Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what makes it even more interesting. What are the odds? What are the odds that Trump was picked as a president while in the same discussion (scene) Clinton was also pushing to be the "first, straight, female president"? What are the odds that this "first, straight, female president" character just so happens to wear the same coloured outfit as Clinton in her concession speech?
What are the odds that a guy could talk about grabbing someone by the pussy and weeks later be elected president?

Strange things happen. Life emerges on Earth. Bulldogs win premierships. Given enough tries eventually you'll make that 100-1 shot.

Excuse me for digging up a 20 day old post. Does anyone else see the symbolism:
- Notice to color of Lisa's outfit, the some color that Hillary wore at her concession speech. Blue (Republican) and Red (Democrat) make purple
- Trump is Lisa's (Hillary) predecessor
- America has economic collapse (Could be in tandem with next point)
- Trump's symbol (Bart) storms into office under struggle with SS agents (Could possibly mean civil unrest/war)
- Bart asks to be co-president, Lisa declines
- Third person "the uniter" will settle dispute. Pay close attention to the seal on the basket Marge is carrying, "President of the United States"

This is what I think will happen:
Trump is now the PEOTUS, Dec 19 the electoral college will appoint Clinton (who will be Trump's successor). Civil war will arise (Red vs Blue). The "Uniter", the current POTUS, will settle the dispute. The current POTUS will remain in WH based on the fact that Marge walked off still holding the seal of POTUS. There are other conclusions based on symbolism used in the election which I can make (about POTUS still being Obama) but they aren't drawn from this particular video, so I'll leave it at that.

What are the odds that a guy could talk about grabbing someone by the pussy and weeks later be elected president?

Strange things happen. Life emerges on Earth. Bulldogs win premierships. Given enough tries eventually you'll make that 100-1 shot.

The same odds this happens?

s-l300.jpg

Is it coincidence?

Consensual sex (albeit adulterous) =/= sexual assault

Despite that, neither of those things seen to make a difference to public opinion in the States. The research suggests that once people have made their decision (and they do so reasonably early), they are unlikely to shift it, even in light of scandals/unpopular policy decisions by the candidate.

Consensual sex (albeit adulterous) =/= sexual assault

Despite that, neither of those things seen to make a difference to public opinion in the States. The research suggests that once people have made their decision (and they do so reasonably early), they are unlikely to shift it, even in light of scandals/unpopular policy decisions by the candidate.
I'm not sure the Lewinsky and especially Flowers scandals were all that consensual. Amongst the several others.

Personally I think your assertion that it didn't matter much is insufficient. Trump took a massive hit to his popularity and in the polls when that video came out. But having a candidate possibly being jailed three to four days prior to the election probably "trumped" that. Further unfortunately Hilary had much of the same stink as Trump on this issue, her husband was a serial sex hound who has paid out of court settlements before. I think you can say "it didn't matter" had the opposition not been who they were. All you can really claim now is that it may not have mattered based on the research.

I'm not sure the Lewinsky and especially Flowers scandals were all that consensual. Amongst the several others.

Personally I think your assertion that it didn't matter much is insufficient. Trump took a massive hit to his popularity and in the polls when that video came out. But having a candidate possibly being jailed three to four days prior to the election probably "trumped" that. Further unfortunately Hilary had much of the same stink as Trump on this issue, her husband was a serial sex hound who has paid out of court settlements before. I think you can say "it didn't matter" had the opposition not been who they were. All you can really claim now is that it may not have mattered based on the research.
Wasn't going to happen. Announcing that 'some emails were found and we haven't looked at them but we're just letting you know' shouldn't have been harmful but the need for the media to make things a horse race and present 'balance' hurt her more than any actual wrongdoing in that last week. That and Anthony 'Danger' Weiner's name poping up in association with her (the penis that literally f**ked a nation)

Wasn't going to happen. Announcing that 'some emails were found and we haven't looked at them but we're just letting you know' shouldn't have been harmful but the need for the media to make things a horse race and present 'balance' hurt her more than any actual wrongdoing in that last week. That and Anthony 'Danger' Weiner's name poping up in association with her (the penis that literally f**ked a nation)
I'm not going to comment on whether or not it was going to happen but I find it interesting that Petraeus was almost jailed for a similar yet far less concerning governance issue.

Trump getting elected is nothing more than an indicator of sentiment that is reoccurring all over the world. In uncertain economic times where the gap between the well-off and the lowest income earners couldn't be larger, we're seeing a large scale revolt against status quo middle-left politics that's gotten far too comfortable in it's own skin over the years.

There's been a giant collapse in left wing sentiment across the whole of Western Europe aswell.

It's looking like the constitutional referendum in Italy introduced by its centre left prime minister will fail.

The left wing government in France has world record low approval ratings and the much preferred party in the polls over there is a heavily right-wing nationalist party that babbles on about exactly the same sort of stuff Trump does.

The whole of the Eurozone doesn't really seem confident in centralized economic management by the ECB anymore.

With all this in mind, why would the average American with a piss poor wage compared to just about every 'democrat' in Washington DC vote for wall street's baby in the election? Most of the Democratic Party getting handouts from Goldman Sachs are just as out of touch with the average American as Trump would be.

At least trump, despite being completely unrealistic with his rhetoric about returning manufacturing and export jobs to the US was trying to be nationalistic and inclusive of the actual real workers in the country.

One could also say that Tony Abbott's very successful election campaign came from the same sort of nationalistic rhetoric as trump's did, albeit with the volume turned down a touch.

