MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Topkent having another emotional moment about how good 80s and 90s footy was
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Answer me this question board? How does a 2 win side from the year previous break it's membership record before the season starts this year?

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Answer me this question board? How does a 2 win side from the year previous break it's membership record before the season starts this year?
Thats the delusion of Carlton's fan base talking. They've been hyping themselves up with Walsh and their young list all summer, and now that they followed up with two not horrible JLT performances, they've collectively agreed that they're set now, and they're next in line to play/win a GF.

Not sure how they'll talk themselves into it next year when their top 4 pick goes to Adelaide.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Thats the delusion of Carlton's fan base talking. They've been hyping themselves up with Walsh and their young list all summer, and now that they followed up with two not horrible JLT performances, they've collectively agreed that they're set now, and they're next in line to play/win a GF.

Not sure how they'll talk themselves into it next year when their top 4 pick goes to Adelaide.
I can pretty much predict how it will go next year. They will go full defensive and claim that the trade can’t be assessed for win/loss until some later point - 5 years, 10 years etc.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t like Carlton but I think it reflects well on the club and supporter base. It’s the opposite of Richmond where the supporters vanish during the tough times then they break their membership record the year after they win a flag from out of nowhere.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Gonna put my neck out an say that North are the dark horse for finals IMO.
They have really good senior spine that rival anyones spine.
Thompson, Tarrant, Goldstein,Cunnington, Wood, Brown is pretty blood good.
They have Ziebell who was almost an AA half forward an then a smattering of good players all over the field. For the prices they paid Hall, Tyson and Polec were amazing business an I reckon 12 wins is very much possible for them

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’d be surprised if McCartin continues too - horror preseason for the Saints

McCartin reminds me of Kosi in his sheer lack of awareness. I know Topkent will agree with me on this, kids aren’t trained to deal with contact these days. I’m in my late 20s and am a pretty damn average footballer but I’ve always been good at protecting myself, guys like Viney and Selwood are very good at it but someone like McCartin just has no idea what’s around him and how he should position his body.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
McCartin reminds me of Kosi in his sheer lack of awareness. I know Topkent will agree with me on this, kids aren’t trained to deal with contact these days. I’m in my late 20s and am a pretty damn average footballer but I’ve always been good at protecting myself, guys like Viney and Selwood are very good at it but someone like McCartin just has no idea what’s around him and how he should position his body.

The way some of the kids drafted now will pick up the ball and then duck their head into an oncoming player to win a high free is frightening. I know the game will never go back to Byron Picketts days but no was throwing their head forward into him.

I wont argue the merits of whether or not May should be suspended again but when I played footy as well schmuttt if I was Berry I would have turned into May with my shoulder and we would have bumped each other.. or if was being a bitch I would have gone around him.

I think the perfect example of old school vs new school was Hodge vs Heppell last year, one bloke new how to protect himself the other had no idea what was coming.

McCartin has no idea how to lead with his shoulder to protect his head

How often do you see 2 guys contesting a ball both bump into each other? Almost never because the AFL says you should both go head first for the ball and the bloke who turns his shoulder to protect himself is at risk of suspension.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Dangerfield early days was another that had no idea how to protect himself, remember the Trengove tackle on him?

I remember that so well because I added twitter just to bitch about that tribunal decision and Fitzy who is a crows suppoter tweeted me saying how bullshit the decision was as well lol

Gonna put my neck out an say that North are the dark horse for finals IMO.
They have really good senior spine that rival anyones spine.
Thompson, Tarrant, Goldstein,Cunnington, Wood, Brown is pretty blood good.
They have Ziebell who was almost an AA half forward an then a smattering of good players all over the field. For the prices they paid Hall, Tyson and Polec were amazing business an I reckon 12 wins is very much possible for them
Not a bad call, people where stating how average they'd be last year, but they just compete so well. It's like Brad Scott just knows how to a competitive spirit out his team. But anyway they came in 9th last year which isn't bad with a considered 'nowhere list'.

Some of the popular predictions last year
North = meh (comes 9th)
Weagles = Spoon (wins premiership)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not a bad call, people where stating how average they'd be last year, but they just compete so well. It's like Brad Scott just knows how to a competitive spirit out his team. But anyway they came in 9th last year which isn't bad with a considered 'nowhere list'.

