(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Remember ‘89.

We were grateful for the solidarity and support we got from the Pies and some others. P1ssed off with Essendon etc who just wanted us gone.

Let’s not be as bad as the bombers if North is indeed in strife.

Or is it just another tabloid beat up?
It’s the slow news off-season, remember? Looking forward to some of the boys getting back into training next week. Anyone going to check them out?

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure where else this would belong, but:

There's a kid, Tyzreise Clark, likely to join the Eagles NGA in 2020 (eligible for draft in 2022 I believe) who is seriously looking like JUH level of talent, if not higher. Playing in the GFL right now (where Dom Sheed played) and has been breaking athletics records in WA the last couple of years, including hurdles and triple jump.

He's only 14 and is playing Colts with kids 3 years older than him, and just finished 4th in the overall Best and Fairest count. Playing at his own age level, he kicked 73 goals in 15 games this year. The kid is a freak, and I just wanted to put this out there so I can claim that I saw him first :)

Northernsoul74

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

There's a kid, Tyzreise Clark, likely to join the Eagles NGA in 2020 (eligible for draft in 2022 I believe) who is seriously looking like JUH level of talent, if not higher. Playing in the GFL right now (where Dom Sheed played) and has been breaking athletics records in WA the last couple of years, including hurdles and triple jump.

He's only 14 and is playing Colts with kids 3 years older than him, and just finished 4th in the overall Best and Fairest count. Playing at his own age level, he kicked 73 goals in 15 games this year. The kid is a freak, and I just wanted to put this out there so I can claim that I saw him first :)
Hopefully the NGA rules have been changed by then 😀

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully the NGA rules have been changed by then 😀
Yeah I'm not really sure, but I have a feeling that while he'd qualify for their academy, they probably wouldn't get access to him. He's ethnically Maori, but I think both his parents are "from" Australia, if that makes sense. Looks like he'd end up in a similar boat to someone like Stevens from our academy, where we may or may not actually get priority access to him.

Also, as you said, NGA rules probably change by then. Still 3-4 years away :)

Pugz89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah I'm not really sure, but I have a feeling that while he'd qualify for their academy, they probably wouldn't get access to him. He's ethnically Maori, but I think both his parents are "from" Australia, if that makes sense. Looks like he'd end up in a similar boat to someone like Stevens from our academy, where we may or may not actually get priority access to him.

Also, as you said, NGA rules probably change by then. Still 3-4 years away :)
Josh Rentsch is Kiwi heritage and we don't have access to him. Same deal with the WA lad if your info is correct.

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Rentsch is Kiwi heritage and we don't have access to him. Same deal with the WA lad if your info is correct.
Sounds like it could be the case. Either way, he definitely will quality for Eagles' NGA, so I'd expect him to feature there, but hopefully he'll be on the open market. This is highly speculative since he's only 14 and still years away from being drafted (and that's assuming a different sport doesn't catch his eye) but at the current rate, this kid could be Pick 1

Pugz89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like it could be the case. Either way, he definitely will quality for Eagles' NGA, so I'd expect him to feature there, but hopefully he'll be on the open market. This is highly speculative since he's only 14 and still years away from being drafted (and that's assuming a different sport doesn't catch his eye) but at the current rate, this kid could be Pick 1
That's my point though. You're saying he will definitely qualify for the Eagles' NGA, but Rentsch hasn't qualified for our NGA yet both are of Kiwi heritage. If that is correct about the WA lad, he most certainly will not qualify for the NGA.

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's my point though. You're saying he will definitely qualify for the Eagles' NGA, but Rentsch hasn't qualified for our NGA yet both are of Kiwi heritage. If that is correct about the WA lad, he most certainly will not qualify for the NGA.
He has been invited to try out for their NGA already, so he must qualify - I just meant that he could join their academy without them necessarily having drafting rights to him

weltschmerz

All Australian
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well even if he is on the open draft, if all goes to plan, we’ll be top of the ladder without the picks for him. Sounds like one to watch though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
Sharpening Occums Razor
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI

Gloryeiz.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow, these complicated draft rules with picks being sprayed around and going every which way and F/S / NGA and future pick trading and the whole vibe.

Is every club sort of being accommodated to get to where it wants?

Or are some clubs making tragic mistakes?

Thoughts anyone?

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wow, these complicated draft rules with picks being sprayed around and going every which way and F/S / NGA and future pick trading and the whole vibe.

Is every club sort of being accommodated to get to where it wants?

Or are some clubs making tragic mistakes?

Thoughts anyone?
The AFL has delusions of deity.
Omniscient. Omnipresent. Omnipotent.
Can do whatever it friggin well feels like doing.
So it does.

Some clubs will slip up and some will take advantage of others in the endless rounds of trading, but generally there should be enough wise heads at every club to avoid utter disaster.

The danger will be if one person is allowed to go solo, makes executive decisions and gets above himself or gets blindsided.

Hopefully Ameet, Grant and Bev are signing off all of Sam Power’s main moves.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So it does.

Some clubs will slip up and some will take advantage of others in the endless rounds of trading, but generally there should be enough wise heads at every club to avoid utter disaster.

The danger will be if one person is allowed to go solo, makes executive decisions and gets above himself or gets blindsided.

Our guys seem on top of things right now but you can see the potential to be lured into overpaying in various ways to get things done.

weltschmerz

All Australian
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was looking at last year’s draft, and discovered that Chayce Jones was both one of the older kids in the pool, and nine months older than Ely Smith.

F0722FF2-7EA6-4D03-B2EC-ABEEFE2C6F2E.jpeg

You definitely wouldn’t know it.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So it does.

Talk about clubs slipping up, I have chatted with a few StK supporter mates and they are not happy with the Bruce trade. They think that Zac Jones is a good player, but Bruce was worth more to the list even with the steak knife pick that was thrown in.

Then there is the Hill recruitment: Hill + a future third-round selection were traded for Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future 2nd and future 4th round pick. My mates say Acres is not a bad footballer and therefore their club gave something up in trading him. Say Acres accounts for the future 3rd (which may be harsh), Stk paid a high first round pick, a second (potentially high) pick, a third round and a fourth round pick. That is, somewhere around 2500 points or thereabouts, which equates to pick 2 for Hill. He's a damn good player but that's a lot to pay.

But I have to say the Saints did brilliantly with the Howard trade. What were Port thinking?

I think the Saints go into next years draft with a 1st round draft pick and two 4th round picks. Not good and it highlights the risk of paying multiple picks for players: Multiple picks for a player now = marginalised recruitment opportunities later. Essentially, mortgaging the future.

Top Bottom