Movie Nocturnal Animals- SPOILERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to start... I could start by re-watching it again I think it is one of those movies you need to see twice. Anyway, my mind tends to wander when I watch films and I miss some important parts.

Even though I was overall disappointed with the second half of the film, I didnt hate it. Especially due to the amazing "edge of your seat" scene on the highway. The 3 characters were like 3 flies trapped in the spiders web- was just awesome. Yet at the same time they were "fictional" so it wasn't really happening- so bit of a mind **** in that sense.

I would also hope the second viewing of the film wouldnt include a mobile phone going off right in the final seconds. (I actually half thought Amy Adam's mobile was ringing!! Yeah it wasn't.)

No way I'd watch it again, that was exhausting. At least not for a while. I honestly felt immense dread and sadness after the film, its stayed with me.

So aside from the obvious parallels between his book and his life (losing his wife and daughter the way the characters in the book emasculated him in the same way the new boyfriend did) I loved Amy's portrayal of the disassociated poor little rich girl. The standard turning into her superficial mother etc. It's an interesting thing to consider, the idea that you should be able to protect the women in your life and how not being able to do that is one of a man biggest fears and genuinely taps into the primal instinct we should have. The men should be the violent protectors should the need call, so being a sensitive new ager is all well and good until it isn't.

Interestingly I read a review which mentioned that Amy's character suspected her husband of cheating on her before the elevator scene, I didn't get that at all.

Ending? Not sure if he committed suicide (although given the way the book paralleled his life, him accidently shooting himself would tie into suicide in real life nicely). I kind of felt like he just stood her up because he had shown her everything she took from him in his book and this was his way of doing it back, the whole "you get what you give" idea.

I love the suicide ending theory- I am going with that. He just "stands her" up is boring.

Nah I'd watch it again. The only movie I've ever come away from and never wanting to ever see it again was Irreversible. Jesus christ, no thank you. Saw it probably 5 or 6 years ago and won't watch it again- once was definitely enough.

Interestingly I read a review which mentioned that Amy's character suspected her husband of cheating on her before the elevator scene, I didn't get that at all.

Maybe the scene when he's telling her he has to go to NYC again?? There's definitely a "coldness" there, surely you would know something is going on- they have definitely drifted apart anyway and living separate lives. You'd have to be an idiot not to suspect..

I've seen a few that I wouldn't voluntarily watch again because they were too heavy. I almost always wind up doing it though.

Hmmm, I don't know, they were very obviously distant and she talks about the relationship as cold and that she is craving something more but I also thought she seemed very shocked when the bellhop dude said "21st floor ma'am" or whatever he said (btw, who the hell would do that, flog). I more got the impression that she felt as though she was the suffering wife and he should be or is happy to be with her, like she is a gift from god, was kind of a running theme for her I thought. She was supporting Jake and always was the good wife, same again with Armie (cant remember character names). I Funnily I have a "friend" like that.

I've seen a few that I wouldn't voluntarily watch again because they were too heavy. I almost always wind up doing it though.

Hmmm, I don't know, they were very obviously distant and she talks about the relationship as cold and that she is craving something more but I also thought she seemed very shocked when the bellhop dude said "21st floor ma'am" or whatever he said (btw, who the hell would do that, flog). I more got the impression that she felt as though she was the suffering wife and he should be or is happy to be with her, like she is a gift from god, was kind of a running theme for her I thought. She was supporting Jake and always was the good wife, same again with Armie (cant remember character names). I Funnily I have a "friend" like that.

I thought the same thing!!!! Not to be sexist- but most times surely you would say "31st floor sir" not ma'am.

And most people in a hotel would probably be cheating lol, like get a clue mate. Was a stupid line imo.

I thought the same thing!!!! Not to be sexist- but most times surely you would say "31st floor sir" not ma'am.

And most people in a hotel would probably be cheating lol, like get a clue mate. Was a stupid line imo.

Yeh, fair to say he'd be out of a job in most places, was even worse because the bloke told him the floor, not the woman.

I was underwhelmed. The novel was supposedly an allegory/parallel of the pain Susan caused Tony in leaving him for Hutton and aborting their child. (the rapists and Susan were nocturnal animals, etc..) Tony was not recalling actual events that really happened and for that reason I'm surprised that some people felt tension given that the movie mainly focused on fictional writing.

I was bored for most of the movie tbh and I think a guy in my session walked out half way through out as I didn't see him return. I was tempted to do likewise but decided to stick through it. In the end the movie never made me care about it's underlying message or it's characters.

And that opening sequence, did we need to be subjected to morbidly obese women wiggling around for who knows how long?

I was underwhelmed. The novel was supposedly an allegory/parallel of the pain Susan caused Tony in leaving him for Hutton and aborting their child. (the rapists and Susan were nocturnal animals, etc..) Tony was not recalling actual events that really happened and for that reason I'm surprised that some people felt tension given that the movie mainly focused on fictional writing.

I was bored for most of the movie tbh and I think a guy in my session walked out half through out as I didn't see him return. I was tempted to do likewise but decided to stick through it. In the end the movie never made me care about it's underlying message or it's characters.

