MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember watching Danger walk off the ground after we unceremoniously dumped them out of the first week of finals. He even walked like a flog. Him, Jack Riewoldt and Rancid are the biggest flogs in the game. No surprise they were all involved in AFLX

I remember watching Danger walk off the ground after we unceremoniously dumped them out of the first week of finals. He even walked like a flog. Him, Jack Riewoldt and Rancid are the biggest flogs in the game. No surprise they were all involved in AFLX
He acted like a flog when they won that final against Hawthorn. Come to think of it, anyone at Geelong acts like a Flog, Guthrie the prime example

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I didn't watch any, but went with 'confected' for added saccharine.
I watched the lot. I think I did anyway. I drank a fair bit so the detail of a good amount of the second half escaped me somewhat.

Doesn’t work as a TV sport whatsoever. Even if the commentators had some clear notion of the rules which they clearly didn’t, and the players involved weren’t much better off as far as I can make out. But it’s not for TV at all - no contest visible so you can’t invest in any team. Plus the smaller dimensions plus zero contest on the mark gave the vague impression of dozens of guys spearing 60 plus metre kicks that kept hitting the target. Amazing until you realise it’s a kick to kick session on a very small ground with zero contest. As a family day for under fives with bubbles and rock climbing it could be a winner for all I know - if so maybe change the scheduling to avoid the GRAND FINAL at 10:30 PM. If it’s a kid friendly concept at heart then it should be played during the day. And skip it as a TV concept. It’s nowhere near suitable.

If the media succeeds in making the drug policy harsher and players end up getting suspended for extended periods of time for illicit drug use it will be a disaster. When Dustin Martin or Buddy Franklin or any other star gets suspended for taking a pill or smoking a joint on a Wednesday night the outcry will be insane. We would be making our game worse for a completely arbitrary reason. Unless they're taking something performance enhancing it shouldn't matter what they're putting in their body if they're not hurting anyone.

But the media pressure on this issue is rising, and the AFL will cave, as they always do, and the game will suffer for it.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Jack Stevens taking a break from the game due to mental health, hopefully he has a quick recovery and he will get on the field this year.

Jack Stevens taking a break from the game due to mental health, hopefully he has a quick recovery and he will get on the field this year.
Horrendous timing all things considered.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the media succeeds in making the drug policy harsher and players end up getting suspended for extended periods of time for illicit drug use it will be a disaster. When Dustin Martin or Buddy Franklin or any other star gets suspended for taking a pill or smoking a joint on a Wednesday night the outcry will be insane. We would be making our game worse for a completely arbitrary reason. Unless they're taking something performance enhancing it shouldn't matter what they're putting in their body if they're not hurting anyone.

But the media pressure on this issue is rising, and the AFL will cave, as they always do, and the game will suffer for it.

Won't somebody think of the children.Simpsons.meme

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
You’ve been lurking again, haven’t you?
It was more based on the President last year saying they were Top4 quality, but I did just happen to have a sneaky look at the general feel for their season.

Good news, apparently there is a “different feel about the place this season” ... so premiership is confirmed.

Most are somewhat realistic about their chances, sitting in somewhere in the bottom half ... tho some think they’re a good chance to sneak in the 8, while a very select few think they’ll catch everyone by surprise and he right up there in or around Top 4.

Enthralling reading actually

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It was more based on the President last year saying they were Top4 quality, but I did just happen to have a sneaky look at the general feel for their season.

Good news, apparently there is a “different feel about the place this season” ... so premiership is confirmed.

Most are somewhat realistic about their chances, sitting in somewhere in the bottom half ... tho some think they’re a good chance to sneak in the 8, while a very select few think they’ll catch everyone by surprise and he right up there in or around Top 4.

Enthralling reading actually
Yeah. The Top 4 comment imo was a massive mistake and I honestly would have melted down the old membership card on that basis alone.

I’m not noted for accurate footy predictions but I had them in trouble this year, before missing key personnel very recently. The loss of Riewoldt and Montagna left holes that haven’t been filled since. Not in structure or confidence, or genuine high quality experience. Plus all the most optimistic predictions are predicated on the sudden rise of about 5 players to A-Grade status, which just doesn’t happen. Not with 5 or 6 young players simultaneously. Two is a luxury - and the flip side is there are another two that you thought showed promise in this or that moment who backslide towards delisting.

Whatever happens though, I’m planning to save myself the fury so I’ll pencil them in to beat us at least once this year. It will save time

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Yeah. The Top 4 comment imo was a massive mistake and I honestly would have melted down the old membership card on that basis alone.

