No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know we are set to benefit from them in 2020 but these academies in their current format stink to high hell.

I'm all for academies being setup in non aussie rules states and regional communities to allow these kids a path to the AFL but they should not be aligned to clubs.

The draft should be sacrosanct. The romance of the father/son is a nice touch and unusual for a pro sport but outside of that, clubs should be able to draft the most talented kids regardless of where they are from.

The draft is becoming far too compromised for my liking. Unless you live in metropolitan Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne you are pretty much guaranteed to stay in your home state. Good for the players and their families, not so good for the integrity of the competition.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know we are set to benefit from them in 2020 but these academies in their current format stink to high hell.

I'm all for academies being setup in non aussie rules states and regional communities to allow these kids a path to the AFL but they should not be aligned to clubs.

The draft should be sacrosanct. The romance of the father/son is a nice touch and unusual for a pro sport but outside of that, clubs should be able to draft the most talented kids regardless of where they are from.

The draft is becoming far too compromised for my liking. Unless you live in metropolitan Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne you are pretty much guaranteed to stay in your home state. Good for the players and their families, not so good for the integrity of the competition.

My family have been in Australia for over 6 generations.... my wife was born overseas.... my kids are eligible to be academy prospects. Luckily both born in the Bulldogs zone.

The academy system is broken. Truly broken.

My family have been in Australia for over 6 generations.... my wife was born overseas.... my kids are eligible to be academy prospects. Luckily both born in the Bulldogs zone.

Yet another half-arsed AFL solution that they haven't bothered applying any intellectual rigour to.

...again and again and again.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Six generations is a long way back. Over six generations is a very long way back. Not trying to be funny but were your people on the first fleet?

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
What are you talking about here?
1571146242304.png

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Thanks, but article is behind a paywall. Can you post it?
The drug which sparked the Essendon supplements scandal was only listed as a banned substance the day before the Bombers “self reported” to the AFL. That was more than 12 months after the club stopped injecting its players.

The drug that wiped out the Essendon 34 was only listed as banned by ASADA the day before the club “self-reported” its supplements program in February 2013. It was several months after the injections had stopped.

Most of the 2012 Bombers’ squad were banned after the Court of Arbitration for Sport concluded they were repeatedly injected with the WADA “prohibited” substance Thymosin Beta-4.

But an official log reveals the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority “Check Your Substances” site — which athletes and coaches are encouraged to inspect prior to using supplements — did not flag the drug as banned until the afternoon of February 4, 2013.

The log, obtained under Freedom of Information laws, shows an ASADA official ran a check on the public site for “research” at 10.34am and no flag was generated for Thymosin Beta-4.

Another check on Thymosin Beta-4 just over two hours later at 12.59pm by an ASADA staffer listed it as “banned in sport”. The status update came on the same day AFL boss Andrew Demetriou called Essendon chairman David Evans about a secret investigation into the club’s supplements program, prompting the Bombers to “self-report” to ASADA.

The log revelation, seven years into the doping saga, adds to concerns over the AFL tribunal and Court of Arbitration for Sport’s ruling that Thymosin Beta-4 was clearly a banned substance during the Bombers’ supplements regimen. Scientist Bob O’Dea said: “The evidence of a stitch-up is compelling”.

The players’ defence team did not know about the log when they were found guilty in January 2016.

Questions have also been raised about the update’s timing, with suggestions it was an attempt by some staff to shore up evidence after the fact.

Former ASADA boss Ben McDevitt told a Senate inquiry in March 2016 the Essendon players were culpable because they did not check whether the substance was banned. “Ultimately the onus rests always on the individual … They (the players) should have gone to the website where you can look up the substances that are banned but we have no evidence that any of them did,” Mr McDevitt said Separately, Mr McDevitt’s claims that Thymosin Beta-4 was captured under two general classifications of banned substances in WADA’s World Anti-Doping Code prohibited list have been shot down.

Thymosin Beta-4 was not explicitly listed as a banned substance by WADA until January 2018. But Mr McDevitt insisted to the Senate inquiry it was captured in WADA’s prohibited lists under categories “S0 and S2” when it was allegedly being used by Essendon players.

Mr McDevitt’s response to the Senate on March 3, 2016, reads: “The substance Thymosin Beta-4 is prohibited under category S2 of the prohibited list. It is a growth factor affecting muscle, tendon and ligament, vascularisation and regenerative capacity. The substance is also prohibited under category S0 of the prohibited list as it has never been approved by any regulatory agency for human therapeutic use.”

But ASADA has since stated no drug can be captured under two categories, with an email to Mr O’Dea on September 4 this year, saying: “A substance can only be placed within one category in the WADA prohibited list. “The definition of S0 on the WADA prohibited list excludes substances which are addressed in other sections of the code.” Mr O’Dea said: “I have been appalled at the lack of scientific rigour that has been applied in the Essendon saga.”

ASADA last night failed to respond to why it added Thymosin Beta-4 to the banned list on its Check Your Substances site in February 2012.

“Whether or not a substance is listed on ASADA’s former Check Your Substance tool has no bearing on whether a substance is a prohibited substance under the World Anti-Doping Code,” a spokeswoman said.

“Thymosin Beta-4 was a prohibited substance since the commencement of the 2010 WADA prohibited list.” Anyone searching for a drug that did not flag on the Check Your Substance tool would have been told it did not necessarily mean it was permitted and would be urged to contact ASADA, she said.

She had no comment on the September email that contradicted Mr McDevitt’s advice to the inquiry about the WADA code categories Thymosin Beta-4 was captured in.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The drug which sparked the Essendon supplements scandal was only listed as a banned substance the day before the Bombers “self reported” to the AFL. That was more than 12 months after the club stopped injecting its players.

