Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think we’ll stay up? Only seen a couple of our games this season and we’ve been very poor, I think we will struggle to turn it around.

Somewhat sad to see Slav go. Seems like a great man, very passionate and he loved the club. Not convinced he is a good coach (we’ve been pretty awful since Payet left and we’ve been leaking goals left and right) so probably the right call to move him on but David Moyes? Such an uninspired choice. He was great six years ago at Everton but has been a total failure at the three clubs since then. Maybe West Ham is the type of club for him (similar to Everton when Moyes took over them) but he doesn’t seem to be over the mental demons of his United stint.

This season was set up for failure though. They were looking at moving on Bilic in the off season, once it gets to that point it’s better to cut the cord because it’s not going to turn around. Whoever the replacement was would’ve given me far more hope than Moyes. Players deserve a lot of the blame too though, have had no motivation or passion in the games I’ve watched.

I'm already killing for next March. I know who the Doggies coach will be, I know who the players are...I've even met some of them unlike the gilded untouchable gods of soccer. I'm very grateful that our great game is only played in this land.

Yes. Talking to the players and coaches here is something people take for granted. I can not imagine getting to know people like Rocket and Crossy in the states. Both of them gained my admiration forever.

Do you think we’ll stay up? Only seen a couple of our games this season and we’ve been very poor, I think we will struggle to turn it around.

Somewhat sad to see Slav go. Seems like a great man, very passionate and he loved the club. Not convinced he is a good coach (we’ve been pretty awful since Payet left and we’ve been leaking goals left and right) so probably the right call to move him on but David Moyes? Such an uninspired choice. He was great six years ago at Everton but has been a total failure at the three clubs since then. Maybe West Ham is the type of club for him (similar to Everton when Moyes took over them) but he doesn’t seem to be over the mental demons of his United stint.

This season was set up for failure though. They were looking at moving on Bilic in the off season, once it gets to that point it’s better to cut the cord because it’s not going to turn around. Whoever the replacement was would’ve given me far more hope than Moyes. Players deserve a lot of the blame too though, have had no motivation or passion in the games I’ve watched.

Slav was a good bloke but he lost the team when Payet left.

I think that when coaches in soccer lose their magic touch, they rarely turn it around. It's a bit like when Rocket Eade went to Gold Coast. He inherited a mess and even though he's a good coach, he's out of touch with the current generation. I can't see Moyes working. He might even be gone before the end of the season.

Players play for money in the premier league. They're mercenaries. Few have any connection to the club. When the s**t goes down, they still get paid. They need something to bring them together. Too many half arsed slackers at West Ham.

I think we'll go down. Not pessimistic, just realistic.

I'm one of the many West Ham fans who has no interest in the stadium move. The suburb of West Ham is very like Footscray. It's just out of the city, but you get out of the tube station and walk through a diverse multicultural working class suburb with groceries from all over the world. Past the pubs and into the crumbling but homely old stadium. Progress is bullshit. Selling your soul for a $$$. (or a pound sign)

10 straight now for the Celtics!

Aussie Aaron Baynes absolutely killed it today, most points for only the 4th time in his career.

Did it without Al Horford, Jayson Tatum for 90% of the match and Hayward, obviously :'(

Trying to watch the socceroos , hard work , boring as all get out.:eek:
Now off to watch the trees grow outside

Just saw on Ch 9 sports that the horse Gingernuts was scratched from its race today. However, the scroll underneath the footage on the TV screen read Gingerguts. Deaf people would be quite confused. And how could the real name be allowed? Lol

Gotta be loving the Wolves dannnnnn.

Get a feeling they’ll make a splash at the deadline as well. Another 3 n D guy would be nice.
I’m pretty happy with how we’re tracking. Started poorly but Warriors game aside we’re startibg to build some cohesion, particularly defensively. Our switching is unrecognisable (in a good way) from that of the past few years and all of our acquisitions have slotted in nicely.

Definitely need a 3&D wing but we don’t have a lot of assets or space. Need to find a way to clear Gorgui’s contract but he’s not helping our cause with his early poor form.

