MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pretty much agree. The knock on Scott is that he hasn't built a flag list in 10 years as North's coach. He's drafted some young talent in the last couple of years whilst remaining competitive, but now the test is to integrate McKay/Durdin into a defence with two experienced KPDs that hold the side up. McKay and Durdin have waited three years without getting much of a chance and they need some senior footy. Bolton is taking the Dean Bailey approach, which might work given the amount of talent it's allowing them to get through the doors, but you'd hope the kids aren't starting their careers thinking it's fine to lose game after game. As we know, it's hard to lose that habit.

He's got great endurance and sticky hands though. All his best games at AFL level, particularly in the wet against us a few years ago, have been built around running all day and burning his man. He's probably more of a Tom Lynch from Adelaide, when Richardson wants him to be the other Tom Lynch.

Wow I cant believe its been 10 years, thats probably not good enough however I dont think its because hes a bad coach.
You could argue that his prelim sides maybe topped up too early and should have built though the draft longer but I think once you make the 8 its incumbent on any good coach to push for the flag. They clearly thought they had a chance but they were only a middling side in terms of talent yet he won cut throat finals both years.
Objectively both were very good coaching years.
I dont think he has had the assets other coaches have had. Goodwin has been able to develop 4 players taken before pick 5 in the draft, Scotts had 1.
I also think North Melbourne traditionally havent been able to attract any really high profile trades either so he hasnt had the luxury of adding Frawley/Burgoyne/Lake/Mitchell/Omeara etc or Danger/Henderson/Touhy/Dahlhaus etc up until this trade period.

I think Hall, Tyson and Polec were all brilliant deals for where they are in their development. Imagine Carltons midfield with those 3 players instead of just chucking more kids in you could guarantee they would help facilitate the development of Walsh and co with less pressure on their shoulder.

Dumont/Durdin/Wood/Turner/Mckay/Mcdonald/Ahern they have some reasonable young talent around. I think this list stands a better shot than the last one he took to the prelims.

They might not have the best of any group, but they dont have any real weaknesses either. Im mostly a fan of how Scott gets them to always play to win, if Goodwin turned out to flop I think we could do worse than giving Scott a go

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow I cant believe its been 10 years, thats probably not good enough however I dont think its because hes a bad coach.
You could argue that his prelim sides maybe topped up too early and should have built though the draft longer but I think once you make the 8 its incumbent on any good coach to push for the flag. They clearly thought they had a chance but they were only a middling side in terms of talent yet he won cut throat finals both years.
Objectively both were very good coaching years.
I dont think he has had the assets other coaches have had. Goodwin has been able to develop 4 players taken before pick 5 in the draft, Scotts had 1.
I also think North Melbourne traditionally havent been able to attract any really high profile trades either so he hasnt had the luxury of adding Frawley/Burgoyne/Lake/Mitchell/Omeara etc or Danger/Henderson/Touhy/Dahlhaus etc up until this trade period.

I think Hall, Tyson and Polec were all brilliant deals for where they are in their development. Imagine Carltons midfield with those 3 players instead of just chucking more kids in you could guarantee they would help facilitate the development of Walsh and co with less pressure on their shoulder.

Dumont/Durdin/Wood/Turner/Mckay/Mcdonald/Ahern they have some reasonable young talent around. I think this list stands a better shot than the last one he took to the prelims.

They might not have the best of any group, but they dont have any real weaknesses either. Im mostly a fan of how Scott gets them to always play to win, if Goodwin turned out to flop I think we could do worse than giving Scott a go
Yeah, I can’t really fault Brad Scott as a coach either. His prelim list actually reminded me a lot of our teams under Daniher. A good top half dozen players, an ok dozen after that, but not really the quality that you need for a premiership team. And he got them to perform a lot more consistently than we did under Daniher.

If they knew what they would have in Ben Brown, I bet they would have done the NDS, Waite etc period differently. Imagine if the resources they used on those guys went into early draft picks. They would have a very good team now. As it is they still have an ok one. North develop players well and they have a strong culture. Even all these years after their last premiership they still punch above their weight and are always competitive.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The way some of the kids drafted now will pick up the ball and then duck their head into an oncoming player to win a high free is frightening. I know the game will never go back to Byron Picketts days but no was throwing their head forward into him.

I wont argue the merits of whether or not May should be suspended again but when I played footy as well schmuttt if I was Berry I would have turned into May with my shoulder and we would have bumped each other.. or if was being a bitch I would have gone around him.

I think the perfect example of old school vs new school was Hodge vs Heppell last year, one bloke new how to protect himself the other had no idea what was coming.

McCartin has no idea how to lead with his shoulder to protect his head

How often do you see 2 guys contesting a ball both bump into each other? Almost never because the AFL says you should both go head first for the ball and the bloke who turns his shoulder to protect himself is at risk of suspension.

