Roast #noexcuses

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta remember he has such an injury interrupted career so far, I'm willing to cut him some slack when he is out on his feet. He isn't overly quick but like Brayshaw he covers ground quicker than you'd think.
Yeah im not saying drop him i get all that more to do with coaching i guess if he isnt covering the ground chuck him forward. Will do damage

Yeah im not saying drop him i get all that more to do with coaching i guess if he isnt covering the ground chuck him forward. Will do damage

I agree I like Salem roaming across the HFF more than in defence as I don't think he's much chop as a defender. Alot of our problems this year have been from not taking chances I think we need Vince and Salem forward more often.

Just watched the replay and the game was hardly melt worthy. The effort was there, we just didn't capitalise enough when we had the momentum. We were rooted in the third and couldn't stem the bleeding, but to me it seemed like we couldn't figure out what to do. More on-field leadership is what we need in those moments. It will come, our effort in the 4th showed it wasn't that we didn't want it, we just need to get smarter.

Each and everyone of them deserves to clean the toilets with their own toothbrushes
This is the sort of coaching acumen that's missing in professional football.

Seriously though, I think people need to lower their expectations a bit; Roos said on Open Mike that playing finals wasn't worthwhile if you're only going to get flogged, and bookmarked 2018 when we'd blossom into a genuine finals team. We're on the right track.

I had already Penciled in 2018 as the year to start getting really excited.

Honestly, 2017 for me has already blown away my expectations.

Midfield Half Forward/Back
Oliver is going supanova.
Petracca is looking great.
Salem is really looking good.

Ruck
Melbourne has one of the best ruckman in the game, and only with 63 games under his belt, and now we have a decent back up in Spencer.

Forward
Melbourne has a Hogan with a decent kicking style.
Weiderman is developing nicely, in two years he is going to start delivering.
Garlett is playing outstanding team football.
Kent is looking awesome.
Watts, is doing lots of hard thankless tasks for the club.

Defence
I like T McDonald, as the midfield gets better life will get better for him as well.
I really like Frost his desire to take on the game in a positive manner is excellent. I think he could be anything.
Jayden Hunt with only 23 games would pretty much walk into almost every other team in the competition.
- And if some other team picked him up I would cry for a week I think.
Jetta is a rock.

I am actually happy with what Lewis is bringing on field. I never thought I would say that though. His stupid suspension is still stupid though.

There are a few negatives at this point. But most of them I think can be put down to development issues (O McDonald kicking, Harmes, Petracca and Stretch delivery of the ball).

In my humble opinion it takes around 6 years to get in a position to get a look in at top four, and then you have about 2 to 3 years after that to win a Grand Final.

Considering this club rebooted three years ago we are ahead of the curve, again in my opinion.

Ruck
Melbourne has one of the best ruckman in the game, and only with 63 games under his belt, and now we have a decent back up to Spencer.

You are a fraud, sir!

I had already Penciled in 2018 as the year to start getting really excited.

Honestly, 2017 for me has already blown away my expectations.

Midfield Half Forward/Back
Oliver is going supanova.
Petracca is looking great.
Salem is really looking good.

Ruck
Melbourne has one of the best ruckman in the game, and only with 63 games under his belt, and now we have a decent back up in Spencer.

Forward
Melbourne has a Hogan with a decent kicking style.
Weiderman is developing nicely, in two years he is going to start delivering.
Garlett is playing outstanding team football.
Kent is looking awesome.
Watts, is doing lots of hard thankless tasks for the club.

Defence
I like T McDonald, as the midfield gets better life will get better for him as well.
I really like Frost his desire to take on the game in a positive manner is excellent. I think he could be anything.
Jayden Hunt with only 23 games would pretty much walk into almost every other team in the competition.
- And if some other team picked him up I would cry for a week I think.
Jetta is a rock.

I am actually happy with what Lewis is bringing on field. I never thought I would say that though. His stupid suspension is still stupid though.

There are a few negatives at this point. But most of them I think can be put down to development issues (O McDonald kicking, Harmes, Petracca and Stretch delivery of the ball).

In my humble opinion it takes around 6 years to get in a position to get a look in at top four, and then you have about 2 to 3 years after that to win a Grand Final.

Considering this club rebooted three years ago we are ahead of the curve, again in my opinion.

I agree with nearly all of this. However your point on delivery of the ball, Stretch is in our top three for disposal efficiency with 82.2%. Only 3 clangers from 4 games is also the lowest in the side.

This is the sort of coaching acumen that's missing in professional football.

Seriously though, I think people need to lower their expectations a bit; Roos said on Open Mike that playing finals wasn't worthwhile if you're only going to get flogged, and bookmarked 2018 when we'd blossom into a genuine finals team. We're on the right track.