Slav was a good bloke but he lost the team when Payet left.

I think that when coaches in soccer lose their magic touch, they rarely turn it around. It's a bit like when Rocket Eade went to Gold Coast. He inherited a mess and even though he's a good coach, he's out of touch with the current generation. I can't see Moyes working. He might even be gone before the end of the season.

Players play for money in the premier league. They're mercenaries. Few have any connection to the club. When the s**t goes down, they still get paid. They need something to bring them together. Too many half arsed slackers at West Ham.

I think we'll go down. Not pessimistic, just realistic.

I'm one of the many West Ham fans who has no interest in the stadium move. The suburb of West Ham is very like Footscray. It's just out of the city, but you get out of the tube station and walk through a diverse multicultural working class suburb with groceries from all over the world. Past the pubs and into the crumbling but homely old stadium. Progress is bullshit. Selling your soul for a $$$. (or a pound sign)

I’ve watched them a few times this year they look like a team with zero direction and bringing on a guy like Moyes is baffling.

He is known for tactical and formation weaknesses and that exactly what the Hammers need now.

I’m with you I can’t see them recovering this year but it omits takes 4-5 good games on a row to change a season.

I’m pretty happy with how we’re tracking. Started poorly but Warriors game aside we’re startibg to build some cohesion, particularly defensively. Our switching is unrecognisable (in a good way) from that of the past few years and all of our acquisitions have slotted in nicely.

Definitely need a 3&D wing but we don’t have a lot of assets or space. Need to find a way to clear Gorgui’s contract but he’s not helping our cause with his early poor form.
They’ve done a typical wolves stutter yesterday against the suns. Frustrating lapses. They just look plain lost at times. A long way to go still but should absolutely make playoffs or shut the doors forever.

They’ve done a typical wolves stutter yesterday against the suns. Frustrating lapses. They just look plain lost at times. A long way to go still but should absolutely make playoffs or shut the doors forever.
Yeah yesterday was a disgrace. Despite our long history of shitting the bed yesterday was the worst example I've seen I reckon.

We've got a lot of talent but some real issues to work through. Number 1 is Towns' defence. The Bjelica/Gibson frontcourt yesterday was a better unit than Gibson/Towns for that reason. It's diabolical and not improving. Starting to get a bit worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got a lot of talent but some real issues to work through. Number 1 is Towns' defence. The Bjelica/Gibson frontcourt yesterday was a better unit than Gibson/Towns for that reason. It's diabolical and not improving. Starting to get a bit worried.

Funnily enough towns has the best defensive rating out of your whole team that gets any sort of minutes. His inability to help and anchor a defense at the 5 spot does definitely hurt the team though for sure.

Funnily enough towns has the best defensive rating out of your whole team that gets any sort of minutes. His inability to help and anchor a defense at the 5 spot does definitely hurt the team though for sure.
I think part of the DRtg is because the other starters (Teague aside) play with the second unit more. We've subbed Towns for Dieng early pretty consistently from what I've seen; generally Wiggins, Butler and Gibson spend a bit more time mopping up the defensive cluster* that is the Bazz and Jamal combo. :p It's still surprising though.

The help D is more what I'm talking about though. He gets dragged constantly. Just doesn't seem to know where he should be. His effort's normally there unlike a Wiggins who fluctuates, but he just looks...confused.

I think part of the DRtg is because the other starters (Teague aside) play with the second unit more. We've subbed Towns for Dieng early pretty consistently from what I've seen; generally Wiggins, Butler and Gibson spend a bit more time mopping up the defensive cluster**** that is the Bazz and Jamal combo. :p It's still surprising though.

The help D is more what I'm talking about though. He gets dragged constantly. Just doesn't seem to know where he should be. His effort's normally there unlike a Wiggins who fluctuates, but he just looks...confused.

Wiggins should be a better defender considering the athlete he is and the coach he has. There isn't really an excuse there other than lack of effort.