Trump getting elected is nothing more than an indicator of sentiment that is reoccurring all over the world. In uncertain economic times where the gap between the well-off and the lowest income earners couldn't be larger, we're seeing a large scale revolt against status quo middle-left politics that's gotten far too comfortable in it's own skin over the years.

There's been a giant collapse in left wing sentiment across the whole of Western Europe aswell.

It's looking like the constitutional referendum in Italy introduced by its centre left prime minister will fail.

The left wing government in France has world record low approval ratings and the much preferred party in the polls over there is a heavily right-wing nationalist party that babbles on about exactly the same sort of stuff Trump does.

The whole of the Eurozone doesn't really seem confident in centralized economic management by the ECB anymore.

With all this in mind, why would the average American with a piss poor wage compared to just about every 'democrat' in Washington DC vote for wall street's baby in the election? Most of the Democratic Party getting handouts from Goldman Sachs are just as out of touch with the average American as Trump would be.

At least trump, despite being completely unrealistic with his rhetoric about returning manufacturing and export jobs to the US was trying to be nationalistic and inclusive of the actual real workers in the country.

One could also say that Tony Abbott's very successful election campaign came from the same sort of nationalistic rhetoric as trump's did, albeit with the volume turned down a touch.

Is it the failure of the Left or in most cases Centrist parties, or is it the false idea that democracy is capitalism?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it the failure of the Left or in most cases Centrist parties, or is it the false idea that democracy is capitalism?

You can point to a whole lot of things in each instance around the world but a swing further right is pretty much a worldwide trend in developed nations at the moment. Obviously a lot of these parties don't have the more capable leader at the helm that makes the most sense, which is the case for trump, but it just seems like the general population of these nations are fed up with middle-left politics and are voting to give the whole establishment a giant middle finger. So now we're having change for the sake of change.

When you look at the paid Wall Street bonus figures last year which were to the tune of 30 billion dollars and then look at the accumulated ACTUAL WAGE figures of US minimum wage earners of about 15 billion for the same time frame, you can understand why the average American wouldn't want to vote for a Wall Street sweetheart with her party getting funded by ******* Goldman. This is all 8 years after Wall Street got bailed out of their own stupidity by these same taxpayers.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not it was going to happen but I find it interesting that Petraeus was almost jailed for a similar yet far less concerning governance issue.
I'm talking about the second batch that came up after it was announced she would not be prosecuted. Whatever your thoughts on the actual scandal the 2nd batch was always clearly all smoke it it was probably what hurt the most.

Interestingly that's the situation Germany found itself in in the 30s.

Chomsky said back in 2009-10 that the left should not attack and mock the tea party but instead offer solutions to their problems. All they hear is guys like Limbough telling them it's the illegal immigrants taking their jerbs and blah blah blah. He may have been right as there seems to be real appetite and approval for Bernie's agenda (maybe with someone a bit younger) when you present the individual proposals while even Trumps supporters actually seem to not like a lot of his proposals when presented to them (the old selective 'well he didn't mean that one' I guess).

So if the Democrats were to offer solutions to the problems these people have and embrace a progressive agenda with a candidate with less baggage it wouldn't win over everyone (bible thumpers and people who are just too invested in their 'team') but it would probably be enough to get back the Rust Belt states that should be blue but flipped this year.

More specifically to your points I think you're right that people are sick of 'others' being put first. The others can be corporate interest but there's plenty who see others as minorities as well apparently.

So if the Democrats were to offer solutions to the problems these people have and embrace a progressive agenda with a candidate with less baggage it wouldn't win over everyone (bible thumpers and people who are just too invested in their 'team') but it would probably be enough to get back the Rust Belt states that should be blue but flipped this year.

More specifically to your points I think you're right that people are sick of 'others' being put first. The others can be corporate interest but there's plenty who see others as minorities as well apparently.

Your point about both Sanders and Trump and the Rust Belt is a good one. On the one hand pushing an idea that they will be bringing back large scale manufacturing jobs to the united states is completely ridiculous, considering all the big manufacturing and export powers like China and Germany are substituting labor for capital/machinery and have been for decades to increase productivity and keep workers safe. On the other hand, it at least reminds the people living in those states that the leader of their country is thinking about them, and a way to make things better for them by adding to infrastructure and increasing their wage. Sometimes that sort of acknowledgement and thought in policy can go a long way in getting votes.

You were also bang on about minorities and anti immigration. Right wing politics, no matter how far right, has always used that as a way to unite people and get large amounts of votes from the general population. We see it in Trump. We see it in Poland and France with huge nationalist followings. We even saw it here with Tony Abbott and his 'stop the boats' catchphrase getting far better election results than Turnbull did.

Left wing parties worldwide are having a really hard time convincing people that taking on immigrants and asylum seekers is a good idea. When a large portion of these populations no longer have enough money to buy a house, buy a car, have children, and provide for their families, the difficulty in convincing them they should be sharing their country with people from outside is understandable. Especially when the people doing the convincing are politicians that are paid very very handsomely for what they do.

Somehow a bird has got stuck behind my wall & I'm not sure what I should do. Seeing as I don't know how big the bird is or how it got in behind my wall. Any suggestions anyone?

I could do, I can't tell how old the bird is and don't really want to have a bird flying through my house & me trying to catch it.
Its already been in there over 10 hours now

I would call a pest removal business.

Trust me you do not want it dying there, your house will stink, blowflies will be everywhere and maggots crawling through into the house.

Somehow a bird has got stuck behind my wall & I'm not sure what I should do. Seeing as I don't know how big the bird is or how it got in behind my wall. Any suggestions anyone?

Good to see the conversation has steered away from politics and other controversial issues.

May I suggest the rapid-fire 7 shot Adler Shotgun be utilised through the plasterboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back