Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that travel:
  1. Enjoy the adventure.
  2. Take a book with you, things get delayed and phones run out of charge.
  3. Be positive.
  4. Dads help (even IF his wife prompts him).
  5. Always carry a towel & first aid kit (scissors, bandages, antisceptic, etc.)
  6. Global roaming is expensive BUT unless you aren't coming back, you can't access many services like gmail without security codes (sms / phone calls) with 2 way authentication. Missing an email can cost you thousands.
  7. Get travel insurance. Accidents happen.
  8. Update your will and make sure you have left details for others to access your accounts etc IF they need to.
Bags get lost. Always carry a change of underwear & socks in your carry on luggage.

The Australian Cricket team finally starting to adjust the team for Indian conditions…. BUT they really need to look at changing the batting line up to players who are great against spin.
Peter Handscomb is an excellent case in point. Probably wouldn't get a test cap if it was in Australia but he held the back half of the innings together with his unbeaten 72. Good technique against the Indian spin.

I still think we'll get a 4-0 hiding in the series but it's definitely better than the first test. Let's see how India fares tomorrow.

Brilliant finish to the 2nd test match NZ v England. NZ won by 1 run after being forced to follow on.

Anderson got a glove on a ball from Wagner and was caught down leg side. A touch wider deflection and England win.

Only the second time ever that a test has been won by that margin.

Brilliant finish to the 2nd test match NZ v England. NZ won by 1 run after being forced to follow on.

Anderson got a glove on a ball from Wagner and was caught down leg side. A touch wider deflection and England win.

Only the second time ever that a test has been won by that margin.
Couple of interesting non calls in the last couple of overs. One of them in particular was lucky not to be called a wide imo.

Couple of interesting non calls in the last couple of overs. One of them in particular was lucky not to be called a wide imo.
True but you have to consider all the calls and non-calls across the 5 days. We would have no idea if they were irregular until that is considered.

It’s a bit like fans moaning about a free kick given or not given in the dying minutes of a close football game. They are no more or less significant than ones paid/not paid earlier in the game. They just feature more in the minds of the aggrieved fans.

True but you have to consider all the calls and non-calls across the 5 days. We would have no idea if they were irregular until that is considered.

It’s a bit like fans moaning about a free kick given or not given in the dying minutes of a close football game. They are no more or less significant than ones paid/not paid earlier in the game. They just feature more in the minds of the aggrieved fans.
For sure. But had it been called, it may have been a tied test. Understand there is thousands of decisions that make up a game, but it does annoy me when games are officiated differently, depending on the state of the game though - in any sport.

For sure. But had it been called, it may have been a tied test. Understand there is thousands of decisions that make up a game, but it does annoy me when games are officiated differently, depending on the state of the game though - in any sport.
Yes! One of my pet peeves is when they say admiringly "the umpire has put the whistle away" toward the end of a final.

I can understand the psychology of it for the umpire, even if it's not a deliberate thought process. No umpire wants to be remembered as the one that stole a flag from club x. That's more likely to be seen to be the case when an umpire GIVES a line-ball decision late in a GF than when he/she DOESN'T give it.

It speaks volumes for the looseness of the rules and the failure to appreciate the concept of fairness and consistency when it can be OK to pay a free kick early in the season or even early in the same game, but not pay exactly the same thing toward the end of that game.

Besides the non-giving of a free kick can be just as unfair as the giving of one. Anyone remember the Riewoldt push on Lake?

Last edited:
This is really annoying me so I'll post it here too (I also emailed it to the ACB, MCC and BCCI)...

Once again the commentators are blaming the players for not reviewing decisions - why bother having umpires then if it is up to the players to make decisions - it is total BS that umpires continue to be let off the hook for being either incompetent or cheats or both.

If it is close the umpire should call for a review (as they do with run outs, stumpings and catches) - not the players - they are there to play, NOT umpire.

3 overs of spin in the opening hour of a Test and 3 topline batsmen defeated by excessive spin. Tipping this match will be lucky to go 3 days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 overs of spin in the opening hour of a Test and 3 topline batsmen defeated by excessive spin. Tipping this match will be lucky to go 3 days.
When Sharma, Pujara etc are knocked over in the opening hour to spin, Aus will be knocked over in less than a session. It's crazy that India are practically unbeatable at home in conditions that are a complete contrast to Aus, yet can still come here and beat us in these conditions. As soon as we are among conditions that are unfavourable, we fold like a deck of cards. India has shown its players can continually adjust and compete in all conditions. It really is fascinating.

This made me proud to be an Antipodean

ecc0d260dbfe28996c880cd59e8592bb

846738_640x360_large_20230423140746.jpg

No-one celebrates a hole in one like we do

earthquake epicentre in Sunbury, hope everyone's okay
I got an earthquake alert at 11:41pm on my phone. First time for that. My old phones just didn't care, I guess.

I was sitting in my living room using my phone and felt nothing here in Brookfield.

Was on AIM(AOL Instant Messenger) about twenty years ago in suburban Chicago with someone in suburban Milwaukee Wisconsin about 160 km away when we both felt an earthquake. Doesn't happen often in that area.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder how that Brisbane gimp who trolled us about the umpires in our game went with the umps in the Brissy game.
Good for our draft picks hey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back