And that opening sequence, did we need to be subjected to morbidly obese women wiggling around for who knows how long?

Ahhh, okay. Couldn't disagree with you more, but fair enough.

Tony was not recalling actual events that really happened and for that reason I'm surprised that some people felt tension given that the movie mainly focused on fictional writing.

Just because there's a story within a story doesn't mean there isn't real tension there; we don't know what's going to happen to Gyllenhaal. The tension Adams would feel reading it should be appropriately transferred to the audience, it makes it more vivid. I thought it was effective filmmaking because at times it did slip my mind that none of that was 'real'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know a movie is really good, when you need time to sit back and reflect on what you just saw. I don't think I've been so engrossed or had such mesmerising experience at the cinemas since Prisoners (Damn you Gyllenhaal)
Acting is first class, Aaron Taylor Johnson (kick ass guy, can you believe that) Shannon (underrated for sure) I thought the whole movie was well cast and acted. It was a brutal, heart wrenching story that I am glad I saw, thanks to many of you Bfers.

As far as the movie itself I think the story was a direct link or version of events between the marriage of Edward And Susan. Edward felt he wasn't supported as a writer, and having his wife and child murded (Tony) as the same as being left and cheated on with Morrow and their child aborted. Throughout the story Susan starts to fall back in love with Edward, and that ending, Tony seems to shoot himself in the gut, or has succeeded thus leaving Susan waiting for Edward knowing he has succeeded almost rubbing it in her face.
I could be wrong back that's how I saw it. It needs a rewatch. I only hope more people get the Chance to see this wonderful movie.

Watched it this morning and felt so drained I came home and slept away the afternoon. Terrific film but truly unsettling. Between this and A Single Man, it's kind of a shame that Tom Ford doesn't turn to film making more often. Though I'm sure the fashion world are glad he hasn't permanently moved to cinema. But his visuals are just so terrific and artistic, he's made two unforgettable films. And Amy Adams - two terrific films released the same day between this and Arrival, with two very different but superb performances. She's such a fantastic actress and I hope to see her get her full due one day (although everyone in this is pretty terrific).

Tony was not recalling actual events that really happened and for that reason I'm surprised that some people felt tension given that the movie mainly focused on fictional writing.

Interesting take, but the film itself is fiction and the tension in that is surely as real as the tension in the fiction within the fiction?

And most people in a hotel would probably be cheating lol, like get a clue mate.

...Wha?

Yeah, seems like I didn't enjoy this as much as most of you in here. It looked beautiful, the performances were great and the novel inside a film idea was interesting and done well, but to me it just lacked that certain something. I didn't find Adams' character's present timeline that captivating (she's unhappy and her husband is probably cheating? Haven't heard of that one before...), nor was I that interested in the initial meet-cute and relationship (and relationship deterioration) of Adams and Gyllenhaal. Maybe those two things should've made me feel something, adding impact to the rest of the film, but to me it was a bit lightweight.

The novel's story itself was ok, but again, a bit lightweight and even if looked at purely as an allegory for his/their life, there still wasn't enough in it for me. I think it was only towards the very end of the film that I started to feel a bit of tension.

All in all, I feel like this was one had the potential to be great, but didn't quite get there.

Last edited:
Watched it this morning and felt so drained I came home and slept away the afternoon. Terrific film but truly unsettling. Between this and A Single Man, it's kind of a shame that Tom Ford doesn't turn to film making more often. Though I'm sure the fashion world are glad he hasn't permanently moved to cinema. But his visuals are just so terrific and artistic, he's made two unforgettable films. And Amy Adams - two terrific films released the same day between this and Arrival, with two very different but superb performances. She's such a fantastic actress and I hope to see her get her full due one day (although everyone in this is pretty terrific).

Interesting take, but the film itself is fiction and the tension in that is surely as real as the tension in the fiction within the fiction?

...Wha?

Yep a work of fiction within a work of fiction, I realise that it comes across a tad 'ironic'. But I came in to the movie to be invested in the fictional characters that were presented as the main protagonists of the story like in the majority of films.

Initially I thought the novel might have been based on real life events but when it became evidently clear that it was merely an allegory about what Susan did to Edward I just lost interest, I felt gibbed tbh.

Anyway the rape story in and of itself wasn't particularly engaging so that was never gonna be enough for me to come out of the cinema feeling like I hadn't waisted 2 hours. Had I known what I was singing up for from the beginning I wouldn't have bothered watching it as that premise for a film doesn't intrigue me in the slightest.

Last edited:
Yep a work of fiction within a work of fiction, I realise that it comes across a tad 'ironic'. But I came in to the movie to be invested in the fictional characters that were presented as the main protagonists of the story like in the majority of films.

Initially I thought the novel might have been based on real life events but when it became evidently clear that it was merely an allegory about what Susan did to Edward I just lost interest, I felt gibbed tbh.

Anyway the rape story in and of itself wasn't particularly engaging so that was never gonna be enough for me to come out of the cinema feeling like I hadn't waisted 2 hours. Had I known what I was singing up for from the beginning I wouldn't have bothered watching it as that premise for a film doesn't intrigue me in the slightest.