I’m not noted for accurate footy predictions but I had them in trouble this year, before missing key personnel very recently. The loss of Riewoldt and Montagna left holes that haven’t been filled since. Not in structure or confidence, or genuine high quality experience. Plus all the most optimistic predictions are predicated on the sudden rise of about 5 players to A-Grade status, which just doesn’t happen. Not with 5 or 6 young players simultaneously. Two is a luxury - and the flip side is there are another two that you thought showed promise in this or that moment who backslide towards delisting.

Whatever happens though, I’m planning to save myself the fury so I’ll pencil them in to beat us at least once this year. It will save time
The worst thing about the Top4 comment to me, is that it was made midseason when they’d won only a game or two, what good was possibly going to come of that? Were their fans expect to take heart in their season from there, because the Pres thinks they've got a much better list than their performances?

They really are just a very unremarkable list, Steven is their only star player, and he's more of a good honest battler anyway, particularly when it comes to kicking it, Seb Ross is supposed to be a midfield gun, but I still can't tell the difference between him and Jack Newnes, and I hardly notice him/them when watching them play. Then they've got this laundry list of players who were supposed to form the crux of their next successful team, like Dunstan, Acres, Lonie, Newnes, Sinclair etc, who haven't really improved much past showing some potential early on. I do really like Gresham, Steele and Coffield, but they still look a fair way away from coming close to challenging any time soon ... or at least not close enough for Richardson (who I also find as mind numbingly boring on 360 as I find their playing list) to still have a job at the end of the season ... so yeah, lock them in for a win against us this year.

Fair dinkum if we lose to the saints this year when they’ll likely have a worse 22 than our last outing vs them we might as well pack it up for 2019.
Most good teams have a surprise loss or two

This article pretty much sums up my thoughts.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...on-footballers-and-drugs-20190227-p510jm.html

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thoughts on the round 1 matchups outside ours?

Carlton v Richmond

This is traditionally closer than people expect and I reckon that'll continue in 2019, Tigers by 3-4 goals but never seriously challenged. Dusty back to his best.

Collingwood v Geelong at the MCG, 7.50pm AEDT

Pies in a close one, they're a better side than Geelong.

Adelaide v Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT

Crows start off the year with a bang, 50+ victory.

Western Bulldogs v Sydney at Marvel Stadium, 7.25pm AEDT

One of the closer games of the round IMO, with Buddy likely to miss I think the Dogs get up in a very tight one. Dogs 3pt winners

Brisbane v West Coast at the Gabba, 7.20pm AEST

Lions will improve but still don't think they'll get the Eagles who normally dispatch of all the bottom 6 sides pretty easily. Eagles by 25

St Kilda v Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT

This game is a lot more interesting with Hannerbery/Carlisle and potentially Steven out. Jungle drums will be beating for Richo if the Saints can't get up here but I just can't see the Suns doing it with such an inexperienced side. Saints by 15pt.

Greater Western Sydney v Essendon at Spotless Stadium, 3.20pm AEDT

Match of the round in terms of quality, I'm really struggling to pick a winner here. Both sides can turn in a stinker when physically challenged, I'm tipping the Giants purely because its up there.

Fremantle v North Melbourne, Optus Stadium, 3.20pm AWST

No-one will care but this is another close game IMO. North by 5pt.

Reckon Richmond will absolutely spank the Blues. They're in for another year of pain, judging by their injury list on top of a still mediocre playing list.

Collingwood should do Geelong by a bit as well, though they did start slow last year too.

Reckon the Crows are still too reliant on too few. Think they will do the job at home, but by a few goals. Hawthorn has pluck.

No idea which way this one would go. Could see both teams on the edge of the four, or out of contention by mid-season. A kick in it either way. The Dogs I guess.

Brisbane will be better this year, but the Premiers isn't an easy start. WCE to kick away late.

Think the Suns will beat the Saints by a bit. They've made some list changes and lost two good players, but ultimately they started this season okay and have quite a few seasoned bodies in there to protect the younger, more talented ones.

Essendon should start the year strong, but GWS has a point to prove this year. Going the Bombers because of the ruck mismatch.

Freo should be brighter this year, which generally translates to solid home form in WA. Back them by three goals.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton should be premiers going on all puff pieces about the muscle their draftees have put on. Throwing steel around doesn't mean your automatically a better footballer

One of my favourite pastimes on this board is our shitting on Carlton sessions :D

They’ve been talked up a ridiculous amount for a 2 win side. I’ll be very surprised if they go over 4 wins in 2019.

Back