hypothesis of a creator with far greater complexity than anything existing in the material world creates more problems than it solves. Who created the creator is a valid question that even children will ask. The arguments made by creationists are self-contradictory.

If there is no scientific means of testing for or falsifying the god hypothesis, there is no accurate method for people to guage whether god exists. In that case, the null hypothesis (atheism) is the only valid conclusion.

I prefer to think of the world in the form of what we know and what we don't know. I see no reason to conclude that anything we don't know leads to god.

See my recent posts. What is the distance future of life in the universe? We have progressed massively in technology in the last 100 years. But what will we achieve in 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, 1 million years? These are pinpricks in time. Will intelligent life, from humans or otherwise, be so powerful that if we met them now we might term them God? Could they influence the universe on a massive scale?

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
This whole story is likely one big psychedelic trip.

https://www.livescience.com/42077-8-ways-mushrooms-explain-santa.html

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...oAhUHOSsKHdaNBSgQ7Al6BAgKEDg&biw=1280&bih=610

According to the theory, the legend of Santa derives from shamans in the Siberian and Arctic regions who dropped into locals' teepeelike homes with a bag full of hallucinogenic mushrooms as presents in late December, Rush said.

"As the story goes, up until a few hundred years ago, these practicing shamans or priests connected to the older traditions would collect Amanita muscaria (the Holy Mushroom), dry them and then give them as gifts on the winter solstice," Rush told LiveScience in an email. "Because snow is usually blocking doors, there was an opening in the roof through which people entered and exited, thus the chimney story."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.samwoolfe.com/2013/04/the-sacred-mushroom-and-cross-by-john.html

The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross (1970) is a book by the British archaeologist John Marco Allegro. His early career focused on studying the earliest manuscripts of the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls. With this book, however, many say that it ruined his career, although others say it gave him the fame that he deserved.

The basic idea behind the book is that primitive religions were based on fertility rites (rituals that recreate the reproductive processes of nature either symbolically or through sex). Allegro believed that fertility cults like this used the hallucinogenic mushroom, Amanita muscaria (or fly agaric – the red mushroom with white spots). He also said that these mushrooms are at the root of many religions, including early Christianity. Christianity was essentially the product of a sex-and-mushroom cult, and the mushroom was seen as the gateway to understanding God. Through this understanding, it was believed that fertility would also be promoted.

Allegro draws on some interesting evidence to support his hypothesis. He argues that the fresco in the 13th century chapel of Plaincourault in France clearly shows Adam and Eve next to a tree made of large Amanita muscaria mushrooms. The serpent can be seen coiling around the tree. It seems strange that this mushroom would be depicted in arguably the most famous story in the Bible.

1583443136529.png

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
See my recent posts. What is the distance future of life in the universe? We have progressed massively in technology in the last 100 years. But what will we achieve in 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, 1 million years? These are pinpricks in time. Will intelligent life, from humans or otherwise, be so powerful that if we met them now we might term them God? Could they influence the universe on a massive scale?

As technology evolves the human devolves .. as my never to be written thesis argues. We will all become like pea brain koalas sucking on digital thought and technology.

Forest Bomber

Senior List
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest Atlanta Falcons
I have always found there are seems to be only two sides of this argument but I am the grey area in between. Now I know atheists may claim you can only be one or the other, they will say an atheist doesn't necessarily disbelieve in an afterlife they just don't believe in an all creating god....I though have never met an atheist that believes in an afterlife....so this is how I define atheism.

I am someone that claims that I have travelled into the afterlife I think getting close to 200 out of body experiences, so I feel that I sit in this grey area between both sides of the argument. I did though spend most my life as an atheist believing 'religiously' in science, lol at religiously, but I always included something that most atheists don't and that is personal experience. So if someone argues something, it would be where is the proof to the claim or having my own personal experience to this claim. What are atheists so scared of by not including own personal experience to proof!!

Everything in this physical existence has come from spirit, including inventions, knowledge and yes human form. When you die you will go back to spirit body, your spirit body exists in human form. Think of when you dream, when you wake you snap back into this reality back into your body. When you die from this reality it will be like a dream and you will snap back to the spirit body back to who you were before you entered this existence. You physical brain blocks all this memory and it isn't until your physical brain dissolves away that you regain your real memory

Most biblical religious folk have been fooled by the bible and don't know the true definition of God. There is one quote that clearly highlights this, that Jesus will return and rapture is coming. This 'return' and 'coming' is not definitive and is a hypothetical belief of something that will never arrive. Their ideological belief of their definition of God is not definitive and is a hypothetical belief of something that does not exist. They will forever be searching for something that doesn't exist.......God is the King of the Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom is domain of a King, we've had Kings throughout Earth's history do they resemble the biblical definition of God...no....God is human just not in physical form.

I have always found there are seems to be only two sides of this argument but I am the grey area in between. Now I know atheists may claim you can only be one or the other, they will say an atheist doesn't necessarily disbelieve in an afterlife they just don't believe in an all creating god....I though have never met an atheist that believes in an afterlife....so this is how I define atheism.

