No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Wian we got 16 games last season in Melbourne and Ballarat by your own figures.

We chose our home ground and get to play other co tennants there.

This means we played 6 games away from Melbourne and Ballarat and they play 7. How is that a massive advantage?

Every other major football competition in the world every team plays half there games at home half away. I don't get how Geelong are being looked after in any untoward way particularly considering they don't even get to play half of their games at their home ground like other teams in the competition who chose not to give away their home ground

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My point is Geelong playing down in Geelong against a Melbourne side is a massive advantage. (they got at least 5 games down there against Melbourne sides in 2019) The ground is a different dimension, they train there every week there too, and sweet f@@k all opposition supporters get in there.. On the flip side, us playing St Kilda , Essendon, Carlton, or any other Melbourne team at docklands isn't as big of an advantage as Geelong playing a Melbourne team down there. (Do you see what I'm trying to point out?) it's not fair at all.. They get 9 clear home ground advantage games and another 6 in Melbourne at neutral ground. We get to play at marvel and ballarat against 6 interstate sides, and the rest are neutral games as they are not really a home ground advantage when we play other Melbourne sides in Melbourne

Proof is in the pudding. They have made around 16 finals series in the last 20 years. That's a pretty impressive strike rate in a supposed equal competition.. They get a massive advantage due to their home ground..

Surely a more sinister home ground advantage is the one the MCG tenants get every September when it counts most?

Even if we are good enough to finish the H&A season ahead of Richmond (or any of those other MCG tenants), any final we play against them will be at THEIR home ground, not ours. If an interstate side makes the GF it's not on neutral ground (like Wembley in the FA Cup for instance) but at the other side's home ground.

Why not make a fuss about that?

It is what it is. There are plenty of other things to get angry about that we might actually have a chance of changing.

My point is Geelong playing down in Geelong against a Melbourne side is a massive advantage. (they got at least 5 games down there against Melbourne sides in 2019) The ground is a different dimension, they train there every week there too, and sweet f@@k all opposition supporters get in there.. On the flip side, us playing St Kilda , Essendon, Carlton, or any other Melbourne team at docklands isn't as big of an advantage as Geelong playing a Melbourne team down there. (Do you see what I'm trying to point out?) it's not fair at all.. They get 9 clear home ground advantage games and another 6 in Melbourne at neutral ground. We get to play at marvel and ballarat against 6 interstate sides, and the rest are neutral games as they are not really a home ground advantage when we play other Melbourne sides in Melbourne

Proof is in the pudding. They have made around 16 finals series in the last 20 years. That's a pretty impressive strike rate in a supposed equal competition.. They get a massive advantage due to their home ground..
If Geelong play all of their home games in Geelong, then why are Docklands or the MCG still considered neutral grounds for them?

The fact those games are played in Victoria where the Cats are based isn't a reason as we'd otherwise consider the Cattery to be a neutral ground for all other Melbourne clubs, and they'd end up playing a similar number of games at MCG and Docklands as the interstate sides (perhaps 2-3 at each) who don't consider them neutral grounds.

They should get 3-4 games at their home ground in Geelong against the interstate sides like the rest of the Melbourne clubs do.(Which is a true home ground advantage) Then they should play their other home games at Marvel or the MCG (their choice) like the rest of the Victorian teams do where there isn't a true home ground advantage as the majority of the fans on both sides can attend the games . Stiff s**t as far as I'm concerned. That makes it fair and equitable for all the Victorian clubs.. They should be made to be a tenant at Marvel in my opinion as that is the closest co tenant stadium to Geelong .. They shouldn't get such a massive advantage to make finals every year..

Ok that is one side of the argument which is not without merit, but there are factors on the other side such as the uniqueness of Geelong being a rural town an hour away from Melbourne. The whole identity of the club would change if they only played 3 games a year there. Ok you clearly hate Geelong and that is your right and you can say thats great that the club would change and lose its local base of support and home ground advantage, but it just isn’t as easy as saying they have this great advantage so take it away.

I also wouldnt be so sure in thinking that they make finals every year because of their home ground advantage.

Just about every year they have made the finals they have been top four easily. They have been a great club over the last 15 years. Saying that is just because of a home ground advantage is a bit petty in my opinion.

For example they beat the great Hawthorn teams constantly at the G during the Kennett curse era.

And let’s not talk about some of the floggings they have given us at Docklands over that period.

I've been assured this isn't a rumour, but it looks as though according to what Channel 7 presented to their shareholders today the last 4 rounds will see Friday Nights subject to Flex Scheduling. If you know the NFL and their Sunday Night schedule you'll know exactly how this works.

Surely a more sinister home ground advantage is the one the MCG tenants get every September when it counts most?

Even if we are good enough to finish the H&A season ahead of Richmond (or any of those other MCG tenants), any final we play against them will be at THEIR home ground, not ours. If an interstate side makes the GF it's not on neutral ground (like Wembley in the FA Cup for instance) but at the other side's home ground.

Why not make a fuss about that?

It is what it is. There are plenty of other things to get angry about that we might actually have a chance of changing.

Has it been that much of an advantage over history? Sure Richmond is making use of it now and Hawthorn before them but not a lot of MCG tenants won between 1997 and 2012.

