No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happened with Daw?

Misadventure, or did he try to top himself?
campaigns.json

AFL star Majak Daw revealed his fight to overcome his demons in weeks before Bolte Bridge incident
NUI TE KOHA and PETER ROLFE, Herald Sun
December 18, 2018 9:30pm

AFL star Majak Daw, who is in a serious condition in hospital after plunging from the Bolte Bridge into the Yarra river on Monday night, recently spoke out about confronting his demons.

Daw, 27, told a documentary crew: “I have always believed that, you know, tough times won’t last. But if I can just ride it through, I’ll come out stronger, and I’ll look back on those experiences and say, ‘I’ve been able to go through that, I can go through anything.’”

The documentary, Voice For Change, due to air next month, is meant to inspire troubled souls.

In the interview, the Kangaroos star said he found it lonely being an AFL pioneer, but football helped him block out negativity. He said: “I just focus on what I can do.

“I really have an outlet — I train. I’m at training four times a week, and then play on the weekend.

“So I really use that as an inspiration. Me training well, and playing well on the weekend — they’re the things that are in my control.”

Emergency services rescued Daw from the Yarra about 11pm on Monday after he fell from the Bolte Bridge in Docklands. He is expected to have surgery in coming days for what are believed to be a broken hip and serious pelvic injuries.

On Monday night, Daw pulled his car up in an operating lane on the bridge. He is believed to have stayed in the car for a short period, then stepped out and plunged into the water.

The North Melbourne player was in a serious but stable condition in the Royal Melbourne Hospital on Tuesday, surrounded by friends and family.

Sports stars past and present rallied around him.

Basketball star Andrew Bogut took to social media to offer the Kangaroos tall his support, saying: “Majak Daw news is shocking. Hope he will be OK.’’

And footy great Wayne Schwass called for better mental health support for AFL players. The Roos premiership ace said footy stars were under more pressure than ever, and needed better skills to deal with outside problems.

He said the footy field was just one area of life in which elite athletes experienced stress. Relationship problems, financial woes, alcohol, drugs and gambling could all trigger mental health problems, he said.

Schwass, who has become a mental health advocate after detailing his own battles with depression, said a collaborative approach from the AFL, Players Association, Coaches Association, clubs and players was needed.

“I’m very confident that for every Alex Fasolo, Tom Boyd, Travis Cloke who comes out and does acknowledge that they are dealing with mental health conditions, there are a lot more that haven’t found the courage,” he said.

Daw’s close friend, Ahmed Hassan, director of multicultural organisation Youth Activating Youth, said people were rallying around.

Kangaroos chairman Ben Buckley said Daw’s mental and physical wellbeing was paramount, and the club was “providing full and ongoing support for Majak and his family, and also the players and the wider club”.

The AFL said it had worked with North Melbourne throughout the day “to offer all further support for Majak, his family, his teammates and all staff at the club.”

Daw is the third of nine children in a family that fled civil war in Sudan.

He signed to North Melbourne in 2010, and made history as the first Sudanese player in the AFL.

He has said success came with a struggle to keep it real. “It doesn’t matter what heights you reach in life, or how well you’re going at work … you want to continue to stay authentic,” he said.

Daw said he owed it to his parents to thrive.

“From where I’ve come, from being a migrant … my parents had to give up … everything, just for me,” he said. “I want to do the right thing by them, and if I can inspire my younger brothers and sisters and other kids from the community, I’d be pretty happy.

“I really want to make a change in this country and I want to be that bridge between my culture and the Australian culture.”

After 50 games in eight years, Daw had a breakout season this year after being move to defence, where he averaged 5.3 marks a game and garnered two nominations for mark of the year.

People seeking help can call Lifeline on 13 11 14, Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636, or Kids’ Helpline on 1800 55 1800

A nice sentiment but I highly doubt players are reading the shite here. But hey for arguments sake assume they do.

Not a shot at you but should players with reported mental health issues be immune from having their ability to perform/take the field even discussed? Is respectful discussion okay? Who defines 'cavalier discussion'? You?

What about those players with unreported mental health issues? So maybe just to be safe perhaps we dont criticise or discuss anyone?

Of more relevance might be people watching how they refer to each other here given there seems a good chunk of people posting here with self admitted mental health issues (and they most definitely do read what is written here).

All the best to Majak. A terrible thing.

Players may or may not be reading the shite here, anecdotal evidence suggests that at least some do. However, they most certainly do read the same or indeed worse across other social media platforms ones that have a direct connection to them, so theres no need to make an argument for arguments sake. Its just a fact that a number of players have cited the the criticism to be found on social media as a contributing factor when making their battles public.

Of course a players mental health issues are a subject for discussion here, we've seen it done here in a respectful manner countless times. My point is that the one apparent here these past few days was kicked of by what to my mind was little more than a thinly veiled troll from a poster who has form on the matter and it was one designed for maximum effect and here we are. So no, I will not be deciding what is a cavalier attitude , nor will I be trying to stymy discussion here as insinuated in you following post. I will call it out when I see it though and I'll take my lumps if proven wrong, so feel free to take a shot at me at anytime.

Last edited:

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My uninformed expectations of Boyd are very low.

Based on last year unless something dramatically changes with Boyd he is likely to be playing twos or not at all for much of this year IMO. Obviously if it pans out that way that is a massive waste of cap. I can understand people questioning his value to the list.

Is making such a commment going to somehow jeopardize Toms mental health?

It just seems there is an increasing intolerance of alternate views here and people trying to censor other people. Isn't that what mods are for? Maybe its just reflective of society.

It would be nice to read a discussion of a variety of views rather than people seeking to censor or attack others when an outlying view is raised.

My favourite is the post begininning with, 'Anyone who thinks x is a dumb campaigner'

And yes I am aware of the irony contained within this post.

Criticism of stupid opinions isn't censorship.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Criticism of stupid opinions isn't censorship.

Criticism is fine. Stating people should watch what they say because 'Majak' is attempted censorship IMO.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Criticism is fine. Stating people should watch what they say because 'Majak' is attempted censorship IMO.

An individual's stated opinion that people shouldn't say something is nothing to do with censorship. If Bigfooty or the government prevented people from saying those things, that's censorship.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Mitchell broken leg? The preseason disasters have begun :(
Likely to miss the entire season as well, must have been a tib/fib break. Almost single handedly ruins Hawks' finals hopes.
I was predicting Hawks to drop a bit (7-8), but with Mitchell out I can't see them making finals.

This reminds me of Mitch Wallis' break, which could be awful for Mitchell. We saw how long it took Wallis to get back into our 22 consistently

I don't get it?
Imagine if you were Mitchell's family reading that Tweet, and not having heard or read any reports as to what has happened. The Tweet makes it sound like he is in a critical condition. There's no reference at all to a broken leg.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Imagine if you were Mitchell's family reading that Tweet, and not having heard or read any reports as to what has happened. The Tweet makes it sound like he is in a critical condition. There's no reference at all to a broken leg.
Fair enough. Pretty sure his family would have been called within half hr of incident though. Anywho...

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Never mind that. I am the small yellow man pictured in his earlier tweet and cannot explain to my employer why Stevens has been photographing me when I should have been at work.
If you’re reading this, Mark, please delete my picture.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mitchell is a good footballer but if he is the only major injury they get this season then I think they will still be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back