Hodge looked around quickly before going that ball so he knew he'd be getting contact coming from straight in front and knew wtf was coming. i bet Heppell just focused on chasing that ball like a dog does no idea what is around but has to get that ball. no vision at all from most now its just see ball get ball not in a good way

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hogan not eligible for selection because he got pissed and missed training, they've said this is because he suffers from clinical anxiety. No time frame on when he will be considered to play.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hogan not eligible for selection because he got pissed and missed training, they've said this is because he suffers from clinical anxiety. No time frame on when he will be considered to play.

seriously how long is the drug strikes penalty? bloke was ****ed off his face again at RHCP weekly thing since being in perth and mates keep bumping into him not sure if he was like that in melbourne

Last edited:

fishyyyyy

Rookie
Sep 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne

I mean, as someone who really does live with clinical anxiety - it's entirely possible. God knows how many times I dealt with everything by getting blackout drunk. It shuts the anxiety up.

But if this is just a cover for drug strikes - bugger off, us anxious types have enough problems without worrying that everyone thinks we secret drug issues!

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mean, as someone who really does live with clinical anxiety - it's entirely possible. God knows how many times I dealt with everything by getting blackout drunk. It shuts the anxiety up.

But if this is just a cover for drug strikes - bugger off, us anxious types have enough problems without worrying that everyone thinks we secret drug issues!
Anxiety is ****ed i had it that bad before not as bad now. i had to be drunk to go to any social event even if it was a few mates id freak the * out. years of seeing a psych has helped but yeah seems to be easy out for any player as an excuse

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
seriously how long is the drug strikes penalty? bloke was ****** off his face again at RHCP weekly thing since being in perth and mates keep bumping into him not sure if he was like that in melbourne

I can verify he was a bit like that, as can harry000 I'm pretty sure.

I want the best for the guy, hope he doesn't go off the rails.

That's about as close to an admission of alcoholism/alcohol dependency as you'll get from a footy club. I desperately hope he's able to get himself right.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I loved watching Jesse play. But I'm very thankful we don't have to deal with the circus that surrounds him off field. I hope he gets the help he needs, but was going home a great decision for his health? In a way i kind of wish he backed our club and culture in to help him.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I loved watching Jesse play. But I'm very thankful we don't have to deal with the circus that surrounds him off field. I hope he gets the help he needs, but was going home a great decision for his health? In a way i kind of wish he backed our club and culture in to help him.
Yeah, I was thinking that after that picture of him on the floor was doing the rounds. Mightn't have been the best thing for him to be home, falling back in with his mates who are unlikely to be making the sort of life choices conducive to a success as a professional athlete.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah, I was thinking that after that picture of him on the floor was doing the rounds. Mightn't have been the best thing for him to be home, falling back in with his mates who are unlikely to be making the sort of life choices conducive to a success as a professional athlete.
Exactly. No guarantees of course, but striving for a flag and having Lewis, Jones, Jetta and TMac around you for support in hindsight might have been a better life choice. Part of me wants to throw an arm around him, and part of me wants to say too bad, you turned your back on us. But i hope he gets help.

If he's surrounded by toxic influencers and enablers at home then it was a bad call. I have no idea though, just speculation.

seriously how long is the drug strikes penalty? bloke was ****** off his face again at RHCP weekly thing since being in perth and mates keep bumping into him not sure if he was like that in melbourne

He wasnt a bit like that at Melbourne he was alot like that. I just kept it to myself while he was a MFC player.

Fortunate thing I can say is that I never saw him with MFC (or AFL) players when Ive seen him offa. He was with random hipsters, not football types.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

It’s what I had heard also.

Like you I hope he doesn’t go off the rails. He’s traded himself into a fishbowl going to a two team town. Plus all the Freo supporters excited about the power forward to replace Pav myth. For every game he doesn’t play, right or wrong, there will be people lined up to crucify him.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
He wasnt a bit like that at Melbourne he was alot like that. I just kept it to myself while he was a MFC player.

Fortunate thing I can say is that I never saw him with MFC (or AFL) players when Ive seen him offa. He was with random hipsters, not football types.
yeah crazy i didnt think he was like that thought he was a ******* nerd playing sony on weekends instead of hitting the piss n drugs. but since he been home ive had mates at events most weekends saying seen ya boy Hogan again busted up so surprised me. What Gerard said on 360 is interesting if youre getting treated and fail a drug test it doesnt count as another strike does that mean treated for clinical anxiety? cause thats a battle that lasts years

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
what is this picture u speak of

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if Hogan has anxiety (Speaking from experience). I hope he can manage it better though than dealing with it through alcohol

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
upload_2018-12-17_19-39-9.jpeg

what is this picture u speak of

Caroline Wilson saying that Fremantle were well and truly aware of all of Hogans issues. Described frankly in detail by our doctor and Hogan himself. No one can say we sold Freo a lemon.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
It’s what I had heard also.

Like you I hope he doesn’t go off the rails. He’s traded himself into a fishbowl going to a two team town. For every game he doesn’t play, right or wrong, there will be people lined up to crucify him.
In a sense its kinda like JW all over again to a degree
When he isn't up to stuff you know the first people to point the finger at him.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
yeah crazy i didnt think he was like that thought he was a ******* nerd playing sony on weekends instead of hitting the piss n drugs. but since he been home ive had mates at events most weekends saying seen ya boy Hogan again busted up so surprised me. What Gerard said on 360 is interesting if youre getting treated and fail a drug test it doesnt count as another strike does that mean treated for clinical anxiety? cause thats a battle that lasts years

Quality laugh thanks mate.

Back