Look its fair criticism to you, I think its just baffling criticism to most people. You don't have to like the film and frankly you don't even need a reason to dislike one, I just cant really follow your logic for not liking it here.

I don't know if you're saying your criticisim of it being a work of fiction within a work of fiction is ironic or if you think the premise itself is ironic, because if its the latter I don't get at all what your going for here.

To me the book, and the presentation of it was immaculate, watching Adams character finally be brought to realization and accountability for what she had done to her ex husband and for who she is as a person was brilliant. Seeing her interpretation of the book and the grief she cause through the narrative of the book was engrossing and exhausting.

There were a lot of sub plots and ideas in this that fascinated me in regards to the humanity of the characters and the effect that events and incidents can have on people.

- The rape and murder of his wife and daughter being a clear emasculation of him as a man and the fact that having a woman leave you for another man whilst pregnant with your child is also emasculating (if not nearly as extreme)
- The woman becoming her mother despite her appearing to despise her mother (every womans worst nightmare)
- The inability of the woman to maintain a relationship because of her own insecurities and desires

And above all of these the fact the characters (and humans in general) place the emphasis and the blame on other people for the traumas in their lives without ever considering what they did to contribute to them (Jakes anger at Amy for leaving him when its never just one persons fault etc).

TO me at least it was a study of the human condition and the fact that were all self centred. Turning a mirror on ones self is almost always f**king terrifying, this movie showed that.

Just watched this movie.

Pretty damn good. Nothing all-time great about it at first viewing, first take-in....but it was incredibly engaging and engrossing. I couldn't leave any scene alone, kept wanting more...both the real world as it interrupted the book, and the story of the book.

Great acting by all cast members.

Highly recommend this movie. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this movie. There's nothing "wrong" about it as such. There's no artsy bs, there's no bad script writing or plot holes, there's no boring scenes, it's not too long, not too short, there's always action and drama to keep you going, it's neither superficial nor too deep, etc.

Probably rate this movie something like 5 or 6 out of 10 on my GG metric. IMDB review coming up.

No way I'd watch it again, that was exhausting. At least not for a while. I honestly felt immense dread and sadness after the film, its stayed with me.

So aside from the obvious parallels between his book and his life (losing his wife and daughter the way the characters in the book emasculated him in the same way the new boyfriend did) I loved Amy's portrayal of the disassociated poor little rich girl. The standard turning into her superficial mother etc. It's an interesting thing to consider, the idea that you should be able to protect the women in your life and how not being able to do that is one of a man biggest fears and genuinely taps into the primal instinct we should have. The men should be the violent protectors should the need call, so being a sensitive new ager is all well and good until it isn't.

Ending? Not sure if he committed suicide (although given the way the book paralleled his life, him accidently shooting himself would tie into suicide in real life nicely). I kind of felt like he just stood her up because he had shown her everything she took from him in his book and this was his way of doing it back, the whole "you get what you give" idea.

The bolded bit is a really great review of this film. :thumbsu:

as for the ending, imo he clearly just stood her up imo.

the obvious sign is the painting on the wall REVENGE that she stands and ponders over again before entering her meeting. this was a bit of a too obvious thing for the director to do her, TELLING US instead of doing a "Kubrick" of merely alluding to it.

the heart beats co-ordinated at the end of the book while she's in the bath and the fictional Jake is lying in the grass....that's another TELLING US moment. It's that she's "dead" now in essence, the act of revenge having been perpetrated on her successfully. She gave up love for comfort like her mother, she killed her unborn baby, she has grown cynical of the world and her own self, no meaning/direction, her marriage is a sham, everything is a sham about her life, it's all superficial face-value, keeping up with the joneses, and she knows by the end well and truly that she is dead inside. Now she's fully aware she's lost everything that she once had. She was right to defy her mother, she could've been happier at this very point in life is she didnt give up.

HOWEVER...I was thinking as the ending was happening, that the twist wasn't that he killed himself....but that he was testing her resolve, to see if she had really changed, because he still loves her (he never re-married). He told her at the breaking-apart to "stop running away from everything". And here she was sitting at that table....she could so easily have given up again, but she toughed it out, she knew what she had to do, just keep waiting, show to him that she has learned her lesson, that she is willing to wait, not give up. Again, there was a call-back to this when in the meeting room she said how "sometimes we need to not change so drastically so soon", to tough it out with someone, an employee that she initially had wanted to fire weeks ago. But the book, the message of the book, made her start waking up to herself, changing her. She took all that make-up off her face, the jewelry, the signs of that superficial life she gave him up for....she wiped it away, she wanted to be her college self again, someone who was more real and natural.

The book and the message/correlation to her life with him was changing her dramatically, so deeply, as she was reading it. Little by little. She was accepting the suffering and realizations for what she'd done to him and herself. So, in the end, I believe she was pushing herself to PROVE that she had changed. She was toughing it out, even as the very last frame focused on her eye about to cry, she was going to tough it out, he was probably watching her from somewhere and knew it was the right time to finally appear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back