Nominating a club pre-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He's unlikely to go pick 1 and after that it's Freo and then Vic clubs for the rest of the top 10. I can't really blame him for being a loyal Pies fan. In fact I think that's nice to see a kid about to be drafted and still passionate about his footy team.

The issue is Freo having the 2 top 5 picks and him playing for their WAFL side. You'd think most kids in his situation would love to stay with Peel and Freo. But whether it's getting dropped for the GF or some other issue he's clearly not happy there.

Probably more common for mature agers than kids but I'm sure clubs have a lot to juggle when deciding how much exposure to give draftable players.

He's unlikely to go pick 1 and after that it's Freo and then Vic clubs for the rest of the top 10. I can't really blame him for being a loyal Pies fan. In fact I think that's nice to see a kid about to be drafted and still passionate about his footy team.

The issue is Freo having the 2 top 5 picks and him playing for their WAFL side. You'd think most kids in his situation would love to stay with Peel and Freo. But whether it's getting dropped for the GF or some other issue he's clearly not happy there.

Probably more common for mature agers than kids but I'm sure clubs have a lot to juggle when deciding how much exposure to give draftable players.
We'r pretty full up atm for tall defenders. Having said that, Ross would probably prefer playing 22 defenders so who knows.

1. Has anything even been said publicly?
2. How is this different to Chad Wingard refusing to go anywhere but Port? Pretty sure this kind of question gets asked in every single recruiting interview in the lead-up to the draft. It is up to the players to decide how frank and honest they want to be, and up to clubs to decide how concerned they are of a possible trade request.
3. Is Naughton even likely to get picked by either of those clubs? He's being spoken about, but not sure he's really a top 6 prospect. Now I wouldnt mind if we took him if none of the gun rated guys slip, but its not like he's a standout at that position. Could really go anywhere from 5-15. If we were talking about a likely 1-5 prospect (or higher - a la Wingard) this might be a different story.

This will always be an issue. The best solution is going to be extending draft contracts, but a lot of other things have to change to make that attractive for both players and clubs.

But if the media are gonna make such a big deal out of this, don't turn it into a circus in 1-2 years time if he's demanding a trade and complain that he wasn't honest at the start.

If he wants to go to Collingwood I would suggest that he's probably not the full quid anyway. Pass.

Agree, it's not the way it's done. The last one who tried something like this to my memory was Kavanagh from Essendon. His father warning clubs off if I remember correctly. He was delisted after 4 years.

Yeah, the Kav situation was what I was instantly reminded of too.

Whats the problem ? Its the norm. All kids dream about getting picked up by the club they barrack for or perhaps just stay in the city they grew up in near family and friends.
Articles like this one are usually embellished to generate a shitstorm.

Almost all hide a bit of disappointment but it was only ever a dream and countless family and club members have reinforced that into them for years.

They only needed to be reminded of Goddard's drafting. Kid was a massive Carlton fan who just happened to have the #1 pick when he was the standout #1. Its a dream come true. Imagine being 17 and finding out very late that you now wont be going to your club due to club penalties. Heart wrenching for a kid but by the time you settle anywhere you have a new family at any club. He never even went to Carlton when the brown paper bags of cash were kicked over the coffee table at him.
Its even less to worry about these days with mid career free agency options making it even easier to fulfill a dream IFFF that fire still burns later on.

All that would have been explained to him...so i;ll bet on the story being a beat up for a pay cheque. All kids get asked WHERE would u like to go...he shouldnt need to lie just to satisfy some minor formality. He's still a kid so cut him some slack.

Last edited:
If a draftee wants to burn some bridges by tanking interviews or being honest about where they want to play then so be it. Their prerogative as far as I’m concerned.

What’s the alternative? Force them to lie only to then try and leave as soon as they’re off their first contract?

Clubs would just want the truth I reckon. If they still want to draft a kid who’s already said they want to play elsewhere then they can still do that. At least they’ll have all available info to make that call.

Pretty much this.

I doubt he burnt any bridges anyway. Shoudl Freo select him I dont think either party will have a problem l with it.

"Yeah it would be great to play for the team I support."

Put that through the McClure Translator 4000

"So what you're saying is, you want to tamper with the draft and are you questioning the professionalism of the other 17 clubs? Because if that's what you're saying, that's a huge thing for a draftee to do and say. A massive scandal on the eve of the AFL draft."

If there is a single one of the 18 clubs you would not go to or deal with fairly then you should not be eligible for the draft. I think the nomination form already has some wording to this effect, it is just that the AFL treats probity in this, like all other matters, as a joke.

If he wants to go to Collingwood I would suggest that he's probably not the full quid anyway. Pass.

Agree, it's not the way it's done. The last one who tried something like this to my memory was Kavanagh from Essendon. His father warning clubs off if I remember correctly. He was delisted after 4 years.
This link here is (allegedly) about Kavangh: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/0ae2bb4cd6b8e5a1dd49d499488bcf8c

In the end the karma bus certainly came around pretty quickly for him. He requested a trade 3 years into his time at the Bombers and, for reasons I can't possibly work out, had no takers. His career came to a grinding halt 12 months later. Oops.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/20a083cfcde03e02f1f5b2d7cd33a048

It's quite simple really. He was rubbish.
He was, but plenty of players of his ilk are given a fresh chance at another club prepared to have a cheap gamble on a recent first rounder. My point is that his cause can't have been helped by what apparently happened before the draft - I can't imagine many clubs who interviewed him a few years earlier would have been the slightest bit interested in taking a punt given what went on.

Don't burn your bridges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was, but plenty of players of his ilk are given a fresh chance at another club prepared to have a cheap gamble on a recent first rounder. My point is that his cause can't have been helped by what apparently happened before the draft - I can't imagine many clubs who interviewed him a few years earlier would have been the slightest bit interested in taking a punt given what went on.

Don't burn your bridges.
If he had been any good there would have been some clubs who wouldn't have given 2 shits about it I'm sure.

I’m not sure that it is a big deal for anyone to say basically “if I had my choice, I would like to be drafted by x club”. I mean they all want to get drafted and they’re human, so will have a preference. It’s only natural. A few years after being drafted elsewhere the preference will quite possibly have faded. I would have liked a bunch of stuff at 18 that changed not long after. They would be asked that question in every interview anyway - a club would be derelict in not trying to ascertain where a kids head is at that point in time.

Don't burn your bridges.

This is true.

Back on topic Naughton has not burnt any bridges though.

Clearly the guy's a talent but nominating a preferred club prior to the draft is seriously poor form and is indicative of both immaturity and attitude issues.

On the contrary, I think it's a sign of greater maturity, understanding that it's a business, and where he feels he can get the most out of his personal and professional development.

17 year old kid doesn't want to move to the other side of the country away from family and friends for work... What a horrible and immature thing to do :rolleyes:

Nominating a club pre draft.....Isn't that what Academy kids do? FS?
and didn't Jack Darling 'influence' the outcome to get to WCE?

But no, this case is going to a Vic club, and is therefore WRONG.

It shouldn't happen, but it's hardly a unique event, and until they stamp it all out, then it's hard to get too worked up about it.

Nominating a club pre draft.....Isn't that what Academy kids do? FS?
and didn't Jack Darling 'influence' the outcome to get to WCE?

But no, this case is going to a Vic club, and is therefore WRONG.

It shouldn't happen, but it's hardly a unique event, and until they stamp it all out, then it's hard to get too worked up about it.

Nobodys stopping clubs from drafting them. They are free to take a punt. If anything these are doing the right thing by these clubs if they are only going to leave in 2-3 years anyway. It reduces the go home factor if they end up at home in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back