I am someone that claims that I have travelled into the afterlife I think getting close to 200 out of body experiences, so I feel that I sit in this grey area between both sides of the argument. I did though spend most my life as an atheist believing 'religiously' in science, lol at religiously, but I always included something that most atheists don't and that is personal experience. So if someone argues something, it would be where is the proof to the claim or having my own personal experience to this claim. What are atheists so scared of by not including own personal experience to proof!!

Everything in this physical existence has come from spirit, including inventions, knowledge and yes human form. When you die you will go back to spirit body, your spirit body exists in human form. Think of when you dream, when you wake you snap back into this reality back into your body. When you die from this reality it will be like a dream and you will snap back to the spirit body back to who you were before you entered this existence. You physical brain blocks all this memory and it isn't until your physical brain dissolves away that you regain your real memory

Most biblical religious folk have been fooled by the bible and don't know the true definition of God. There is one quote that clearly highlights this, that Jesus will return and rapture is coming. This 'return' and 'coming' is not definitive and is a hypothetical belief of something that will never arrive. Their ideological belief of their definition of God is not definitive and is a hypothetical belief of something that does not exist. They will forever be searching for something that doesn't exist.......God is the King of the Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom is domain of a King, we've had Kings throughout Earth's history do they resemble the biblical definition of God...no....God is human just not in physical form.
Well I’ve died and been brought back 300 times and there was nothing there..nada. Guy there just shrugged and said sorry each time.

Forest Bomber

Senior List
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Well I’ve died and been brought back 300 times and there was nothing there..nada. Guy there just shrugged and said sorry each time.
That was probably just you though. Have you ever played a computer game where there is you and many computer created characters that are only there while the game is playing, they are like fill ins when the game is over they disappear. There are some who do what I do believe many people who live this world are like those characters, they are fill ins. I don't believe this but then i don't know everything and this could be true. As long as your happy with going back to being nothing, because you are a fill in, whilst many others are happy to continue on then we are all happy.

That was probably just you though. Have you ever played a computer game where there is you and many computer created characters that are only there while the game is playing, they are like fill ins when the game is over they disappear. There are some who do what I do believe many people who live this world are like those characters, they are fill ins. I don't believe this but then i don't know everything and this could be true. As long as your happy with going back to being nothing, because you are a fill in, whilst many others are happy to continue on then we are all happy.
Me me me. Do you also hoard toilet paper? You have a life, hopefully live it happily for 70-80 years then you make way for others. We’re all fill ins.

Forest Bomber

Senior List
May 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Me me me. Do you also hoard toilet paper? You have a life, hopefully live it happily for 70-80 years then you make way for others. We’re all fill ins.
Why get upset, I never said it was about me me me, I actually said most people continue on and I also I said I didn't believe in a claim that some here exist as fill ins. I believe we all continue on but if you believe this is your only life and if your happy with that then who am I to argue. I do actually live a happy life part of this is because I also look forward to dying, unlike you who will spend part of your life fearing death when there is no need to.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Why get upset, I never said it was about me me me, I actually said most people continue on and I also I said I didn't believe in a claim that some here exist as fill ins. I believe we all continue on but if you believe this is your only life and if your happy with that then who am I to argue. I do actually live a happy life part of this is because I also look forward to dying, unlike you who will spend part of your life fearing death when there is no need to.
Welcome to this discussion Forest, I can't recall seeing you on this or similar threads before, always good to have different points of view.

While I abhor organised religion and can't come at a belief in a bearded man in the sky creator and consider myself an atheist/anti theist as far as that's concerned I do have an open mind regarding a "spiritual" connection to nature/the universe on a deeper level than we currently understand. We like to think of ourselves as highly intelligent but how will the human race of 100/1000 years time look back on and evaluate our supposed level of intelligence, we may be looked back on in the same way as we now look back on neanderthal man.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
As technology evolves the human devolves .. as my never to be written thesis argues. We will all become like pea brain koalas sucking on digital thought and technology.

There's a few things at play.

Humans are exploiting technology for our benefit so our capabilities increase.
Humans are increasingly dependent on technology.
Technology has come to the first ever point in human history where we can control our own evolution.
There will come a time when the capabilities of what comes about from technology surpasses humanity.

Whether we are purposeful designer or an accidental creator in the long run humans are probably just a stepping stone to a higher form of intelligence. And that might in turn be another stepping stone to a higher form.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
How do you “continue on”?
On a molecular level or a concious one?

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Welcome to this discussion Forest, I can't recall seeing you on this or similar threads before, always good to have different points of view.

While I abhor organised religion and can't come at a belief in a bearded man in the sky creator and consider myself an atheist/anti theist as far as that's concerned I do have an open mind regarding a "spiritual" connection to nature/the universe on a deeper level than we currently understand. We like to think of ourselves as highly intelligent but how will the human race of 100/1000 years time look back on and evaluate our supposed level of intelligence, we may be looked back on in the same way as we now look back on neanderthal man.

Gas and rock eventually turn into beings conscious of themselves. We’ve come a long way, with probably a long way to go.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
The water isn’t there though, it’s imaginary and can only be seen by those indoctrinated young or those that have lived a s**t life and need the fantasy world of faith to keep them ticking.
For everyone else, we simply laugh!👍

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Astral projection?

Have you evaluated your own personal experiences with a skeptical mindset?

Back