No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a thread on the Bombers board that is very positive about him; they're saying he's the only decent forward they've got. I can't be ****** watching Essendon games but his stats are average most weeks. I suppose the flashes of brilliance make up for the quiet bits. There was an interview in The Age preseason where he said he wanted to spend more time in the midfield, but that experiment was canned. He's s small forward in a big body.
He was starting in the midfield at the first bounce then going forward.
He just doesn't have the tank to play full time midfield. He is such a frustrating player to watch because if he had half of Picken's dedication he'd be one of the best players in the game.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No mate that isn’t the way it works

The peaceful left want to stomp anyone who doesn’t follow their ideas into the ground and make the utopia they want

The reality will be their utopia will be more like hell and when they realise it will be too late to go back.

You’re yesterdays man MD

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know it might be controversial on this board but Jake Stringer the footballer is and was one of the most overated footballers I have seen.

He has been average again this year. Most games he goes missing for large parts and is a defensive liability then flashes in for a few bits of brilliance and he is some kind of superstar. Of course bombre supporters are going to talk him up, how else can you justify winning the trade period back to back.

I hear time and again how great he was in 2015. All Australian superstar.

He was very good for his age and experience but he did actually finish 6th in the goalkicking with 80% of those goals against teams outside of the 8.

The only value he would add to our current team is what he added in the 2016 finals series. He will take a good defender freeing someone else up.

I get the arguments about how we could of kept him, issues with Bev etc, and though disagree accept these are plausible arguments.

But to say we lost a superstar is and always will be a nonsense. We lost a flaky footballer who could produce moments of brilliance and watch next time he misses yet another crucial goal for the Bombres.

That little stretch in back half of 2015 that truly rocketed him to prominence was more curse than blessing, in hindsight. Had a solid 32 goals after round 17, then reeled off 17 goals in 4 weeks, peaking with 5 goals in the thrashing at Perth where he had that great mark and one hand pickup/kick that everyone went mental about. Don’t think he was in AA contention before that and it shifted the goal posts for his career massively.

So Rampe jumping on the goal post and hanging on to it when Myers took that final kick should have been a free to Essendon in their goalsquare meaning Essendon lost when they really should have won? Nice.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love how people are blaming the footy show demise on PC. Didn't stop Sam saying what he wanted most of the time.

It was canned because it became s**t. The jokes and format was repetitive, stale. You cannot have a show virtually unchanged for 20 plus years and expect people not to get bored of it. There is a reason the greatest tv shows in history run for under 10 years, and all those that run longer are often said to have run out of ideas and should have been canned ages ago, often suffer viewership losses.

Even before the new hosts came along, the shows ratings have been free falling for years, to a point its not worth spending money on something people are not watching. It needed more than just host changes and studio design changes over the years, that's pretty much all they did. Plus constantly having the same bogan guests with childish jokes made the show cringe, not funny. It wasn't entertaining in any aspect, in fact it got to a point where I only watched to see the teams and what they might say about the Bulldogs. These days you can just do all that with the click of a button online. Never watched a single episode the last 5 years.

A new show wouldn't have taken much to take wind out of the footy shows sails. The footy show was a victim of time, and lack of ideas, simple as that.

So the PC AGENDA had zero to do with helping its demise ?

Even though Eddie Sam And Gary have all said they were censored ?

Even though they jammed a token female into the show twice?

There is nothing PC about using a completely irrelevant disabled person?

Sure it was dropping in ratings but maybe part of that was because they stripped it of a lot of the things people watched it for? Ps I haven’t watched it for years so I couldn’t care either way.

To suggest the PC culture hasn’t changed what is on TV now is ridiculous. Just look at The Project and the god awful humans that are on that show pushing the agenda daily but it’s the lefts side so it’s all ok.

People keep calling for Marmalade’s return but have no idea why there was zero chance of that happening lol

Last edited:
So Rampe jumping on the goal post and hanging on to it when Myers took that final kick should have been a free to Essendon in their goalsquare meaning Essendon lost when they really should have won? Nice.
And our entire team standing the mark when Taylor took his kick should have been a free kick to Geelong :rolleyes:.

Not sure there's a rule for what Rampe did, glad the umps took it in the humorous spirit that was intended.

I remember sharing a house in Ascot Vale in 1997 with a kiwi woman and she would go to the Ascot Vale Hotel to watch the Footy just because of Sam Newman. She didn't care about the lack of PC, she just had the hots for Sam Newman. I guess 22 years later he doesn't have the same appeal to younger women.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Sure it was dropping in ratings but maybe part of that was because they stripped it of a lot of the things people watched it for? Ps I haven’t watched it for years so I couldn’t care either way.

To suggest the PC culture hasn’t changed what is on TV now is ridiculous. Just look at The Project and the god awful humans that are on that show pushing the agenda daily but it’s the lefts side so it’s all ok.

People keep calling for Marmalade’s return but have no idea why there was zero chance of that happening lol
Any human beings that you like?

And our entire team standing the mark when Taylor took his kick should have been a free kick to Geelong :rolleyes:.

Not sure there's a rule for what Rampe did, glad the umps took it in the humorous spirit that was intended.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-10/was-essendon-denied-a-certain-matchwinning-free-kick

Apparently it was ruled that he wasn't deliberately shaking the post. Well, at least he didn't break it like Leigh Matthews broke that point post back in '82. Remember that? ;)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any human beings that you like?

Lots. But also a lot that don’t and I have no issue with that

I’d rather be honest in my opinion and upset people than lie to make them happy.

Have you ever met me? Or are you one of those people that make opinions of people they have never actually met?

And by the way I get the PC cultUte to a point but when you have something that is the opposite of that and then change it to suit today’s agenda of course it’s popularity will dip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan

I agreed with you in part to some extent about the PC thing, but I still stand by the point that the show was doomed regardless there was any crackdown or being PC. The show had simply run out of ideas, was to old, and some of the people on it were trash. Almost no show is still good in its 20th plus year, nothing was going to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back