Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody remember Tim Henman? Just a random thought that popped into my head lol. Must be all the British news.

Ah the perennial Wimbledon semi finalist before he'd get belted by someone. Started his Wimbledon time by belting a ball into a ball kid and getting tossed from the tournament too. Serve Volley style of play.

Well this weekend is my 3rd crack at the Gold Coast Marathon, hoping for a 4 hour time, and to finally understand the Japanese announcements.

Can't believe the flack Messi is copping for retiring from the national team. He's been in the best handful of players in each in the last major tournaments and still gets murdered by his own nations press. Unbelievable.

Looks like Mascherano, Aguero, Di Maria and a whole lot of others are going to walk away with him. Crazy.

Dunno if you can bet on it, but Argentina to miss the next word cup would be worth a $20 note. Would be the first time since the 70's I think.

And Maradona is just a piece of s**t. Saying "don't bother coming home unless you win it (Copa America)" is just ridiculous. I can't believe the bloke who is arguably the greatest player ever has to cop this s**t from his own country.

It's not like he deserves it, either. For all the egotistical w***ers that soccer has he seems like one of the genuine good guys. Not his fault Huiguan bottled two massive chances in the world cup and the copa america.

Just ridiculous.

God Save the England. Don't know whose prepared instant resignation statement was better, Hodgson or Cameron....

Can't believe the flack Messi is copping for retiring from the national team. He's been in the best handful of players in each in the last major tournaments and still gets murdered by his own nations press. Unbelievable.

Looks like Mascherano, Aguero, Di Maria and a whole lot of others are going to walk away with him. Crazy.

Dunno if you can bet on it, but Argentina to miss the next word cup would be worth a $20 note. Would be the first time since the 70's I think.
I think they might see it as abandonment.

I think they might see it as abandonment.
It'd be like if you have a great wife. She works a 200k job all day, does all the cooking and cleaning, you have banging sex and she's a good parent to your kids. But the husband still beats her up and then people have a go at her for getting a divorce.

That countries treatment of their best player EVER is just bizarre.

It'd be like if you have a great wife. She works a 200k job all day, does all the cooking and cleaning, you have banging sex and she's a good parent to your kids. But the husband still beats her up and then people have a go at her for getting a divorce.

That countries treatment of their best player EVER is just bizarre.
Maradona is treated like a god and has more claims on the best ever tag than Messi, who has never been close to him on the world stage.

I think they treat him disrespectfully but he and their national team have massively underachieved.

The Argentinian team doesn't play and train together enough. The players are too busy making so much money that playing together in friendly matches doesn't happen.
Their national team would be better performed if they put in place a minimum friendly match quota on their players and then stick with it. Then, the players who play together will produce a much greater result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Argentinian team doesn't play and train together enough. The players are too busy making so much money that playing together in friendly matches doesn't happen.
Their national team would be better performed if they put in place a minimum friendly match quota on their players and then stick with it. Then, the players who play together will produce a much greater result.
Think you'd have a lot of players who would no longer be interested in National selection then. Teams playing league football, champions league football, and in various cup competitions already have to put a lot of miles in their legs. Can you really blame players or clubs for not wanting their players to play in meaningless international friendlies.

Maradona is treated like a god and has more claims on the best ever tag than Messi, who has never been close to him on the world stage.

I think they treat him disrespectfully but he and their national team have massively underachieved.
Made the final of their last three major tournaments, two of which they should have won if Higuain doesn't completely brick it, in the other WC played in his prime the team was managed by Maradona. A tad unfair.

Last edited:

Argentinian guy I work with has a brother who is good friends with Carlos Tevez and he was saying that Messi would hand back all the titles, all the awards etc if he could just go out there and perform without the pressure that comes with being Lionel Messi.

Gotta feel for the guy. Does seem like a genuinely good bloke and one of the greatest players football has ever seen. Doesn't deserve the treatment he gets from his countrymen.

Same guy I work with said to me years ago that a lot of Argentine fans don't really like him because there was a feeling that he wasn't really one of them. Not a feeling he shared, but still.

Yet Maradona makes a mess of his life and is like a god there.

Made the final of their last three major tournaments, two of which they should have won if Higuain doesn't completely brick it, in the other WC played in his and their prime the team was managed was Maradona. A tad unfair.
Not really. If you want to claim greatest of all time status you can't have that kind of WC resume'. He's pretty obviously one of the greatest but the air gets pretty thin up there.

I see that the leader of the Greens, Richard Di Natale, is a Richmond supporter. Two big losses in two days?:D

I didn't realise that he went to Parade College(HSC 1987). That was three years before I started teaching there, so I can't be blamed for anything he says. :p

NBA just got a lot more boring (well, not for Warriors fans...)

But I mean just ugh. Seeing the same two teams in the finals for the next 5 years? That's not really an exciting prospect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back