Some of the popular predictions last year
North = meh (comes 9th)
Weagles = Spoon (wins premiership)

I think Brad Scott is the current most underrated coach in the league. His North teams have punched above their weight every season an he took a fairly average side to 2 prelims an was somehow s**t on for that for building a nearly ran side. But wasn't he just doing what every coach should be doing an trying to win the flag? I doubt Carlton would still be bottom 4 if they had him instead of 'Its a learning process' and '1 step back to go forward' Bolton

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I think at this stage it is probably too late to be addressed. I get the impression that while he made an impact as a junior where his size and bulk would have given him some advantage, in the AFL system he no longer has any. As a key forward he isn’t especially tall, nor is he quick, nor is he particularly nimble. His movement getting to marking position doesn’t stand out amongst other key forwards either. I suspect that his physical deficiencies tend to incline him to recklessness to break even, and his lack of technique is going to continue to land him in trouble.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The way some of the kids drafted now will pick up the ball and then duck their head into an oncoming player to win a high free is frightening. I know the game will never go back to Byron Picketts days but no was throwing their head forward into him.

I wont argue the merits of whether or not May should be suspended again but when I played footy as well schmuttt if I was Berry I would have turned into May with my shoulder and we would have bumped each other.. or if was being a bitch I would have gone around him.

I think the perfect example of old school vs new school was Hodge vs Heppell last year, one bloke new how to protect himself the other had no idea what was coming.

McCartin has no idea how to lead with his shoulder to protect his head

How often do you see 2 guys contesting a ball both bump into each other? Almost never because the AFL says you should both go head first for the ball and the bloke who turns his shoulder to protect himself is at risk of suspension.

Another example

I think at this stage it is probably too late to be addressed. I get the impression that while he made an impact as a junior where his size and bulk would have given him some advantage, in the AFL system he no longer has any. As a key forward he isn’t especially tall, nor is he quick, nor is he particularly nimble. His movement getting to marking position doesn’t stand out amongst other key forwards either. I suspect that his physical deficiencies tend to incline him to recklessness to break even, and his lack of technique is going to continue to land him in trouble.

I actually don’t mind the saints but he is a spud. Average kick for goal, average mark and isn’t big enough to
play KPF in the modern game. Factoring in the concussion on top of that and he is basically cooked.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Another example

I actually don’t mind the saints but he is a spud. Average kick for goal, average mark and isn’t big enough to
play KPF in the modern game. Factoring in the concussion on top of that and he is basically cooked.

For mine Dan Hannebury has collected the ball perfectly there and Hurley has left himself in a vulnerable position.
The AFL wants to say that's hanneburys fault for bumping but that's hurleys fault all day every day.
Tom Harley 'he chose to bump' like did this moron actually play?
Listen to Leigh as he watches it immediately back off that statement.

If Hannebury goes in the same way as Hurley he risks his own career when they clash heads like Rance an Selwood all those years back

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Funnily enough, his concussion issues will actually prolong his career provided he the doesn’t pack it in. His disjointed game time means they’ll stick with him, claiming he just needs a good run at it to make it, when in actual fact, he’s just a bog average player completely out of his depth

I think Brad Scott is the current most underrated coach in the league. His North teams have punched above their weight every season an he took a fairly average side to 2 prelims an was somehow s**t on for that for building a nearly ran side. But wasn't he just doing what every coach should be doing an trying to win the flag? I doubt Carlton would still be bottom 4 if they had him instead of 'Its a learning process' and '1 step back to go forward' Bolton

Pretty much agree. The knock on Scott is that he hasn't built a flag list in 10 years as North's coach. He's drafted some young talent in the last couple of years whilst remaining competitive, but now the test is to integrate McKay/Durdin into a defence with two experienced KPDs that hold the side up. McKay and Durdin have waited three years without getting much of a chance and they need some senior footy. Bolton is taking the Dean Bailey approach, which might work given the amount of talent it's allowing them to get through the doors, but you'd hope the kids aren't starting their careers thinking it's fine to lose game after game. As we know, it's hard to lose that habit.

He's got great endurance and sticky hands though. All his best games at AFL level, particularly in the wet against us a few years ago, have been built around running all day and burning his man. He's probably more of a Tom Lynch from Adelaide, when Richardson wants him to be the other Tom Lynch.

Back