No Opposition Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Triple Baileys

All Australian
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It doesnt go from good footballer to rubbish without a whole lot in between. He's a handy player and had a good year, but he would struggle to get a game for us.
True, he would have found it difficult to get a game but the other side of the coin is he may have blossomed playing in a decent team, that is, us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True, he would have found it difficult to get a game but the other side of the coin is he may have blossomed playing in a decent team, that is, us.
Possibly, would be good depth at the least. I think he'd be in the Hayes, Gowers, Honeychurch bracket of getting a game here and there but struggling to get a consistent game.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Bad day? Given I've just disagreed with your opinion and not had a go at you - I didn't even quote you initially, these are rather abrupt and unusual responses.
No bad day for me.
Just an observation , and could be totally wrong , but your responses can often seem a put down of another opinion.
Rest assured I don't lose any sleep over dissagreement on here !

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No bad day for me.
Just an observation , and could be totally wrong , but your responses can often seem a put down of another opinion.
Rest assured I don't lose any sleep over dissagreement on here !
Certainly dont mean it that way. Mutt has commented similar. I've actually tried to stop quoting so people don't see it as a personal disagreement. I dont write anything I wouldn't say in person, I guess tone is hard to convey.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Certainly dont mean it that way. Mutt has commented similar. I've actually tried to stop quoting so people don't see it as a personal disagreement. I dont write anything I wouldn't say in person, I guess tone is hard to convey.
All good from my end mate.
Always read with interest what you have to say. We don't always agree , but I like your contribution.

Snarls Barkley

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
West Coast: Tim Kelly, pick 57, 2020 3rd (from Geelong presumably, probably around 50)
Geelong: pick 14, pick 24, pick 37, 2020 West Coast 1st (15-18 bracket)

What does everyone think of the trade?

Think that is as close to fair as it was going to get. I’d rather Tim Kelly but it’s a pretty decent draft haul in return for Geelong. Leaves them with three picks in the top 25 this year and two picks in the top 20 next year. Been a long long time since Wells has been able to go to the draft with decent picks. His second (or occasional his first) pick is usually somewhere in the 40s. Think he’d be pretty happy with that.

Good chance to rejuvenate their ageing list if they can nail some of those picks. Unlikely they’ll end up with another Kelly.

R: Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
C: Sheed, Yeo, Gaff

That’s a pretty handy midfield

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To facilitate the Kelly trade, Essendon got involved

Pick 33 + Pick 57 for Pick 37 + Pick 52

That's just odd, and I really don't see the point. Surely there's a follow up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snarls Barkley

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
Why?

Think it makes sense. Essendon would prefer the higher second round pick. West Coast clearly wanted a little more back than pick 57 and pick 52 provides that. Seems Geelong’s pick they received at 37 will be going to St Kilda anyway and saves the haggling over pick 33. Win/Win/Win, except the Saints.

Doesn’t mean much in the scheme of things but think all sides are slightly more happy.

Sentinel

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To facilitate the Kelly trade, Essendon got involved

Pick 33 + Pick 57 for Pick 37 + Pick 52

That's just odd, and I really don't see the point. Surely there's a follow up?
Essendon upgraded 37 to 33 whilst downgrading a later pick. Creating value out of nothing - why wouldn't they do that?

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
West Coast: Tim Kelly, pick 57, 2020 3rd (from Geelong presumably, probably around 50)
Geelong: pick 14, pick 24, pick 37, 2020 West Coast 1st (15-18 bracket)

What does everyone think of the trade?

Think that is as close to fair as it was going to get. I’d rather Tim Kelly but it’s a pretty decent draft haul in return for Geelong. Leaves them with three picks in the top 25 this year and two picks in the top 20 next year. Been a long long time since Wells has been able to go to the draft with decent picks. His second (or occasional his first) pick is usually somewhere in the 40s. Think he’d be pretty happy with that.

Good chance to rejuvenate their ageing list if they can nail some of those picks. Unlikely they’ll end up with another Kelly.

R: Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
C: Sheed, Yeo, Gaff

That’s a pretty handy midfield
Not a bad return on pick 24 in the draft two years ago, especially as that pick was runner-up two years in a row in Geelong's B&F.

Spiritof82

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
No player is worth that many picks imo. Now Geelong can setup their future without bottoming out.
There's no guarantee the Cats will use the picks in the draft, there's still a week of trade week left, enough time to trade the picks for players from other clubs that are over 30 and on their last leg.

Pugz89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is a terrible draft. Only about 20 good ones and two elite ones.
In next years draft, there are already players out performing this years top 20. That is a super draft. Super super draft.
Next year is quite compromised though. Some clubs will need to stock up on points, other clubs will try and trade out of it.

LittleG

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Next year is quite compromised though. Some clubs will need to stock up on points, other clubs will try and trade out of it.
Thoroughly compromised. So bad, that it should spell the end for academies and zones....
but there are lots of good players too. LittleMacrae doesn’t appear to be a dud brother.

Whatname

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it's a Bulldogs only thread but I was hoping you could help me out.

On the surface Garlick looks a good appointment but was the reason for his departure from you guys.

Seem to have a feeling it was a messy finish?

You also won the flag the year after he left, did he play a role in laying the foundations or was it him leaving being the catalyst.

Dogs_r_barking

Premiers 2016
Mar 2, 2007
Bellarine Peninsular
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melb Victory
I know it's a Bulldogs only thread but I was hoping you could help me out.

On the surface Garlick looks a good appointment but was the reason for his departure from you guys.

Seem to have a feeling it was a messy finish?

You also won the flag the year after he left, did he play a role in laying the foundations or was it him leaving being the catalyst.
I think Garlick made some mistakes but he would have learned from them. I also think Gordon would not be the easiest President to work under. As far as the players etc he didn’t play a role in that. For what it’s worth he was at our B&F, presenting one of our retirees with life membership etc, so there is no hard feelings between him and the club.

Top Bottom