TBH, every season that starts to go downhill we seem to hear 'next year we're expected to make finals', 'we need to lower our expectations'! This is BS. Didn't the club come out and say they expected to make finals in the last year of the Paul Roos coaching stint? That was 2016. Now people are saying no no no, it's 2018 we are expected to make finals. We accept such mediocrity at this club.

We should have been 4-0 but this club always finds a way to stuff things up. Some experts tipped us to finish top 5 this year, and by all reports in the off season, we were flying. But stupid suspensions, a few unfortunate injuries and some poor coaching/on field performances and we're back to middle of the road. I'm not melting, however I'm also not accepting the last few weeks. We were poor against Carlton and would have been smashed by a good team. We were the better team against Geelong until the last quarter and poor disposal let us down, again (an issue that is huge as who do we have that are good kicks besides Watts and Salem), and the Freo game was a disaster IMO. We can't drop those games. Freo weren't actually that good watching the replay. They had a 3rd quarter out of the box, but both teams were quite poor for the majority of the game. Have we learnt nothing since that close St.Kilda game we lost a couple of years ago? We hit the front against Freo with a minute or two left and we only have 3 defenders in the D50?? That is seriously amateur hour? Cue the Benny Hill music! Where was the leadership? Why didn't the coach pick this up?? Freo had 5 on 3 in their own F50 with a minute to go and behind by 3 points!! You can accept that, but that is sh*t we keep doing and accepting as a club. Finals sides win those matches at home against an average interstate team. I'm sick of hearing we'll be good in a few years time. We have the team now. Lewis said it when he got traded here. All the coaches have said we should make finals this season. The players are all excited about what a great list we now have. But the performances still don't represent what they are saying.

Next two weeks will define our season. Two teams around our standard, and I for one, am expecting the team to win both. If we lose both, then we are honestly staring at a bottom 4-6 finish with some really tough games still to come and our best player on the sidelines.

Last edited:
I agree with nearly all of this. However your point on delivery of the ball, Stretch is in our top three for disposal efficiency with 82.2%. Only 3 clangers from 4 games is also the lowest in the side.

Yep, he has one of the lowest disposals per clanger ratios in the league. I would like him to kick the ball more though.

TBH, every season that starts to go downhill we seem to hear 'next year we're expected to make finals', 'we need to lower our expectations'! This is BS. Didn't the club come out and say they expected to make finals in the last year of the Paul Roos coaching stint? That was 2016. Now people are saying no no no, it's 2018 we are expected to make finals. We accept such mediocrity at this club.

We should have been 4-0 but this club always finds a way to stuff things up. Some experts tipped us to finish top 5 this year, and by all reports in the off season, we were flying. But stupid suspensions, a few unfortunate injuries and some poor coaching/on field performances and we're back to middle of the road. I'm not melting, however I'm also not accepting the last few weeks. We were poor against Carlton and would have been smashed by a good team. We were the better team against Geelong until the last quarter and poor disposal let us down, again (an issue that is huge as who do we have that are good kicks besides Watts and Salem), and the Freo game was a disaster IMO. We can't drop those games. Freo weren't actually that good watching the replay. They had a 3rd quarter out of the box, but both teams were quite poor for the majority of the game. Have we learnt nothing since that close St.Kilda game we lost a couple of years ago? We hit the front against Freo with a minute or two left and we only have 3 defenders in the D50?? That is seriously amateur hour? Cue the Benny Hill music! Where was the leadership? Why didn't the coach pick this up?? Freo had 5 on 3 in their own F50 with a minute to go and behind by 3 points!! You can accept that, but that is sh*t we keep doing and accepting as a club. Finals sides win those matches at home against an average interstate team. I'm sick of hearing we'll be good in a few years time. We have the team now. Lewis said it when he got traded here. All the coaches have said we should make finals this season. The players are all excited about what a great list we now have. But the performances still don't represent what they are saying.

Next two weeks will define our season. Two teams around our standard, and I for one, am expecting the team to win both. If we lose both, then we are honestly staring at a bottom 4-6 finish with some really tough games still to come and our best player on the sidelines.

Agree with this tbh. We got gifted a great fixture this year, I hate it when people start pulling out the 'we are still young' card four rounds into the season.

If we miss finals and finish 9-12 I'm not going to call for the club to be torn down or Goody sacked, but it'd be very disappointing and he would already be under significant pressure for 2018.

The next two games are huge but I reckon the four after that are just as big.