The drug that wiped out the Essendon 34 was only listed as banned by ASADA the day before the club “self-reported” its supplements program in February 2013. It was several months after the injections had stopped.

Most of the 2012 Bombers’ squad were banned after the Court of Arbitration for Sport concluded they were repeatedly injected with the WADA “prohibited” substance Thymosin Beta-4.

But an official log reveals the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority “Check Your Substances” site — which athletes and coaches are encouraged to inspect prior to using supplements — did not flag the drug as banned until the afternoon of February 4, 2013.

The log, obtained under Freedom of Information laws, shows an ASADA official ran a check on the public site for “research” at 10.34am and no flag was generated for Thymosin Beta-4.

Another check on Thymosin Beta-4 just over two hours later at 12.59pm by an ASADA staffer listed it as “banned in sport”. The status update came on the same day AFL boss Andrew Demetriou called Essendon chairman David Evans about a secret investigation into the club’s supplements program, prompting the Bombers to “self-report” to ASADA.

The log revelation, seven years into the doping saga, adds to concerns over the AFL tribunal and Court of Arbitration for Sport’s ruling that Thymosin Beta-4 was clearly a banned substance during the Bombers’ supplements regimen. Scientist Bob O’Dea said: “The evidence of a stitch-up is compelling”.

The players’ defence team did not know about the log when they were found guilty in January 2016.

Questions have also been raised about the update’s timing, with suggestions it was an attempt by some staff to shore up evidence after the fact.

Former ASADA boss Ben McDevitt told a Senate inquiry in March 2016 the Essendon players were culpable because they did not check whether the substance was banned. “Ultimately the onus rests always on the individual … They (the players) should have gone to the website where you can look up the substances that are banned but we have no evidence that any of them did,” Mr McDevitt said Separately, Mr McDevitt’s claims that Thymosin Beta-4 was captured under two general classifications of banned substances in WADA’s World Anti-Doping Code prohibited list have been shot down.

Thymosin Beta-4 was not explicitly listed as a banned substance by WADA until January 2018. But Mr McDevitt insisted to the Senate inquiry it was captured in WADA’s prohibited lists under categories “S0 and S2” when it was allegedly being used by Essendon players.

Mr McDevitt’s response to the Senate on March 3, 2016, reads: “The substance Thymosin Beta-4 is prohibited under category S2 of the prohibited list. It is a growth factor affecting muscle, tendon and ligament, vascularisation and regenerative capacity. The substance is also prohibited under category S0 of the prohibited list as it has never been approved by any regulatory agency for human therapeutic use.”

But ASADA has since stated no drug can be captured under two categories, with an email to Mr O’Dea on September 4 this year, saying: “A substance can only be placed within one category in the WADA prohibited list. “The definition of S0 on the WADA prohibited list excludes substances which are addressed in other sections of the code.” Mr O’Dea said: “I have been appalled at the lack of scientific rigour that has been applied in the Essendon saga.”

ASADA last night failed to respond to why it added Thymosin Beta-4 to the banned list on its Check Your Substances site in February 2012.

“Whether or not a substance is listed on ASADA’s former Check Your Substance tool has no bearing on whether a substance is a prohibited substance under the World Anti-Doping Code,” a spokeswoman said.

“Thymosin Beta-4 was a prohibited substance since the commencement of the 2010 WADA prohibited list.” Anyone searching for a drug that did not flag on the Check Your Substance tool would have been told it did not necessarily mean it was permitted and would be urged to contact ASADA, she said.

She had no comment on the September email that contradicted Mr McDevitt’s advice to the inquiry about the WADA code categories Thymosin Beta-4 was captured in.

Thanks for that.

Hate to say it, but Scientist Bob O’Dea said: “The evidence of a stitch-up is compelling” indeed.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Thanks for that.

Hate to say it, but Scientist Bob O’Dea said: “The evidence of a stitch-up is compelling” indeed.
Not really. Just because it was specifically listed doesn't mean it's not banned

Not sure why they're bringing this up, nothing article. Just some scientist trying to get his name out

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Absolutely irrelevant crap piece of "journalism" during the off-season by the Essendon Fanboi newspaper. Not being on the list doesn't mean it is banned or safe substance. If you were about to inject your entire football team (minus one) you would be a bit risk averse and would contact ASADA/WADA unless you knew it was dodgy and have players injected off site. You would also backup your XL A3 spreadsheet. They got off far too lightly

If I read one more Tweet about Richmond's GF win from a friend of mine, I just might join Twitter to respond every time: "Eff the Tigers!" If GWS would have won, we wouldn't even remember it by now. grrr...

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If I read one more Tweet about Richmond's GF win from a friend of mine, I just might join Twitter to respond every time: "Eff the Tigers!" If GWS would have won, we wouldn't even remember it by now. grrr...

The thing which I realised after 2016 is that after the GF is run and won, nobody cares (apart from the winning team and it’s supporters).

Nobody cares. Nobody.

The thing which I realised after 2016 is that after the GF is run and won, nobody cares (apart from the winning team and it’s supporters).

Nobody cares. Nobody.
I left the week after the GF in 2016 so I don't know what it was like here with our supporters. However, I don't think I would have acted like a pork chop like some Richmond supporters I know. I'll have to check and see if my chemist still has his Richmond balloons and streamers in his shop like he had until Christmas after the 2017 win.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I left the week after the GF in 2016 so I don't know what it was like here with our supporters. However, I don't think I would have acted like a pork chop like some Richmond supporters I know. I'll have to check and see if my chemist still has his Richmond balloons and streamers in his shop like he had until Christmas after the 2017 win.

I think the goodwill lasted a while in 2016, but by December, I could see eyes rolling when I mentioned our flag. Didn’t stop me bringing it up over and over again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back