Young centers can take years to learn that side of the floor. Kanter probably started from the worst defensive base I've seen and finally 6 years later he's not a liability. Okafor will never have any clue. Towns is starting from a higher base than those two. Once he can anchor the paint, the wins will pile up.

Playing Medieval 2 Total War again after a while and I just fell in love again with the Dismounted Dvor.

I was up against 3 Polish stacks mostly consisting of Polish Nobles (mounted and dismounted) and a few archers, a catapult and the odd militia and their King, outnumbered 5 to 1 due to my reinforcements being slow. My army consisted of 2 dismounted Boyars Son, 2 Dhruzina (sp?), 1 mounted Boyar, 2 spears, a general, a ballista and 3 dismounted Dvor all as green as grass.

My army was caught in what you'd call a perfect storm. Surrounded by Poles on three sides and I wasn't willing to withdraw and lose an opportunity to wipe out the Poles once and for all, having taken all their Eastern territories (Halych, Thorn, Warsaw) and pressing hard on Prague much to the annoyance of the HRE.

I set up a defensive position with my Boyars providing cover for my Dvor to mow down their Nobles with their arrows and my Spears covering my Balista which targeted any massing Polish troops. I had my Dhruzina cover my flanks to prevent any flanking moves and my Boyars harass any units unsupported by their archers and cav.

All started pretty well with the Poles massing their infantry while trying to harass me with their Nobles and 1 Xbow cav only to find themselves shot to bits by my Dvor and Ballista. Then their infantry charged en masse only to be counter charged by my infantry and in a quick move before their cav and generals could react my Dhruzina, mounted Boyars and my own General smashed into the rear and sides of this, the first of two @ 1600 strong infantry force that met my army. Needless to say they melted the captain of that army was killed by my General in his charge and though I lost my Dhruzina to his King and a few remaining Nobles.

Now came the second battle with another huge infantry force. This one unlike the last had some artillery and some xbows covering them more and needless to say I felt that I had become outmatched by this force. It was at this point that the enemy King charged my infantry line and was killed by a very depleted spear unit. Even with this my infantry started to waver so I pulled my general (who was badly beaten up) and my 3 healthy but nearly arrowless Dvor back to a slight hill and was ready to have them die like Spartans at Thermopylae. It was then I noticed a couple of thing, one my reinforcing army consisting of mostly elite cav several generals and shock troops was about to arrive and my Dvor where taking hundreds upon hundreds of Poles with them and just wouldn't break at all. All of them fought until only a handful remained and protected my bloodied general for enough time to allow him to meet up with my elite army which mowed down the remaining severely weakened Polish force.

One of the funnest and biggest swinging battles that I've played in the game.

Also had a funny moment toward the end where the Polish King's one remaining bodyguard was chasing my bloodied general (his bodyguard where all dead by this point) everywhere. He must have been wanting to get revenge for his king I guess :p

Playing Medieval 2 Total War again after a while and I just fell in love again with the Dismounted Dvor.

I was up against 3 Polish stacks mostly consisting of Polish Nobles (mounted and dismounted) and a few archers, a catapult and the odd militia and their King, outnumbered 5 to 1 due to my reinforcements being slow. My army consisted of 2 dismounted Boyars Son, 2 Dhruzina (sp?), 1 mounted Boyar, 2 spears, a general, a ballista and 3 dismounted Dvor all as green as grass.

My army was caught in what you'd call a perfect storm. Surrounded by Poles on three sides and I wasn't willing to withdraw and lose an opportunity to wipe out the Poles once and for all, having taken all their Eastern territories (Halych, Thorn, Warsaw) and pressing hard on Prague much to the annoyance of the HRE.

I set up a defensive position with my Boyars providing cover for my Dvor to mow down their Nobles with their arrows and my Spears covering my Balista which targeted any massing Polish troops. I had my Dhruzina cover my flanks to prevent any flanking moves and my Boyars harass any units unsupported by their archers and cav.