Richmond MCG
Essendon Etihad
Hawks MCG
Adelaide AO
North MCG
Suns Alice Springs

If we don't win at least 4/6 there I'm sorry but we aren't making finals. People can get shitty at me for making predictions but it's the truth, the next 6 weeks won't confirm finals for us but they will tell us if we ARENT making them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond MCG
Essendon Etihad
Hawks MCG
Adelaide AO
North MCG
Suns Alice Springs

If we don't win at least 4/6 there I'm sorry but we aren't making finals. People can get shitty at me for making predictions but it's the truth, the next 6 weeks won't confirm finals for us but they will tell us if we ARENT making them.

100% agree. Really, the only one we should lose is Crows. If we really are contenders we need to win the rest or like you say only drop one other.

Richmond MCG
Essendon Etihad
Hawks MCG
Adelaide AO
North MCG
Suns Alice Springs

Spot on mate.
The only one we should lose out of those is the Crows with the Tigers this week being the second hardest of the 6.
If we're any good, we win 5 of those.

Spot on mate.
The only one we should lose out of those is the Crows with the Tigers this week being the second hardest of the 6.
If we're any good, we win 5 of those.

Mate, we could easily lose each of these games, that's the issue. There is no team that we should be favorite to beat, the only way is if we bring a 4Q effort and our leaders stand up, which they didn't really against the dockers.

I agree with the sentiment through, if its a chance of finals this year we will know in the next 6 weeks if we are in the running.

personally I think our structures wont get us to the finals - a high forward press is very 2010 and honestly it should be deeper defence, which saves energy, increases conversion efficiency and can avoid 7 goal quarters

Mate, we could easily lose each of these games, that's the issue. There is no team that we should be favorite to beat, the only way is if we bring a 4Q effort and our leaders stand up, which they didn't really against the dockers.
No sh*t.
Like I said, if we're any good, we win 5 of those and if we don't, we WON'T play finals as schmuttt said.
Garbage there is no team we should beat - there's 5 on that list.
When we play poorly or don't bring the intensity, we can be beaten by anyone and that's the point.

I agree with the sentiment through, if its a chance of finals this year we will know in the next 6 weeks if we are in the running.

personally I think our structures wont get us to the finals - a high forward press is very 2010 and honestly it should be deeper defence, which saves energy, increases conversion efficiency and can avoid 7 goal quarters

Yeah I agree, all the best teams are winning with intercept marks and then slingshotting into space
We are playing Collingwood 2010/11 style

No sh*t.
Like I said, if we're any good, we win 5 of those and if we don't, we WON'T play finals as schmuttt said.
Garbage there is no team we should beat - there's 5 on that list.
When we play poorly or don't bring the intensity, we can be beaten by anyone and that's the point.

OK so I think we agree, the only point of difference being I dont think we "should beat" any of them - in fact, based on last 2 weeks, I think they will all thing we are gettable for them and bring more intensity than us, which brings us back to the effort and leadership thing

OK so I think we agree, the only point of difference being I dont think we "should beat" any of them - in fact, based on last 2 weeks, I think they will all thing we are gettable for them and bring more intensity than us, which brings us back to the effort and leadership thing
With where we are at, we should be beating Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, North and GC

With where we are at, we should be beating Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, North and GC
Joking right? Where are we at??? We just lost to freo ffs we looked like s**t against carlton.. richmond are playing way better than us. North are playing better.. essendon play some good footy same as goldcoast. We could lose all of them if we play our normal bullshit we trundle out. Delusional alot of you campaigners i swear.. we arent much chop we have holes all over the ground our depth is shite. Believing our own hype after showing nothing hahaha come the * on should be winning all of those wowzers. Oh but weve beaten richmond last few times yadda yadda total different team this year.. i reckon we win 2 of those with 1 being our normal dumb s**t lose and other 2 looking like s**t.

Ive had the night to mull on it, and whilst I hate that we lost how good and entertaining was the last quarter? I want us to win every week but the last 2 weeks with the lead changes have been bloody exciting and it's awesome to be enjoying the footy again as a spectacle
Coming down from 20 odd points at 3/4 time is still a fair effort
I think the rule changes certainly in regards to keeping the ball alive have made it more exciting. Though it may of been costly to us twice on the weekend. Petracca keeping the ball in which then allowed freo to easily get it out of defense when we desperately needed it in our forward line. I'm sure there was a moment where we should of rushed a behind but kept it in resulting in a goal. But back to your point it is exciting now when the ball is in the forward line with some pressure on the defenders. Of course the flip side is when we're deep in defense nervous times to be had with some of our defenders. But overall the comp is more exciting.

Jesus. 1971. Won 8 out of our first 9 matches and ended up missing the final 4 (as it was back then) by finishing 7th out of 12 teams.

Welcome to the world of being a Melbourne supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back