Nobody will notice...

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have a problem with this, go and listen to Xavier Ellis podcast called 'It's Time For A Beer'. Specifically, listen to his episode with Jarryd Roughead. There is a story told about the time they played together in the country before they were drafted. Ellis, without even meaning to, gives perfect context to why behaviour like this exists, and why there is absolutely nothing wrong it.
I think the issue is kids looking on. It’s a bad look in front of the cameras. Paedos use this sort of thing to normalise it with kids.

I think the issue is kids looking on. It’s a bad look in front of the cameras. Paedos use this sort of thing to normalise it with kids.

Ban the cameras, not the action. Would it be so difficult for that camera shot to be from the waists up? When the Richmond boys got done it felt like an episode of Big Brother with that camera angle. Do any supporters really want to see changeroom antics that badly? There is a demand for more access, but that doesn't need to mean 360 degree views of the players workspace off the field.

If you have a problem with this, go and listen to Xavier Ellis podcast called 'It's Time For A Beer'. Specifically, listen to his episode with Jarryd Roughead. There is a story told about the time they played together in the country before they were drafted. Ellis, without even meaning to, gives perfect context to why behaviour like this exists, and why there is absolutely nothing wrong it.
Very few people have a problem with the behaviour unless the receiving party doesn't consent. The issue is doing this on camera, because children might watch it and copy it without understanding consent.

Very few people have a problem with the behaviour unless the receiving party doesn't consent. The issue is doing this on camera, because children might watch it and copy it without understanding consent.

If the media didn't report it and replay it then it wouldn't be a problem. The coverage of it is 99% of the problem. It's not the players who should be apologising.

If the media didn't report it and replay it then it wouldn't be a problem. The coverage of it is 99% of the problem. It's not the players who should be apologising.
The media certainly have a lot to answer for, but the AFL have told players to stop doing it in public, because of the PR issues, and the players need to do as they are told. They can touch each other as much as they want in private and nobody is going to stop them.

Ban the cameras, not the action. Would it be so difficult for that camera shot to be from the waists up? When the Richmond boys got done it felt like an episode of Big Brother with that camera angle. Do any supporters really want to see changeroom antics that badly? There is a demand for more access, but that doesn't need to mean 360 degree views of the players workspace off the field.
Whaaaat? The 3Q time huddle? They have to angle the cameras just in case - just on the off chance - the players fondle each other’s genitals?

Get over it
Don't let the PC brigade soften this country any more than it is .
If you aren't already then Get down to your local club and mix it up with the players ( football / netball whatever )
They are just there for fun and bonding and it's a great atmosphere to be part of
Remember these AFL players are just young blokes barely out of their teens taking the piss out of each other .

Comparing this and the Chol incident IMO is misleading.

Petracca looked like he was having a laugh about, maybe he enjoyed it a bit - who knows, it’s his business.

However Chol didn’t look comfortable at all when it happened to him.

I only have a problem with it if the recipient doesn’t want this treatment , and Chol clearly didn’t.

Sounds like you don't think it's a big deal in any way. Are you okay with impressionable 5 year olds seeing this "regular human behaviour" then?
Wasnt directed at me but I'm OK with it. I watched plenty of footy at that age, saw plenty of Tom foolery but I never once thought "oh thats something I'm going to emulate". I engaged in bum taps in team sports, played sack tap at school and have on occasion shoved an empty beer bottle or broom handle up my best mates clacker. Not one of those things did I learn off the TV, but my mum and grandmother who would "jokingly" kick me up the anoos when I walked past them. They also taught me to respect peoples wishes.

I only have a problem with it if the recipient doesn’t want this treatment , and Chol clearly didn’t.
I won't deny he slapped hands away, but you do in those situations. Even if you are perfectly fine with it, a pop up the arse when you have your guard down will get that reaction.

I also have it on decent authority that Chol is a bit of a menace in the changerooms 😂 granted it didn't look great, but it's only for Chol to decide. No-one else.

Wasnt directed at me but I'm OK with it. I watched plenty of footy at that age, saw plenty of Tom foolery but I never once thought "oh thats something I'm going to emulate". I engaged in bum taps in team sports, played sack tap at school and have on occasion shoved an empty beer bottle or broom handle up my best mates clacker. Not one of those things did I learn off the TV, but my mum and grandmother who would "jokingly" kick me up the anoos when I walked past them. They also taught me to respect peoples wishes.
Interesting. Still, not everyone has the same experiences as you. Some parents would rather have a conversation with their kids about consent before they're introduced to such tomfoolery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Still, not everyone has the same experiences as you. Some parents would rather have a conversation with their kids about consent before they're introduced to such tomfoolery.
True and fair enough. Granted only from a PR angle, but I'd rather not see it on TV.

meh

If the person on the receiving end is not happy about it, then you have an incident. No evidence of that here.

The moral of the story is do what you feel. Maybe the other person will enjoy it, or at least not react negatively.

Last edited:
but it's only for Chol to decide. No-one else.
This is the biggest issue imo. The assumption of victimisation. People's autonomy and individuality is being stripped away.

Having said that, the boys should at least try to keep it off camera, the lynch mob is onto it now and will scrub every tape for discretions, like what happened to BB. Not worth the hassle anymore...

This is the biggest issue imo. The assumption of victimisation. People's autonomy and individuality is being stripped away.

Having said that, the boys should at least try to keep it off camera, the lynch mob is onto it now and will scrub every tape for discretions, like what happened to BB. Not worth the hassle anymore...
Agreed. That's far more worrying to me than half of the issues that cause others to place the victim tag on someone else.

This growing trend of an individual having their autonomy completely disregarded by the masses yet everyone seems happy slinging s**t at each other from either side of the fence and completely ignoring the actual human at the centre of it all.

But yeah, keep it off the telly for sure.

If the players, as adults, consent to (and participate in) such activities, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. There is nothing illegal with what they're doing, and if the networks/media take issue with it, then stop trying to catch it on camera with footage or snapshots.

This should only be an issue if a player is not consenting to this - which is why I understood the media storm that kicked up after the footage emerged of Chol clearly not enjoying being felt up. If he does not want any part of that, then it's fine, but if the teammates either side of him do, and only do it to each other, then there is nothing wrong with that.

The worst part about all of this is the BS apologies coming out of it. The players truly don't care, and anyone outside of the outraged minority can see right through the facade. They're just throwing the petty dogs a bone to get them to stop yapping about non-issues, but it ultimately lends legitimacy to the issue. I wish Richmond (player +/- club) stepped forward, apologised for the behaviour with Chol, as he clearly did not like what was happening, but then defended the actions in general, as it is accepted and consented to by the rest of the team.

PC police working overtime I see...

Some people need to get a freaking life... was it a juvenile act, yes... is it unprofessional given there's cameras around, yes. But seriously, people being outraged by it is ridiculous.

People must live pathetic lives if they ha e the time to get up in arms about something like that.

The only reason stories like this pop up, isnt because theres actual outrage but because if they claim there is, more people will get outraged at the "outrage". Pretty simple

Stop falling for it and these journalists go back into their hole
Can't we just fire them out of a cannon or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back