They should get 3-4 games at their home ground in Geelong against the interstate sides like the rest of the Melbourne clubs do.(Which is a true home ground advantage) Then they should play their other home games at Marvel or the MCG (their choice) like the rest of the Victorian teams do where there isn't a true home ground advantage as the majority of the fans on both sides can attend the games . Stiff s**t as far as I'm concerned. That makes it fair and equitable for all the Victorian clubs.. They should be made to be a tenant at Marvel in my opinion as that is the closest co tenant stadium to Geelong .. They shouldn't get such a massive advantage to make finals every year..
You keep talking about “the rest of the Melbourne clubs” but the point is Geelong isn’t a Melbourne club. To me they should play as many home games in Geelong as all the interstate teams play at home.

I've been assured this isn't a rumour, but it looks as though according to what Channel 7 presented to their shareholders today the last 4 rounds will see Friday Nights subject to Flex Scheduling. If you know the NFL and their Sunday Night schedule you'll know exactly how this works.
I don’t mind it as long as some reasonable notice is given ie it’s not just decided the end of the previous round.

Has it been that much of an advantage over history? Sure Richmond is making use of it now and Hawthorn before them but not a lot of MCG tenants won between 1997 and 2012.
Yes it really is quite ridiculous.

Every club that has success achieves it purely because of an unfair advantage they have.

I don’t mind it as long as some reasonable notice is given ie it’s not just decided the end of the previous round.
Makes sense from a broadcaster's perspective, not ideal from a fan or club perspective, unless significant notice is given as you mentioned. Suspect it will be the bye rounds that they announce the remaining schedule.

Yes it really is quite ridiculous.

Every club that has success achieves it purely because of an unfair advantage they have.
Quite correct - we only won the flag because of the iniquitous bye!
I really don't know. I was just using it as an example of other aspects of fixturing that are not truly "level-playing field".

I know people complain about it here every September when Richmond are in the finals. Oddly enough they don't seem to mention it so much in relation to Collingwood or Hawthorn. No idea why.

My point is that there are other things that might be more realistic and achievable in levelling the playing field, e.g. access to blockbusters. Not saying it's easy, but it should be possible.

I don't get the whinging about the Cats home ground. Marvel and MCG tenants can get 14-15 games at Marvel/MCG each season. So even when they are the "away team" vs another co tenant, it essentially is a neutral game. The Cats only get to play 7 or 8 games at the Cattery, and have to play their other "home" games, away vs Marvel and MCG teams

So as a Bulldogs fan, 2/3 of our games each year could be home advantage/neutral. Which 2/3 of the Cats games are essentially away games.

The only reason it looks like the Cats have this so called advantage, is because they have been a good team for almost 15 years in a row now? They get a lot of their wins vs form teams like Hawks, Pies, Tigers etc at the G as the "home" team

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let the cats play more games out of the albatross around their neck otherwise known as GMHBALBGQTA Stadium.

Let them pad out their ladder position by beating mid-tier teams who rarely travel to and have no understanding of how to play inside a wet sausage.

Let their fans get ahead of themselves.

Let them get found out on the wide expanses of the G when it truly matters.

The flip side of this is that they get a massive disadvantage in finals (very much like interstate teams). That has been, very painfully, brought out for them since 2011.

Interesting decision to axe Marn Grook. If we're being honest, it was pretty ordinary analysis but it provided a different angle to the others and surely was one of the networks better rating shows.
I rarely watched Marn Grook, but it seemed like a decent show and had more footy content than TFS :(

Did anyone else read Damien Barrett’s article on North Melbourne on the AFL app today? It doesn’t paint a pretty picture for them. I know there are some on here that just hate North, not me necessarily. We have similar histories and supporter bases and working class roots. If I barracked for them I’d be worried. Can 9 teams survive in Melbourne? Are we creating a better niche in the market in the Western suburbs as compared to them in the crowded Northern suburbs (Essendon, Carlton and even Collingwood up that corridor)? Could they go to Tassie permanently? Is that a better option than merging with a Melbourne based club, staying home but only have half you culture? Or even a quarter if it was a ‘big club’? If they fall are we next? Can Australian rules football afford to lose any historic clubs, even the so-called smaller ones that have hundreds of thousands of rusted on fans who support through good and bad times?

Did anyone else read Damien Barrett’s article on North Melbourne on the AFL app today? It doesn’t paint a pretty picture for them. I know there are some on here that just hate North, not me necessarily. We have similar histories and supporter bases and working class roots. If I barracked for them I’d be worried. Can 9 teams survive in Melbourne? Are we creating a better niche in the market in the Western suburbs as compared to them in the crowded Northern suburbs (Essendon, Carlton and even Collingwood up that corridor)? Could they go to Tassie permanently? Is that a better option than merging with a Melbourne based club, staying home but only have half you culture? Or even a quarter if it was a ‘big club’? If they fall are we next? Can Australian rules football afford to lose any historic clubs, even the so-called smaller ones that have hundreds of thousands of rusted on fans who support through good and bad times?

Nah we are concentrating on the massive growth that will hit Ballarat in 2064 as the future 🤦🏼‍♂️

If the article is accurate, they are bringing it on themselves through massive payouts to sacked officials. AFL might choose to tie their "equalisation" bailout, if or, more likely, when it gets to that, to becoming the Tassie Kangaroos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back