All started pretty well with the Poles massing their infantry while trying to harass me with their Nobles and 1 Xbow cav only to find themselves shot to bits by my Dvor and Ballista. Then their infantry charged en masse only to be counter charged by my infantry and in a quick move before their cav and generals could react my Dhruzina, mounted Boyars and my own General smashed into the rear and sides of this, the first of two @ 1600 strong infantry force that met my army. Needless to say they melted the captain of that army was killed by my General in his charge and though I lost my Dhruzina to his King and a few remaining Nobles.

Now came the second battle with another huge infantry force. This one unlike the last had some artillery and some xbows covering them more and needless to say I felt that I had become outmatched by this force. It was at this point that the enemy King charged my infantry line and was killed by a very depleted spear unit. Even with this my infantry started to waver so I pulled my general (who was badly beaten up) and my 3 healthy but nearly arrowless Dvor back to a slight hill and was ready to have them die like Spartans at Thermopylae. It was then I noticed a couple of thing, one my reinforcing army consisting of mostly elite cav several generals and shock troops was about to arrive and my Dvor where taking hundreds upon hundreds of Poles with them and just wouldn't break at all. All of them fought until only a handful remained and protected my bloodied general for enough time to allow him to meet up with my elite army which mowed down the remaining severely weakened Polish force.

One of the funnest and biggest swinging battles that I've played in the game.

Also had a funny moment toward the end where the Polish King's one remaining bodyguard was chasing my bloodied general (his bodyguard where all dead by this point) everywhere. He must have been wanting to get revenge for his king I guess :p
Get the 7.2 mod if you like Napoleon total war. Muskets and cannons are awesome :D

Happy to do an online battle or two. :D

Yeah yesterday was a disgrace. Despite our long history of shitting the bed yesterday was the worst example I've seen I reckon.

You just know that Bjelica is gonna end up on the spurs and average 17 points a game shooting 45% from 3.

You just know that Bjelica is gonna end up on the spurs and average 17 points a game shooting 45% from 3.
Yeah his form's simultaneously brilliant and a bloody nightmare for us. Outside the core three he's easily the most important player on the roster. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to pay him.

How do people think Australia will line up for the first test?

My team would be

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell
7. Bancroft (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

Maxwell is a risk at 6 but there isn't really anyone pushing for a spot. Thought he batted well in India. I like Cartwright too, he just looks like a batsman and his first class form has been pretty good the past couple of years. From what I've seen of Lehmann.

Have Bancroft as the keeper. Have only seen him keep in the T20I he played and he looked ok. I'm not really concerned about having a gun keeper, they all make mistakes but I want my number 7 making runs which both Nevill and Wade have struggled to do. If Bancroft keeps like Handscomb does then we'd need an actual keeper to play, but hopefully he's ok behind the stumps. Bairstow is a fairly ordinary keeper too but the runs are more important to me.

Think most people would have that bowling attack. I'd have Behrendoorf next in.

My team would be

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell
7. Bancroft (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

Maxwell is a risk at 6 but there isn't really anyone pushing for a spot. Thought he batted well in India. I like Cartwright too, he just looks like a batsman and his first class form has been pretty good the past couple of years. From what I've seen of Lehmann.

Have Bancroft as the keeper. Have only seen him keep in the T20I he played and he looked ok. I'm not really concerned about having a gun keeper, they all make mistakes but I want my number 7 making runs which both Nevill and Wade have struggled to do. If Bancroft keeps like Handscomb does then we'd need an actual keeper to play, but hopefully he's ok behind the stumps. Bairstow is a fairly ordinary keeper too but the runs are more important to me.

Maxwell doesn’t expect to be picked. Cartwright most likely.

My team would be

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell
7. Bancroft (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

Bancroft is in the realm of Handscomb in terms of keeping skills from what I've heard. Maybe somewhere between Handscomb and Wade.

I'd pick Cartwright at 6. Nevill to keep and Bancroft to open in place of Renshaw who is horribly out of form. The rest picks itself.

Bancroft cracked another 160 n.o. today, he's in some form atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back