No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Carlton get a priority pick I'll spew up. Has a Vic team ever been given a priority pick? They should merge with Gold Coast and relocate to Tassie.

The good Roughead, Cooney, Lids and Griffen were all pps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior...cted_with_start_of_first_round_priority_picks

There have been 18 priority picks prior to the start of the first round of the draft and most of them (15) went to Victorian clubs.

Since 2016 when Brisbane got a discretionary one, they have been at the end of the first round. This is the only time it has happened this way though to date.

Yeah well I think we should get one more this year and then they should stop doing it entirely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior...cted_with_start_of_first_round_priority_picks

There have been 18 priority picks prior to the start of the first round of the draft and most of them (15) went to Victorian clubs.

Since 2016 when Brisbane got a discretionary one, they have been at the end of the first round. This is the only time it has happened this way though to date.
Interstate teams were winning flags in the era of the priority pick

They were all pretty strong aside from Freo then who were up and down

Josh Walker from Brisbane made Kane Cornes team of the week finally proving the great Dogsman16's
Lachie Hunter 4 Josh Walker trade was right all along, spooky is it not.

My boy Luke Ryan just chalking up another nomination, you're the man.

It's a look back on the 1993 season and why it is the best season the AFL has seen.
If you're a 30 something footy fan, you'll love it.

I was a 40 something footy fan that year. I don't remember it anymore. :shoutyoldman::(

For the podcast listeners out there....

There's a fantastic new podcast called 'The greatest Season That Was - 1993'.
It's a look back on the 1993 season and why it is the best season the AFL has seen.
If you're a 30 something footy fan, you'll love it.

First episode is here..

https://omny.fm/shows/the-greatest-season-that-was-93/episode-1-the-greatest-season-that-was-1993

Season sadly tainted by the fact that the club who won the GF that yr was proven to have salary cap cheated.

Was that the season when Ablett and Salmon kicked ten plus each in one game? Also round the time Dunstall got 17?

Footy was peaking. 1989 GF was the greatest game I've ever seen and signalled the start of a decade of great footy coinciding with a few of the most exciting footy players ever...Carey, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Grant, Long, Diesel, Matera and D Jarman to name a few. Footy still tough too with guys like Hocking, Rucuitto, Worsfold, Millane, Archer, Brereton, etc

Season sadly tainted by the fact that the club who won the GF that yr was proven to have salary cap cheated.

Was that the season when Ablett and Salmon kicked ten plus each in one game? Also round the time Dunstall got 17?

Footy was peaking. 1989 GF was the greatest game I've ever seen and signalled the start of a decade of great footy coinciding with a few of the most exciting footy players ever...Carey, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Grant, Long, Diesel, Matera and D Jarman to name a few. Footy still tough too with guys like Hocking, Rucuitto, Worsfold, Millane, Archer, Brereton, etc
Not that far into it yet so I'm not sure, but it is the first year Ablett kicked 100. Dunstall and Modra also kicked 100 and Lockett kicked 80 odd from 12 games.
Second ep focuses on the rise of North - which is really interesting. Players like Archer were only at North because of loop holes in rules, or blatant breaking of rules.
Third ep is the last decent Fitzroy season and the beginning of the end for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL LEGEND Malcolm Blight says anyone resisting rule changes in the code should quit their posts.

Old kook with little idea about how the modern game is coached tells everyone currently in the industry to quit if they don't like his uninformed and probably poorly researched rule changes that will be forced on everyone next year.

It's so classic AFL that I'm not even surprised. I guess I shouldn't have expected better from a sport in 2018 that still value's Kevin Bartlett's opinion.

Old kook with little idea about how the modern game is coached tells everyone currently in the industry to quit if they don't like his uninformed and probably poorly researched rule changes that will be forced on everyone next year.

It's so classic AFL that I'm not even surprised. I guess I shouldn't have expected better from a sport in 2018 that still value's Kevin Bartlett's opinion.

Bartlett opposes rule changes other than abolishing interchange which is how things once were anyway. The hands in the back rule was also how footy once was if you watch footy in the seventies they paid in the back heaps.

Bartlett's a footy purist and I'm glad he bangs the drum.

AFL is at a crossroads and I don't get how nuffs like Gil and his buddy Hocking can be allowed to turn the game into netball. Joke.

Bartlett opposes rule changes other than abolishing interchange which is how things once were anyway. The hands in the back rule was also how footy once was if you watch footy in the seventies they paid in the back heaps.

Bartlett's a footy purist and I'm glad he bangs the drum.

AFL is at a crossroads and I don't get how nuffs like Gil and his buddy Hocking can be allowed to turn the game into netball. Joke.
There isn't really any discernible evidence that reducing interchanges has improved the game whatsoever. In fact, a couple of coaches have come out and said that when players are more tired they get sucked in towards the football and fail to keep their shape with structures, causing more congestion. Bartlett can beat that drum all he wants, but football is athletically a different sport these days to when he played. "Lets make players more tired" hasn't improved congestion, or the game overall. It's probably just put more strain on the players if anything.

There isn't really any discernible evidence that reducing interchanges has improved the game whatsoever. In fact, a couple of coaches have come out and said that when players are more tired they get sucked in towards the football and fail to keep their shape with structures, causing more congestion. Bartlett can beat that drum all he wants, but football is athletically a different sport these days to when he played. "Lets make players more tired" hasn't improved congestion, or the game overall. It's probably just put more strain on the players if anything.

Agee to disagree. Congestion only became a problem when players could run zones all day and follow the footy around like kids. Logic to me says the game will open up as the players tire or the tactics evolve so they dont get so tired.

Look at soccer, always opens up late. AFL being more demanding will open up even more...IMO

Agee to disagree. Congestion only became a problem when players could run zones all day and follow the footy around like kids. Logic to me says the game will open up as the players tire or the tactics evolve so they dont get so tired.

Look at soccer, always opens up late. AFL being more demanding will open up even more...IMO

Glad you mentioned tactics evolve. I'd much prefer to let coaches find a way through congestion than force more ham-fisted rule changes on the game that has shown rule changes generally don't improve the viewing experience whatsoever.

Glad you mentioned tactics evolve. I'd much prefer to let coaches find a way through congestion than force more ham-fisted rule changes on the game that has shown rule changes generally don't improve the viewing experience whatsoever.

Agree. However :) getting rid of interchange would actually bring the game back to the rules it was played under for most of footy history. Just my view but if they are going to change anything don't tamper with fabric. Interchange isn't fabric IMO. BLOODY NETBALL ZONES AND BIG GOAL SQAURES ARE.

I’m currently on the road and don’t have much time to peruse much footy related news other than this board and it’s essential reading. Ive noticed that there is talk of ‘rule changes’ coming into the game. Can somebody give me a quick rundown on what these might entail? TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back