Remove this Banner Ad

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Read this today and thought it was pretty presumptuous:
''
At the AFL draft next week 17-year-old Rockingham defender Aaron Naughton will be among those predicted to go in the top 10 picks.

But the talent, who is being compared to the Eagles’ All-Australian star Jeremy McGovern, has a message for Fremantle Dockers.

‘Let me go to Collingwood’.'

Clearly the guy's a talent but nominating a preferred club prior to the draft is seriously poor form and is indicative of both immaturity and attitude issues. While clearly too late for such a move in this draft, I think that a mechanism should be inserted in the rules to disqualify anyone who does such a thing from nomination for a period of two years. Thoughts?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/af...ood-over-fremantle-dockers-pick-ng-b88661570z

If he wants to go to Collingwood I would suggest that he's probably not the full quid anyway. Pass.

Agree, it's not the way it's done. The last one who tried something like this to my memory was Kavanagh from Essendon. His father warning clubs off if I remember correctly. He was delisted after 4 years.

Last edited:

As far as I am concerned comments like that should result in him being ineligible for this years draft.

If I was the AFL I would force clubs to record every interview they have with a player, and if the AFL notices some players deliberately tanking some interviews, trying to dictate where they want to go, then they should be out as well. I have heard rumours on this forum of a few players who deliberately gave very poor interviews to non-Victorian clubs.

Meh, the AFL won't do much because it's happening to a Victorian club, and they're benefiting from it.

The moment a kid states that he would prefer to go to a non-Victorian club, watch the media try and force the AFL into changing the rules for this type of draft tampering.

s**t flog of a human being this Naughton fellow, hope he gets passed over by every club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get stuffed! If Freo choose to draft Naughton, he'll bloody well get drafted by us and he can suck it up.

What a crock of s**t though that players can now dictate where they want to go......I hope the campaigner fails miserably as a footballer and it'll serve him right (unless he gets over himself and plays at Freo if we draft him)

I don't mind players or people being open about what they want in life

It's just a game for the fans but it's life for those who play

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned comments like that should result in him being ineligible for this years draft.

If I was the AFL I would force clubs to record every interview they have with a player, and if the AFL notices some players deliberately tanking some interviews, trying to dictate where they want to go, then they should be out as well. I have heard rumours on this forum of a few players who deliberately gave very poor interviews to non-Victorian clubs.
None compares to the Kieren Jack scandal.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/kieren-jack-draft-conspiracy-allegations.896602/

He likes the idea of playing for the biggest club in the city of football, the club he supports as a kid. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The video doesn't show him saying "Let me go to Collingwood" that looks like a bit of journalism spin to get a ruckus out of it.

Honestly if you rate the player then you have to take him and back your culture and system in to change their mind. Ollie Wines has said many times that when he was first drafted he was planning on leaving after his two years were up. Now he’s probably gonna be our next captain. I’m sure he’s not the first or the last player to go through something similar

Honestly, If I had the chance to be drafted I would have tried every trick in the book, including cheating, to get drafted by the Hawks.

And if I got drafted by another club, I would be thinking how to eventually get there.

After landing at another club, my opinion may change.

Not proud of this, but just the way I think of things.

Actually, I don't think cheating would be required these days. Just manipulation.

Jeez that article is a fair hatchet job / sensationalism.

He said his preference was for the club he supports (apparently pretty passionately) to pick him.

Cue shock and horror.

Jesus people love making a mountain out of a molehill. Kid is asked where he would like to play. Says he would like to play for big Melbourne club he supported.

Some how that results in drop kicks wanting him banned from the draft, ripping into his work ethic, huge ego, s**t bloke all round...

Jeeeeeeesus :rolleyes: Some people need to pull their head in

Any kid that pulls this type of draft tampering needs to be excluded from the draft , that also includes any others mentioned in this forum. This crap has to stop before the competition is compromised

Be funny too see the pies over look him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back