No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it will be career destroying. Do people ever get the full four years? Probably only one or two years like Murray, Keeffe and Thomas.

Only 24 at the moment so could be back playing by 26 and still have a good five years ahead of him. Think West Coast would bare with him over the period. You just hope he has good people around him that he can spend the time off keeping his mind occupied, doing stuff he enjoys and staying in shape. Rather than going back to the 100kg he was pre-draft

I feel sorry for him. Unless he was smoking weed to enhance his performance (as good as zero chance), he's just completely destroyed his career on the back of some incredibly dumb mistakes in the wake of some fun/stress relief. Ignorance is not an excuse, I know, but he's thrown away a brilliant opportunity which he will without doubt regret for the rest of his life.

If he was legit trying to cheat though, obviously no sympathy whatsoever.
Why would you feel sorry for him?

There are three scenarios here:

1. He was legitimately trying to cheat.
2. He made a very stupid decision to use a banned drug and hoped that it wouldn't be found.
3. He is just that stupid that he didn't realise it was banned.

There is no scenario where he looks good or where we should feel sorry for him.

2. He made a very stupid decision to use a banned drug and hoped that it wouldn't be found.

Pretty much this. Everyone knows it's banned on match days, if you want to risk it on other days, then you have to accept the consequences if caught.

If he was cheating then I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest.

I fully understand the rules re match day testing and the tampering stuff, but if he was indeed just smoking weed (out of competition days) and then dug himself into a ridiculous hole on the back of it through sheer stupidity, then I feel sorry for him. Assuming he's not trying to cheat the system, he is not the first AFL player to take an illicit drug and won't be the last, but to have his career ended on the back of it due to a couple of brainless decisions sucks.

Anyway, just my opinion, you don't need to agree with it.

What's the objection to AFL footballers taking cannabis products?
Surely it's not classed as performance enhancing? More performance inhibiting. Or is that the issue?
I can understand his club banning him for something that would impair his performance but it's a bit more tenuous with the AFL or ASADA doing it. Am I missing something?
Or are they just being the general policeman for illicit non-PEDs in order to maintain a clean image for the sport?

I'm strongly against PEDs but don't really care about drugs if they have no obvious benefit for player performance.

What's the objection to AFL footballers taking cannabis products?
Surely it's not classed as performance enhancing? More performance inhibiting. Or is that the issue?
I can understand his club banning him for something that would impair his performance but it's a bit more tenuous with the AFL or ASADA doing it. Am I missing something?
Or are they just being the general policeman for illicit non-PEDs in order to maintain a clean image for the sport?

I'm strongly against PEDs but don't really care about drugs if they have no obvious benefit for player performance.
I have no idea about how accurate this is, but the following was posted on the main board:

I think what people need to realise that what willie has been found positive is not cannabis (ie smoking a joint), but a metabolite of cannabis. The afl is reporting that this comes under the in competition prohibited substances, not the match day prohibited substances. That changes it entirely from simply being a recreational drug, to potentially falling into legit PED territory.

What willi has tested positive for may very well be a legit PED, derived from cannabis in some way.

So based on that, perhaps there is a chance he was taking PEDs, otherwise if he was just smoking weed I completely agree with you - he deserves some level of punishment for breaking the rules, but not a 4 year ban equivalent to deliberately taking steroids to enhance his performance.

Someone mentioned, not sure if true though, that weed also has anti-inflammation effect as well. If it is true, that would sort of be similar to steroids in that it allows the body to operate at a level it wouldn't normally be capable of during competition. But then I guess you can make the same argument for painkillers during games, so I don't know where you draw the line tbh. Given it is an illegal drug in everyday society though, do the crime, do the time.

Doubt it will be career destroying. Do people ever get the full four years? Probably only one or two years like Murray, Keeffe and Thomas.

Only 24 at the moment so could be back playing by 26 and still have a good five years ahead of him. Think West Coast would bare with him over the period. You just hope he has good people around him that he can spend the time off keeping his mind occupied, doing stuff he enjoys and staying in shape. Rather than going back to the 100kg he was pre-draft

He is getting 4 years for cheating the system

He put a target on his own back and ASADA will whack him

I have no idea about how accurate this is, but the following was posted on the main board:

I think what people need to realise that what willie has been found positive is not cannabis (ie smoking a joint), but a metabolite of cannabis. The afl is reporting that this comes under the in competition prohibited substances, not the match day prohibited substances. That changes it entirely from simply being a recreational drug, to potentially falling into legit PED territory.

What willi has tested positive for may very well be a legit PED, derived from cannabis in some way.

So based on that, perhaps there is a chance he was taking PEDs, otherwise if he was just smoking weed I completely agree with you - he deserves some level of punishment for breaking the rules, but not a 4 year ban equivalent to deliberately taking steroids to enhance his performance.

My understanding is that your body creates the metabolite from the drug you have taken and it is the metabolite that they test for.

the cannabis metabolite can be found in your urine for up to 30 days and in your hair for up to 90 days.

whether the metabolite can be laboratory produced and included into a PED I have no idea. Edit: actually that would be a nonsense

it doesn't sound like to original poster has much information about metabolites

Last edited:
Bombers supporters up in arms about a possible late 2nd/3rd round pick coming their way for Joe Daniher.

Damaged goods fellas, you will get SFA. Sounds familiar.

Karma bus rolling right over those muppets that created Stringer with bags packed gifs a couple of years ago. Too funny.
Joe Daniher is an absolute gun. I'd be up in arms too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, but that's the reason he's leaving. Doesnt think he has been looked after by the medical staff. He's a gun and if he was a dogs player I'd be wanting a first.
Snowflake's chance in hell they get a first round. Dodoro or not, if he demands Swans as the destination they will have to eat a s**t sandwich.

Of course, but that's the reason he's leaving. Doesnt think he has been looked after by the medical staff. He's a gun and if he was a dogs player I'd be wanting a first.
He is quality, I agree. Would you be happy if we picked him up with our first rounder? I’d be petrified we’d never see him out on the field.

Snowflake's chance in hell they get a first round. Dodoro or not, if he demands Swans as the destination they will have to eat a s**t sandwich.
Perhaps. I dont care what they get, not sure why any non Swans/Bombers fan would.

I'm talking about his worth. He's a gun and if he was a dog we'd be shattered and demanding the world too. If he's honestly only worth a late second early third, then screw Bruce, go hard for Joe.

He is quality, I agree. Would you be happy if we picked him up with our first rounder? I’d be petrified we’d never see him out on the field.
Absolutely. Risky, but the potential reward would be huge. Potentially could trade down from 12 to late first and improve 30 to a mid 20s and trade that out.

Not happening, but he is a jet when fit. Worth a risk.

Bombers supporters up in arms about a possible late 2nd/3rd round pick coming their way for Joe Daniher.

Damaged goods fellas, you will get SFA. Sounds familiar.

Karma bus rolling right over those muppets that created Stringer with bags packed gifs a couple of years ago. Too funny.

Have people forgot already how good he is when fit ?
If you could be confident he was injury free , he is a first rounder.
Yes they have. Because it was that long ago. Which is why his trade value is so low. See Tom Scully as a lesser example, gone for nothing because of his injury history.

Daniher is interesting cause he has the potential to be the best forward in the league but there's no guarantee he'll get on the park.

Anyone caught up with the crazy, old, senile fool Sheedy’s latest rant?

Apparently a Plastics flag would be ‘the greatest story in the history of the game’ (despite being gifted dozens of 1st round picks, $150 mil and plenty of concessions).

Also said in 16 and 17 they were unlucky to be beaten to two prelims by the eventual premiers Richmond and ‘bloody Footscray’.

I hate that campaigner so much. Right up at Ian Collins level. Absolute p****.

I now hope they get hammered again.

Last edited:
It must astound the Essendon supporters that anyone wants to leave the spongy surface of Tulla. Or their revered Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back